Best performance of year.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

EOL now nesting on the GC

Official NRL commentator of the UK Royal Family
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Just watched the match on delay over here in UK.

That was our best performance bar none this season IMHO.

Killer to 5/8 changed the entire playbook and cherry looked a lot more dangerous.

Walkers first touch showed exactly what he is. A ball runner that needs space.

If we had have played that team and formation v the cows and broncs we certainly would not have been smashed as we were.

I agree with others that Starling looks a bit slow. Perhaps fanoua-blake for him.

Given that snake is heading towards the end of a great career he's still very important to our side. Sure he was a bit under done tonight and those mistakes showed that but he has to be in if fit.

If when tafua and matai return we can just get a bit more depth on the backline plays I can see a lot more points coming our way. They just play too flat. Hope that's not something barret is actually coaching.

One last point that really does my head in. Does anyone else wonder why our kick-offs are so shallow and crap! Week after week we kick off ( and lately there have been a lot) and they land in arms somewhere between the 20 and 10. By the time we make the first tackle it's about 30m out. There must be someone in the team that could practice the big deep up and under style that's so dangerous these days. Would love to see to opposition get smashed just as the catch the ball in their
10m zone....

End of the day, we played better, but we lost so I'm not going to sit here and congratulate them. Some of my thought's though mate:-

1. DCE (he was getting hammered by Brandy & others prior to half time). His kicking game makes Jeff Robson's look like a world beater. Jesus, even when he attempted to kick the ball out from penalty kicks he looks poor. He was a LITTLE better, but boy, he deserved the calls from the Fox team.

2. Jamie Lyon / Dylan Walker. I really, REALLY hoped we'd get a Milford-esque player out of Walker, but alas, no. I'm really glad Walker is back in the centres, and think he'll make a fine pair with Matai going forward (for the next 1.5 years).

3. Nate Myles. We looked far more energetic, mobile and agile with him starting from the bench. I STILL think full strength, you start with Lawrence/Turbo as the props, backrow of Taupau, Symonds and Buhrer. Heaps of defense, heaps of impact, heaps of mobility in that. Have Myles, Brown + two on the bench.

4. Api Koroisou is due back next game against The Raiders. Three weeks later Isaac John is due back. I actually think John is the most naturally gifted 5/8 we have at the club.

5. Wright / Wiliame. They need to be depth, because they play like depth. I do not like at ALL Wright's strength and impact. Far too soft. Wiliame is progressing well, but end of the day, Taufua is due back round 13, so it's bye bye to both I hope.

My round 13 team would be:

01. Brett Stewart
02. Jorge Taufua
03. Steve Matai
04. Dylan Walker
05. Tom Trbojevic
06. Jamie Lyon (c)
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Jake Trbojevic
09. Matt Parcell
10. Brenton Lawrence
11. Feleti Mateo
12. Tom Symonds
13. Jamie Buhrer

14. Lewis Brown
15. Nate Myles
16. Siosaia Vave
17. Addin Fanua-Blake

18. Darcy Lussick

I think that team beats most any day of the week, including the top teams. When Taupau comes back, Mateo drops to bench, AFB to NSW Cup - and that's a full team.

End of the day, we played better, but we lost so I'm not going to sit here and congratulate them. Some of my thought's though mate:-

1. DCE (he was getting hammered by Brandy & others prior to half time). His kicking game makes Jeff Robson's look like a world beater. Jesus, even when he attempted to kick the ball out from penalty kicks he looks poor. He was a LITTLE better, but boy, he deserved the calls from the Fox team.

2. Jamie Lyon / Dylan Walker. I really, REALLY hoped we'd get a Milford-esque player out of Walker, but alas, no. I'm really glad Walker is back in the centres, and think he'll make a fine pair with Matai going forward (for the next 1.5 years).

3. Nate Myles. We looked far more energetic, mobile and agile with him starting from the bench. I STILL think full strength, you start with Lawrence/Turbo as the props, backrow of Taupau, Symonds and Buhrer. Heaps of defense, heaps of impact, heaps of mobility in that. Have Myles, Brown + two on the bench.

4. Api Koroisou is due back next game against The Raiders. Three weeks later Isaac John is due back. I actually think John is the most naturally gifted 5/8 we have at the club.

5. Wright / Wiliame. They need to be depth, because they play like depth. I do not like at ALL Wright's strength and impact. Far too soft. Wiliame is progressing well, but end of the day, Taufua is due back round 13, so it's bye bye to both I hope.

01. Brett Stewart
02. Jorge Taufua
03. Steve Matai
04. Dylan Walker
05. Tom Trbojevic
06. Jamie Lyon (c)
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Jake Trbojevic
09. Matt Parcell
10. Brenton Lawrence
11. Feleti Mateo
12. Tom Symonds
13. Jamie Buhrer

14. Lewis Brown
15. Nate Myles
16. Siosaia Vave
17. Addin Fanua-Blake

18. Darcy Lussick

I think that team beats most any day of the week, including the top teams. When Taupau comes back, Mateo drops to bench, AFB to NSW Cup - and that's a full team.

