Beaver Menzies: Age will not weary him

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/nrl-sea-eagles-beaver-menzies-age-will-not-weary-him/

SEA Eagles legend Steve Menzies has declared his next season playing in France will bring down the curtain on his illustrious career - probably.

Rugby league's Peter Pan, who turns 39 in December, is back in Australia for a break with his family before his third season with Super League club Catalans.

And "Beaver" doesn't look a day older than he did when he played his final game for Manly in the 2008 grand final.

"I've just signed one more 12 month deal, I'm pretty sure that will be it," Menzies said.

"That will be five years overseas which is pretty crazy when you think about it."

While some players of his vintage struggle to get out of their recliner rockers, Menzies enjoys playing as much as ever.

"I suppose the older you get you really appreciate what you do for a living - to be able to play football and get paid for it," he said.

"I just love playing, I've loved it since I was six-years-old and I can't really imagine stopping playing at the moment."

Menzies said his good run with injuries was one of the reasons for still being competitive at the top level.

"And not being too serious, always having a bit of fun and not getting too stressed out which suits me," he said.

"The scariest thing for me is if you played too long and people say 'he used be a good player, what is he doing out there now?'."

Menzies, his wife Suyin and their children Miller and Harper live in Canet en Roussillon, a coastal town in the south of France 15 minutes from Perpignan.

"We are really enjoying it over there, it's a beautiful part of the world and a great place to live," he said.

"But the language is a bit hard when you first get over there, I'm pretty hopeless."

When he does finally finishes playing Menzies would like to come back to the Manly club.

"I'm very passionate about the Sea Eagles and I'd love to be involved somehow," he said.

IBOLT_P1299521_4193123_resized.jpg

DSM5 said:
Please play one more game for us. Just a wonderful human being.
While I'd love to see him play again I think the way he finished his career for us, scoring a try in a 40-0 GF win was magic. No Manly supporter will ever forget that game.

You're right Moondog, but just imagine on a Sunny Sunday afternoon, at Brookvale, Beaver running out to break that scummy Lamb's record. The old park would be bursting at the seams.

DSM5 said:
You're right Moondog, but just imagine on a Sunny Sunday afternoon, at Brookvale, Beaver running out to break that scummy Lamb's record. The old park would be bursting at the seams.

Yep, ive always thought he could of gone 1 more year with us before Europe and it would seem he could have done that AND come back for a last dig back on home soil for us aswell (coming off the bench)

The true example of the word
Champion......
The Eagles should always have a place for him to come home to, he has maroon and white blood in his veins, wish he never went OS.

It's great that he'll be coming back to get involved with Manly in some way. The importance of what a bloke like him brings to a club's culture cannot be overstated.

DSM5 said:

He'd need to play 2 more games to overtake Lamb.

So two more at Brookie please Beave. Imagine the crowd, Brookie might hit 18k.

Volley said:
DSM5 said:

I thought he equaled Lamb but is 1 game behind Lockyer?

I always thought that not signing him for 1 more season was the worst decision this club has ever made. He deserves that record. The fact that he has played 5 more seasons, albeit all of them in the English Superleague, proves that he could easily have managed one more season in the NRL.

Napper said:
Volley said:
DSM5 said:

I thought he equaled Lamb but is 1 game behind Lockyer?

no, they apparently found some game that Lamb played in that wasn't counted, so he is 1 in front of Beaver. Lockyer has 355.

Sad part of this story is we let the beaver go for TREX! That's a very bitter pill to swallow...... My favorite manly player will always be the beaver!

Growing up on the hill watching this bloke run off Cliffy was amazing. What a legend. Come back Beaver.

T-rex was also responsible for global warming, the GFC and my planter box plants not growing

What a legend (Beaver, not lsz - though he might be one too, I dunno).

I predict when he retires he'll become a super fatty. lol.

It'd be nice to meet him one day.

I'll always love Beaver and also Snake - doubles my chances at parties.

Enough silly for now. Beaver is an inspiration. Anyone over 35-40 who talks about being too old to participate in things needs to watch current footage of the great Steve Menzies. Love your work Beaver and yes, please come back to Manly! You are a Mighty Sea Eagle and we look forward to your return.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • Dan
    Kim Jong Dan

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8