Beaver not eager for NRL return

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
SEA Eagles legend Steve Menzies insists his club would have to be in “dire straights” before he would ever contemplate making an NRL comeback this season.

Intrigue has added to the appearance of “Beaver” in the Auckland Nines this weekend with the 40-year-old not totally slamming the door shut on answering an SOS during the year.

But Menzies emphasised that playing in the Nines tournament is simply the chance to pull on his beloved maroon and white jumper one more time.

“To play for Manly in my last game is something special for me,” Menzies said

“This isn’t a stepping stone or anything like that, it’s just to have a bit of fun in the nines and promote the game and promote the club.

“And that’s where it will end.”

But what would happen if the club approached him during the season to help out.

“There are a lot of things to happen before that came about,” Menzies said.

“They would need to be in dire straits and lots of injuries.

“It’s Manly so I would have to consider it.

“That’s just the scenario.

“We’ll see what happens but it is definitely just the nines at this stage.”

And Menzies said in his discussions with coach Geoff Toovey the possibility of playing in the NRL had never been raised.

Toovey also played poured water on the possibility of Menzies making an NRL comeback.

“I’d never say never but it’ a long, long bow to draw to think he is going to be playing in 13s,” Toovey said.

“We have some quality players and some quality young blokes coming through, I think we will be alright at this stage.”

Jon Geddes
Manly Daily

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/beaver-menzies-not-eager-for-nrl-return-this-season/story-fngr8iii-1226823807133

SEA Eagles legend Steve Menzies insists his club would have to be in “dire straights” before he would ever contemplate making an NRL comeback this season.

Read More

INXS, Dire Staits, Who's next ? :)

Beaver is just on Channel 7 News looking younger than ever :angel:
Wolfie has bid Randee Lee farewell :heart:

I'm just glad to have him around (in whatever capacity). We need club icons/legends to be involved with the club going forward.

Killer03 said:
I'm just glad to have him around (in whatever capacity). We need club icons/legends to be involved with the club going forward.

Love the Beaver and what a great roll model he is not just for Manly but for the NRL as well. But now its time for the Youngsters and new kids on the block to get their turn, not fair for them.

Eagle Rock said:
Killer03 said:

Love the Beaver and what a great roll model he is not just for Manly but for the NRL as well. But now its time for the Youngsters and new kids on the block to get their turn, not fair for them.

Here here!

I know this has been mentioned on previous threads, but it is an absolute crime that the NRL have not used the image of Steve Menzies to promote the game. To show kids you don't need to be a w@nker to succeed, that in fact nice guys can finish first.

Killer03 said:
Eagle Rock said:
Killer03 said:

Here here!

I know this has been mentioned on previous threads, but it is an absolute crime that the NRL have not used the image of Steve Menzies to promote the game. To show kids you don't need to be a w@nker to succeed, that in fact nice guys can finish first.

Notice that Minichello (in his last year of league) is the new face of rugby league this year.

Beaver to play one more game so the eagles jersey is the last he wears while playing professional football. I would prefer he play more but one will do.

Yes we know, lol, we all love beaver.

Killer03 said:
Eagle Rock said:
Killer03 said:

Here here!

If I could I would've given that multiple likes. Taking my Manly glasses off for a second, I don't understand how Beaver has not being marketed as the NRL's way forward.:(

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6