Benefits of playing behind a big scary pack ... Look at th Dogs !

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Beaver boy

Reserve Grader
The old adage of "the halves feed off the teams go forward" has never been more poigniant the way the game is played now.

Hodgkinson isn't 1/10th of the player DCE is but is looking like a champion at the moment.
Mbye is a talent, but he too is feeding off a monster forward pack making huge meters and creating second phase footy . He's good but looks better than what he is.

I watched the Dogs last night and they have a pack that has size, agression and skill. The have unearthed this second rower Lane, who is 110kg, with speed and footwork. Dont forgot they had TRex, Jackson and Graham missing last night.

Addd them three to Klemmer, Lane, Pritchard, Eastwood, Tolman, Kasiano and you have one serious engine room.

We have gone some way to adding size with Myles and Lussick but I think we are one bopper away from being anywhere near an intimidating pack.

There just isn't enough room for Leary, Buhrer, Brown, Lawrence all in the 17. They're just too small.

Last edited:
Agree that an huge pack adds so much space & time for the halves but more importantly, it eats away the oppositions energy but there is downside.
Dont be fooled of a couple of games - yes would love a Klemmer type up front but the all monster pack will come against them by seasons end imo.
The speed of the game also allows some agile forwards & though the Dogs ripped the heart out of Melbourne watch them struggle to contain the likes of Cordner, Cooper, Taumololo on the edges come finals time when the pace heats up to a new level & absolutely struggle containing the quicker blokes in around that ruck.
Size is important but the key imo is more frankly, a lack of aggression....I mean if Matai's body was up to it & you put him in the back row, he would scare crap out of the biggest of forwards & hurt them.
Do you remember the scraggly looking Rambo Gibbs - gave away 10-20kg to most forwards but hammered them & always - intimidated them.
This is whats missing more than just size - aggression.

Dogs were awesome tonight.
Yes and no Commander. Storm could not hold them in the first 15-20 minutes but then Storm came back and actually dominated field position later in the first half. If they had a bit more in attack they would have scored one or 2 tries and been right back in it. Storm just didn't have the attack.
The final 65 minutes was 4-all.

From next season the Scumdogs monster forward pack is going to work against them with the new interchange rules.
That's a myth. They have two starting props who can play 80 in Tolman and Graham, they have two backrowers that can play 80 in Jackson and Trex. That Klemmer looks to have a huge motor as well. That guy Lane last night just played 80. The only guys who I see that cant play big minutes are Kasiano and Eastwood every other forward they have can go long minutes.

And credit where due to Raelene Castle for taking the Dogs back to Belmore. Great move for rugby league.

The dogs are powerful up front with lots of depth but even with that dominance they didnt really threaten the drizzle that much after the 50th minute of the game. I think they are a dark horse come finals time though as it gives them an advantage moving forward and they also have a spare half if they need it.

When did we ever have a monster forward pack yet we've always been competitive.I think we don't have the coaching staff to utilise them in a different manner than just hit ups.

How about showing them offloads & how to also be ball players.Watch the dogs forwards do it they almost play like backs.

8th with a good injury toll is a benefit, we could have achieved that cruising if we werent missing half a team most of the season

The old adage of "the halves feed off the teams go forward" has never been more poigniant the way the game is played now.

Hodgkinson isn't 1/10th of the player DCE is but is looking like a champion at the moment.
Mbye is a talent, but he too is feeding off a monster forward pack making huge meters and creating second phase footy . He's good but looks better than what he is.

I watched the Dogs last night and they have a pack that has size, agression and skill. The have unearthed this second rower Lane, who is 110kg, with speed and footwork. Dont forgot they had TRex, Jackson and Graham missing last night.

Addd them three to Klemmer, Lane, Pritchard, Eastwood, Tolman, Kasiano and you have one serious engine room.

We have gone some way to adding size with Myles and Lussick but I think we are one bopper away from being anywhere near an intimidating pack.

There just isn't enough room for Leary, Buhrer, Brown, Lawrence all in the 17. They're just too small.
I admire what Dessie is doing. He has a clever plan with all these big fellas and actually has them enjoying their football.
I just diagree with you about Buhrer and Lawrenece. I still think speed in the forwards is an asset, and Buhrer and Lawrence can be apportion no blame for this current misery!
NYEagle

If you cast your mind back to the 2013 GF the Rorters had a big difference in size in the forwards and we smacked their bums in defence and unlucky to lose the game. Compare:
Manly......Lawrence, Ballin, Kite, Watmough, Horo, Stewart.
Bench.....Gower,Buhrer, Symonds, Rose.

Rorters: JWH, Friend, Moa, Guerrea, Sonny Bill, FP Nuuausala.
Bench: Mortimer, Aubusson, Cordner, O'Donnell.

Best tacklers I have seen at Manly were Toovey, Randall and Rambo Gibbs .....not big men at all.

If you cast your mind back to the 2013 GF the Rorters had a big difference in size in the forwards and we smacked their bums in defence and unlucky to lose the game. Compare:
Manly......Lawrence, Ballin, Kite, Watmough, Horo, Stewart.
Bench.....Gower,Buhrer, Symonds, Rose.

Rorters: JWH, Friend, Moa, Guerrea, Sonny Bill, FP Nuuausala.
Bench: Mortimer, Aubusson, Cordner, O'Donnell.

Best tacklers I have seen at Manly were Toovey, Randall and Rambo Gibbs .....not big men at all.
You know what you make an excellent point here.

Also, we look at results this year and keep thinking how much we have lost to get to this point. Looking at that 2013 side, we have lost nothing - the team simply aged - something that was predeicted already from 2011 and didnt hit us until late last year.

No matter how much we complain, we are victims of the team running past their use-by date and the game becoming faster and dopier.

NYEagle

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7