BEARS LIFT THE CURSE

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
G

Thought you would get a good laugh out of this. They should have done this when they had a team in the NRL. Bit late now.

The North Sydney Bears last night lifted the so-called “Curse of the Kalahari” as they launched their 2007 season at North Sydney Oval.

The Bears Premier League and Jersey Flegg teams were on hand as an indigenous smoking ceremony took place designed to cleanse the ground of a supposed 200 year-old spell.

According to local legend, at the time of British invasion of the North Shore, the local tribe, the Kamaraigals, placed a curse on the area incorporating North Sydney Oval in retaliation for the dispossession of their land.

North Sydney General Manager Greg Florimo said while the story itself might be apocryphal, the Bears were due for a change in fortune.

“I’m not sure how accurate the curse theory is but the Bears made it to four preliminary finals in the 1990s without reaching a single Grand Final so it’s possible there’s some bad luck associated with the ground,” Florimo said.

“We’re willing to try just about anything at this point”.

Indigenous elder Uncle Max performed the smoking ceremony on the playing surface itself, cleansing the ground and the Bears players who walked through it.

They were joined by Souths coach and former Bears legend, Jason Taylor, local Mayor, Genia McCaffery, high profile supporter, Nine’s Sunday Night News host Mike Munro and a number of local sponsors.

“Uncle Max even cleansed the home dressing room for us, but we made certain to keep him out of the away team’s sheds.

“We want to ensure that from now on, we have the upper hand whenever the Bears run out onto the hallowed turf of North Sydney Oval.

Article 2

“But the ceremony wasn’t just about bringing good fortune to the Bears. It was also an acknowledgement of the traditional owners of the land”.

An Aboriginal elder named Uncle Max performed a smoking ceremony at North Sydney Oval to lift a curse imposed by the last of the Cammeraygal tribe in protest against white settlers driving his people from their land.

Allen Madden, from the Metropolitan Aboriginal Land Council, who organised the curse-lifting, said: "A smoking ceremony is an Aboriginal welcome to the country. The white fellas might have been welcomed to this country by others, but not by Aboriginals."

Madden said Uncle Max was skilled at smoking ceremonies. "He smoked the Pope at Royal Randwick and he did it for the 2000 Sydney Olympics and at the birthday of the Harbour Bridge."

North Sydney's Greg Florimo said the lifting of the curse was overdue. "There were four seasons in the 1990s when we got to the penultimate game but not past it," he said. "If that's not an example of the curse, I don't know what is."

Asked what Uncle Max would do with the curse, Madden said, "He'll move it somewhere else."

Doubtless, Bears supporters believe Brookvale would be an ideal location.

Haha...I miss the old Bears v Eagles rivalry. Seriously. One of my fondest moments was going to a Friday night game at NSO in '95 or '96 and watching us smash them 36-6.

I think the lack of success was more to do with the gutless players, sh*t coaches and inbred supporters than an aboriginal curse.

ill hold a tradiotal scottish cursing ceremony next time im out there to make sure they continue on the non merry ways.

(basically it involves the traditional amber blood and a lot of cursing)

Never a serious team, more like our feeder club. It was always good to see them get smashed.

I've fcuken heard it all now....we had a drunk aboriginal who was kicked out of the family pub and barred for life about 20 years ago and he put a curse on our family in his drunken state- total crap!

I think the lack of success was more to do with the gutless players, sh*t coaches and inbred supporters than an aboriginal curse.

Steady on wheel.

Are you calling the norths players that Manly bought as gutless? Wee Donny Mckinnon, Ken Irvine, Cliffy L, Matt orford? I don't think Ron Willey and Noel Kelly were **** coaches (Jason Taylor actually coached the bears while he was also playing for the past 2 years that they were in the comp and I think that he is going to be a very good coach) and I don't know too many suporters who married their sisters (Ryan might).

Thier lack of sucess was more due to the inepct managerement that they had for many years with Harry McKinnon and Acker Forbes. The club went much better as a whole once david hill came on to the scene.

