Barrett slams auckland nines

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Pretty tame

The should have kept Toovey as coach for at least the 9's as he would have gone off his brain at the NRL.

There is nothing better than a Toovey spray and we wll miss his personality this year. At least fox have kept him on. Hope that he still wears his Manly polo on Fox

Toovey's sprays were all over the shop. Some were very on point, some the message got lost because of his expression or the words he chose. Then the one on NRL360 when he was whinging about the speed of the game was cringe worthy...

It is ludicrous that when players go down, there's not an ability to replace them for the next game. Even more so in nines. Sure, there might be restrictions so you can't bring a fresh team of first graders into a final. Or not. The swimmers do that in Olympic relays, and it works.

This, plus the failure to charge the head high tackle which broke Jamie's jaw, or the knee to the head which put out Jake shows the weakness of the current NRL management in managing player welfare.

Greenberg should not get anywhere near the CEO position. He's a chook without a head.

Being able to replace injured players should be allowed regardless if it's at the start or during the comp. Jorge got injured before the 9's started and can't be replaced? Really? All this concern over player welfare and simple things like this are denied. With all due respect to Dylan Kelly Manly didn't bring a DCE to increase the strength of the team to win the comp so where is this disadvantage to other teams Greenberg keeps bringing up? It meant that Manly went into a comp with 17 players instead of 18 like all the other teams.

I can understand the point Teflon Todd is making (that there is an inherit disadvantage to other clubs if Manly were allowed to bring in another player). What I can not understand is his lack of forward thinking that this situation presented i.e. there should be a couple of replacement players allowed for the comp next year if player are ruled out as a result of foul play etc

As he should.

If it's such a great concept - teams wouldn't need to be forced to take some of their top line players.

To have a limit of players is also stupid, and goes against the nrl's claim that they care about player welfare.

I don't have a real problem with the nines and in fact enjoy seeing some of the 'non stars' get a run that we wouldn't see in the main season.

But when a player is injured before the comp and can't be replaced...that is ridiculous.

Let teams bring as many players as they want to. Allow for injury replacements. Actually look at lifting knees and swinging arms and don't sweep them under the carpet.

It's a tourney mainly aimed for the kiwis (no probs from me there), but clubs shouldn't be punished for providing such entertainment.

A real players union would be all over this.

Again - the rugby 7's are well attended without the drama's.

The nrl are simply incapable of efficiently running a competition to the standard that they think they do.

I can understand the point Teflon Todd is making (that there is an inherit disadvantage to other clubs if Manly were allowed to bring in another player).

I don't. As I understand it all the other teams had 18 players and we had 17 because Jorge pulled out BEFORE the tournament started. It's not like we conspired against the other teams by naming Jorge and then replacing him with our "big gun" Dylan Kelly to catch them by surprise so we could take out the Nines...

Each year, clubs put up less and less top quality players into the Nines and decisions like this one mean the trend will continue next year. In a few years I expect no genuine first graders will be competing unless they start making decisions with a little more common sense.

I heard some talk the reason Jorge couldn't be replaced in the squad was because he was the selected "Marquee" player, and as such would've only been replaceable by someone the powers that be deemed 'marquee'. Which if true, then i guess fair enough. They really do need to bring in something for the main competition though where once one player is done and has no chance of coming back that game, especially with emphasis on concussion these days, an emergency player can join the bench, just make it like the old days where the emergency has to have played at least X minutes of the lower grade game before / has no more than X games of nrl experience and its not as easy to rort.

I don't. As I understand it all the other teams had 18 players and we had 17 because Jorge pulled out BEFORE the tournament started. It's not like we conspired against the other teams by naming Jorge and then replacing him with our "big gun" Dylan Kelly to catch them by surprise so we could take out the Nines...

Each year, clubs put up less and less top quality players into the Nines and decisions like this one mean the trend will continue next year. In a few years I expect no genuine first graders will be competing unless they start making decisions with a little more common sense.
There is a safeguard put in place by the Promoter that only Players in the top 25 at a Club can form the Team. Plus 5 of those have to be marquee etc

The useless RLPA, along with the Club Doctors should threaten the NRL with liability suits to stop the carnage.:lightbulb:

In 2014 it happened to the Broncs, I don't recall who it happened to last year, now it's Manly :swear:

Bird said in their semi loss, that the Titans only got an hour turn around from the end of their Pool match. Their opposition had 2 hours.

