Ballin's binning

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
I'm positive the timekeeper stuffed up. He was sent off with the clock showing 66:50 or thereabouts and was back on before the clock ticked past 75. Bizarre.

Side looked great though. We just have to work on closing out the game late - we had two chances for a field goal and also should have looked to put the ball into touch on our last set.

I think he was a little but unlucky to get binned. I have the feeling Lewis Brown didn't think he was held and was about to look for support or try and run. He definitely didn't get up to play the ball and I think Ballin thought the same thing.

As for the clock. Its not that unusual watching the NZ feed that the clock can go a little bonkers. Stay still for a few minutes, go backwards, skip time. I trust the time keeper.

I didn't think Lewis Brown got up to try to off load; he stood straight up and didn't look around for any supporting player in which he did have time to do. Lewis heard the call, Matt didn't. Unfortunate. And if Matt didn't hear the call, and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt now, the ref still must act on what he sees (and not what he perceives) and send someone to the bin for deliberately slowing down the play - especially at such a crucial time. Sorry folks, I am taking off my maroon and white glasses for a moment.

I'm with you captainskin. I just think they are inconsistent with the rule. That's 10 in the bin everyday of the week.

There was plenty of times that the Kiwis could have been binned as well but didn't happen, I always get suspicious when that happens to a side, in front, in a big game, and in front of a huge home ground wether the refs get intimidated or are just trying to even things up I don't know.

Brewski said:
I'm with you captainskin. I just think they are inconsistent with the rule. That's 10 in the bin everyday of the week.

Wrong. No-one ever gets binned on a Tuesday.

Professional foul every day of the week. However, it's tough to swallow considering how many penalties were awarded to us for NZ holding down. I was sure one of the NZ players would have been binned early in the second half but the referees just kept penalising them.

I thought it was a fair call, although I can understand why Ballin did it. It's hard to pull out of instinctive reactions.

Matabele said:
I'm positive the timekeeper stuffed up. He was sent off with the clock showing 66:50 or thereabouts and was back on before the clock ticked past 75. Bizarre.

Side looked great though. We just have to work on closing out the game late - we had two chances for a field goal and also should have looked to put the ball into touch on our last set.

I recall the time being 64 minutes somehting when sent, think it is on the highlights

There were problems with the clock on the tv yesterday. The clock on the telly ran out about 40 secs before the hooter went for halftime too.

DSM5 said:
I thought it was a fair call, although I can understand why Ballin did it. It's hard to pull out of instinctive reactions.

I too thought it a fair call. However I question the inconsistency of refs. They are only human, and with NZ coming back into the match and looking likely to score with just 12 minutes remaining, it didn't surprise that the ref would react. Had the incident happened much earlier in the game it may have drawn a penalty, but certainly not a sin-bin.

This is 1 rule i favor being penalised differently depending on time of the game, part of the field etc. It was a fair call. I also applaud ballins actions. He took a chance and committed a professional foul.

Nice read matty ballin, and nice team effort to back him up

Yeah the clock on the tele kept being wrong at the ends of the halves.

Also it was a fair sin binning, just unfortunate as Ballin may have thought that he wasn't held (either that or was actually trying to slow it down).

No consistency.

With Ballin in the bin Lyon took an intercept and bolted up field until dragged down by Lock i think.

From that play the ball and the next one there were offside Warriors all over the place stopping Manly scoring the try.

Sure G Stewart got the try soon enough but Manly should've got a penalty earlier and some NZ player sent to the bin.

I thought it was fair enough, it may have been a gut reaction rather than an actual intentional foul, and really more than likely he probably didn't hear the "held" call, given there were at least 3 other occassions where players had to ask the ref if they had to play it or it was play on, I think this rule may need tweaking, If the ref wasn't right with the play, as he unlikely was, then how can they expect a player to hear above all the noise.

Technically a fair sin binning, and that is all you can ask of the refs, so I have no problem with it, but I can see why Ballin was not happy with it.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8