[quote author=The Wheel]

Steady on wheel.

Are you calling the norths players that Manly bought as gutless? Wee Donny Mckinnon, Ken Irvine, Cliffy L, Matt orford? I don't think Ron Willey and Noel Kelly were **** coaches (Jason Taylor actually coached the bears while he was also playing for the past 2 years that they were in the comp and I think that he is going to be a very good coach) and I don't know too many suporters who married their sisters (Ryan might).

Thier lack of sucess was more due to the inepct managerement that they had for many years with Harry McKinnon and Acker Forbes. The club went much better as a whole once david hill came on to the scene.

[/quote]

I knew that woudld get a bite, I am just dissapointed Ryan didn't take the bait. For the players I was alluding to the mayoh bros, doug rollinson, Ian French, Larry kelly and Rex Wright types

[quote author=tookey]
[quote author=The Wheel]

Steady on wheel.

[/quote]

I knew that woudld get a bite, I am just dissapointed Ryan didn't take the bait. For the players I was alluding to the mayoh bros, doug rollinson, Ian French, Larry kelly and Rex Wright types
[/quote]

Every team has its crap players.

Do you want to me start with the **** players manly has had over the years? Bernard Dywer ring a bell? Andy Wrongway? Michael Pechey? Jorgen rodgers? Adam hayden? Danny Costelloe? Paul "the next Graham Eadie" Beath? Kevin "the next Mal Menninga" Iro? Adam brown? Brett grogan? Steven Crouch. Leon Yeatman? Some real classic norths quality payers there.

So many wheel I could be writing names for days.

And what about those famous coaches. Graham "mini bus" Lowe, Peter Sharp and Max "my team almost won a game" Krillich.

I have met a few inbred supporters as well over the years.

So how many premierships did the bears win over the last 60 years???

Don't mention the reserve grade premierships you won in the early 1990s when Kerry Boustead was at the height of his career

So how many premierships did the bears win over the last 60 years???

Don't mention the reserve grade premierships you won in the early 1990s when Kerry Boustead was at the height of his career

If it wasn't for the curse they would have won dozens. The problem was that the curse came into full efect at 2.30 pm every afternoon. If only they played first grade at 1.30 om Norths would have won heaps of premierships.

Norths had a much better record in the challenge cup though than manly. Have a look at how many times Norths beat manly in this competition:

Challenge Cup Results 1990 - 1995

1990 Channel Ten Challenge Cup 16 Feb Round 1 North Sydney 12 v Manly 10 Tamworth
1991 Lotto Challenge Cup 22 Feb Round 1 Canterbury Bankstown 8 v Manly 4 Lismore
1992 Tooheys Challenge Cup Round 1 Manly 11 v Balmain 7
Quarter Final Cronulla Sutherland 20 v Manly 16
1993 Tooheys Challenge Cup 14 Feb Round 1 North Sydney 14 v Manly 12 Ballina
1994 Tooheys Challenge Cup 11 Feb Round 1 North Sydney 10 v Manly 8
(David Alexander try; Jorgen Rogers 2 from 2 goals). ANZ Stadium, Brisbane, 28,969.
1995 Tooheys Challenge Cup 17 Feb Round 1 Newcastle 16 v Manly 6
(Craig Hancock try; Matthew Ridge 1 from 2 goals). Newcastle, 13,893

And Jorgen rogers kicked 2 goals for Manly. And who said that he was useless.

What was wrong with Graham Lowes coaching ?

I think the coments from the History of Manly say it all "Manly then went through a lean period under Graham Lowe's coaching".

He had a better record for other teams but not when he coached manly.

Actually Lowe was OK in his first year at the club when he brought Adrian Shelford over but after that he got sick and went steadily downhill till Bozo came back

Asked what Uncle Max would do with the curse, Madden said, \"He'll move it somewhere else.\"

Doubtless, Bears supporters believe Brookvale would be an ideal location.

Bloody Roy Masters. You're living in the past Masters! Quit living in the past!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4