Yes you are on the money. Nate Myles 40 m run V Sharks .AFB will provide more impact then that ...

We were rubbish in the first half and pretty good for the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half. We then resumed normal transmission for the final 20. So yes, that 20 minutes was a big improvement.

We were rubbish in the first half and pretty good for the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half. We then resumed normal transmission for the final 20. So yes, that 20 minutes was a big improvement.

I thought everyting was more energetic or at least high paced mate. We went there ro try and win at least. Against The Broncos, I felt we went in with a defeated attitude.

Matai, Taupau, Taufua, Symonds and Mateo will make a huge difference too mate, and I'm quite excited to see the result.

I noticed the kick offs as well. Tommy was kicking them higher but they just weren't traveling as far. It's the nfl punter theory get them high and have chasers right on top of the catcher when they catch the ball. Couple others in the comp are real good at it, feldt and Richards (last year).

That loss was very easy to take compared to some we've had this year. I think we turned a corner last night. I'm really excited to get on with the rest of the year. We'll get more wins than losses from here on in.

It was a frustrating performance but showed what we are capable of.
In particular we looked to have some attacking threat both right (Walker) and left (Tom T) and that meant DCE and Lyon could also pose some problems. I couldn't believe the metres Tom made coming off our own line with hit-ups, all while supposedly with a crook ankle.
We lost yet again but definitely some signs of life there.

All very valid points. It was a loss but as was said earlier it's a loss that almost felt like a win to me.

Unfortunately it's a case of starting all over again with killers switch. Combo's will start to develop now and I'm hoping that if killer turns up for 5/8 due will get back to the player we all know the guy is.

Look at Thurston. Always been a very very good player but the cows only clicked and went to that next level when he had a player just as capable in Morgan Doing his stuff as well.

On another note a really old thread popped up yesterday questioning the value of Johns as halves coach from a few years back. Hate to say it and sure there are other influences at play but I wish he was still about. DCE could do with the blokes ear right now.

Maybe had something to do with the 5 straight penalties to Manly

Maybe had something to do with the 5 straight penalties to Manly
Considering Cronulla led the penalties 5-1 after 20 minutes it's good to get ....something.
Truth is, the most vital call of the night that could have gone either way went surprisingly to Cronulla????
That's footy - that's Manly - now time to build on a good platform from last night....

01. Brett Stewart
02. Jorge Taufua
03. Steve Matai
04. Dylan Walker
05. Tom Trbojevic
06. Jamie Lyon (c)
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Jake Trbojevic
09. Matt Parcell
10. Brenton Lawrence
11. Feleti Mateo
12. Tom Symonds
13. Jamie Buhrer

14. Lewis Brown
15. Nate Myles
16. Siosaia Vave
17. Addin Fanua-Blake

18. Darcy Lussick

Like most of what you say. But the minute you mention matteo I can't take you as serious sorry.

We might have been talking about a win today if Taupau wasn't suspended. We will never know.

Possible. I said earlier that I felt the way TB handled the 5/8 problem would define him as a coach. He gave it time then bit the bullet, he gets a pass mark from me.

His next big test as a coach for mine is to get the best out of Kapow. Yes , he has transitioned to an 80min player, but I don't think we are getting the best from him. I am not sharp enough to pin point the problem. Is he defending too wide? Does he need a more creative player inside than walker? Should he go to prop and be rotated?

As much as we lost as we all hate when Manly loses a game, last night was actually easier to take simply because there were actually some positive signs for us.

Killer to 5/8 and Walker to centre is what most have been calling for pretty much since the pre-season. Walker as a pivot hasn't worked but last night at centre he looked very dangerous with the ball knowing that all he had to do was run with it. And while Killer's goal kicking was off last night and his defence has become a shadow of its former self, he had his best game for the year last night in attack. As most of us predicted, his experience was put to better use at pivot and combined with Snake returning it made life a lot easier for DCE who also had a good game (the only thing letting him down right now is his kicking game).

And then there was Tommy who was a revelation at centre last night. If only he wasn't being hobbled by his ankle.....

When you add players like Jorge and Skivy to the mix, our backline is suddenly looking better.

Provided everyone is fit, my team for the game against Canberra in 2 weeks would be:

Stewart, Taufua, Walker, Matai, T. Trbojevic, Lyon, Cherry-Evans, Lawrence, Parcell, Myles, Brown, Buhrer, J. Trbojevic. Res - Vave, Starling, Fonua-Blake, Symonds/Mateo.

I'd bring back AFB and let Lussick go and give silly penalties away in NSW Cup.

His next big test as a coach for mine is to get the best out of Kapow. Yes , he has transitioned to an 80min player, but I don't think we are getting the best from him. I am not sharp enough to pin point the problem. Is he defending too wide? Does he need a more creative player inside than walker? Should he go to prop and be rotated?
In the second half we seemed to be making quite a few half breaks on both sides. Maybe the danger posed by Walker and Tom T on each side gave our halves that extra second of space. With a little extra space I'd expect Taupau to prosper too when he returns.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7