They need to add more alternate games like the Women's League etc to entertain the crowd after the Pool games are finished as well as after the semis are completed. Warriors had 40 minutes less recovery than Parra yesterday :cool:

There is a safeguard put in place by the Promoter that only Players in the top 25 at a Club can form the Team. Plus 5 of those have to be marquee etc

Thanks for that HM, I didn't know that and it makes sense, but it has left me a bit confused...

We left out Brett Stewart, Jamie Lyon, Steve Matai, Dylan Walker, DCE, Nate Myles, Marty Taupau, Lewis Brown, Api Korosau, and Darcy Lussick. Surely all of those 10 are in our top 25, which means only 15 of the 18 we sent (including Jorge) could have been in our top 25?

Thanks for that HM, I didn't know that and it makes sense, but it has left me a bit confused...

We left out Brett Stewart, Jamie Lyon, Steve Matai, Dylan Walker, DCE, Nate Myles, Marty Taupau, Lewis Brown, Api Korosau, and Darcy Lussick. Surely all of those 10 are in our top 25, which means only 15 of the 18 we sent (including Jorge) could have been in our top 25?
I don't know who is in Manly's top tier.
It would be interesting to have it up as part of the Profiles page.

I just recall the Promoter insisting on this format for 5 years. It started in 2014, so should remain for the next 2. That's why they underwrote the huge prize money and appearance fees. Plus it has to be in AKL.

I'm pretty sure it is you need one of your top 5 earners and 12 of your top 25

I wouldn't be surprised if we never had any of playing Jorge and were hoping to sneak Kelly in from the get go

All sixteen NRL clubs compete in the tournament. Each squad included at least 12 of their top 25 players in their squad, and at least one marquee player. The winner of the tournament received AUD$500,000 with a total prize pool of AUD$2,250,000

Winning team ($AUD370,000), runner-up ($AUD240,000), semi-finalists ($AUD165,000), quarter-finalists ($AUD130,000) and round robin losers ($AUD110,000)

They removed the requirement of Top 5 earners this year, plus extended the squad to 18 from 16

As semi finalists, Manly made 165k

2v's idea of getting the hell out of there, was strategically better IMO

Not sure we are talking about the same thing. I could understand how the NRL could interpret what we did as a way to not play the correct amount of marquee players

For me if a player is lost via injury (as a result of foul play) for the tournament then they should be able to be replaced much like the free interchange for on report

The rules for the Nines probably should have provision for teams to carry a couple of extra players, like they have an 18th and sometimes 19th man for State of Origin matches. The rules don't provide for that according to Greenberg, which meant that it was a matter for him to determine at his discretion.

If ever there was a case for special dispensation this was it given the severity of our injury toll. Jorge was unable to play at all so I honestly can't see how having him "in the squad" constitutes an unfair advantage. We were a player down for the whole tournament, so we were in fact at an obvious disadvantage.

I hear what you are saying about marquees and top 25 players, but Jorge was surely not our one marquee player, and any perceived "advantage" we would get by only playing 11 rather than 12 of our top 25 is surely outweighed by player welfare concerns in an era where that is supposed to be paramount.

I would have thought common sense would have to apply at some stage, but Greenberg was the one making the call and the club was Manly so I'm hardly surprised at the result. My concern isn't really so much about the decision itself (who cares - it's the Nines), but more about the glimpse it provides into how we will be treated should Greenberg assume the top job.

Another example of their inability to run anything other than a battery down to flat is when the ref called time off in one of our games (against the dogs I think) and then the siren went.

so time was called off with 10-15 seconds to go.....but then the siren still went off. The ref said, that yes he blew time off....but if the siren goes off...he has no other option but to obey it!!!

fmd - is that really the most professional way to run a comp?

todd once slammed brookie for the time keeper not being able to see the refs...or some such rubbish....

but here if the siren arbitrarily goes off....it's game over!

What would he have done if it went off 3 mins into the second half???

Anyway - I picture todd up in the time keeper's box wildly thrashing at the siren to get the game over so we couldn't beat his dogs!

- Such a professionally and transparently run organisation....noooooooooooooooot!

common sense

images (2).jpg

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4