Big Bash v NRL ( entertainment value),

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I've got two of my grandkids staying for two weeks so decided to take them to the BBL last night.

Brisbane Heat v Adelaide Strikers ( so first v last ).

Forgetting the result which was a forgone conclusion gee the BBL do it well in terms of entertainment.

Obviously they have stoppages and so need to fill in the time but from the moment you arrive (outside the ground) to the final ball it's just non stop fun.

Dancing, music , rocket man ( at half time), air guitar comps, prize giveaways , hot cheerleaders, kiss cam, the wave and lots more.

Now before you jump on my back I know it's a different game , and a different demographic BUT the NRL should really be looking at the product they produce as the BBL are currently streets ahead.

For a cricket purest like me (give me a test match any day) it's all a bit of fluff but it is fun, and the 5 & 6 year old had a ball!

Even those of you that hate the game have to agree they are doing it well, last nights crowd of 34,000 almost beat the 4 days of the Gabba Test!!

Mate bbl all the way I love my stars and glenn maxwell!!!!!! Bbl is a much better value entertainment you don't have to wait 15 minutes for decision, is all ways an even playing field while in the nrl if you got to watch 1st vs last you'll get a flogging!!! In bbl every team actually has the same cap and anyone can win any gameany game

Cricket is the most boring, ridiculous, piss poor excuse for a sport ever invented.
NRL wins in a landslide.

I thought so too, that is until i got sucked into the Hayne Plane thing and watched some NFL, I really wasted a few days of my life, and at my age that is something I cannot afford to do, come to mention it Baseball isn't much better.

The NRL really need to start looking at the football being an allround experience where the kids can get excited about different things, and just making it something where it really is an event.

I'm not a huge fan of the big bash but my brother goes with his kids a lot (and he's a roosters fan) and he always says how you just can't compare the two in terms of crowd entertainment and engagement.

I must be old school but I think the game itself is the entertainment.
Really gave me the ****s in origin and the finals this year when we needed a DJ to play music during 30 second breaks in play.

I see the need for flashing lights, music and people dancing everywhere as catering for gen Y's 5 minute attention span.

I must be old school but I think the game itself is the entertainment.
Really gave me the ****s in origin and the finals this year when we needed a DJ to play music during 30 second breaks in play.

I see the need for flashing lights, music and people dancing everywhere as catering for gen Y's 5 minute attention span.

But that's the thing isn't it , think about how many people are going , over 80k in Melbourne last week to one game, and even 34k last night to the team running dead set last with only 1 win for the tournament.

Very, very smart marketing

But that's the thing isn't it , think about how many people are going , over 80k in Melbourne last week to one game, and even 34k last night to the team running dead set last with only 1 win for the tournament.

Very, very smart marketing
Yes definitely smart marketing. And I understand why they put on a show and it's working great for them.
They've managed to somehow get fanatical fans following brand new sporting teams.
The NRL only knows how to do the opposite.

I just don't like the carnival feel at sporting events. Makes it feel fake and again, like it's designed to cater to the new generation having to be entertained 24/7.
I belong in the past with no facebook and my Commodore 64.

Can't stand T-20.

Great hard tests with a nice balance between bat and ball, patience, resilience,craft and tactics anyday over T-20 or One Dayers but not many genuine hardened test nations these days so to me cricket is almost dead.

Too much central control of cricket in India now and power corrupts, mind you England and Australia was the power base in the past so we can't complain.

Can't stand T-20.

Great hard tests with a nice balance between bat and ball, patience, resilience,craft and tactics anyday over T-20 or One Dayers but not many genuine hardened test nations these days so to me cricket is almost dead.

Too much central control of cricket in India now and power corrupts, mind you England and Australia was the power base in the past so we can't complain.

I understand your issue BUT the simple fact is the BBL are killing it in attendances and TV ratings.

It's a bit like the Nines, I hate them but they are popular with some.

To suit generation next the NRL need to do more , much more !!

I understand your issue BUT the simple fact is the BBL are killing it in attendances and TV ratings.

It's a bit like the Nines, I hate them but they are popular with some.

To suit generation next the NRL need to do more , much more !!
No problem with it's popularity but let's not get too carried away with a short term boom to the detriment of traditional tests which is the platform that made everything else possible.

Hey if people want T-20 alone so be it, that is the way it is heading.

Competitive test games also get big crowds, we just need to get the right balance as too much of a good thing will kill itself eventually as it becomes the norm and not the exception.

Just remember 50 over cricket was once the rage and it eventually killed itself, what next 15 over 10 over versions just to suit the short attention spans of the next generation.

Last edited:
What bbl is doing is competing with A league soccer. Both summer comps and both national. Look at the type of fan that goes to a bbl game, then look at the empty stadiums that gallop has had to face recently. Soccer is growing but cricket is not going to die wondering ( I'm sure I just missed a pun in there).

No problem with it's popularity but let's not get too carried away with a short term boom to the detriment of traditional tests which is the platform that made everything else possible.

Hey if people want T-20 alone so be it, that is the way it is heading.

Competitive test games also get big crowds, we just need to get the right balance as too much of a good thing will kill itself eventually as it becomes the norm and not the exception.

Just remember 50 over cricket was once the rage and it eventually killed itself, what next 15 over 10 over versions just to suit the short attention spans of the next generation.

My point isn't so much as how good is the cricket, it's not, it's just bash and barge , but how good the whole package is in an entertainment sense.

Cricket is the most boring, ridiculous, piss poor excuse for a sport ever invented.
NRL wins in a landslide.

The Big Bash is the most boring cricket around. One match is the same as the another. My wife doesn't mind the test cricket but thinks the Big Bash is nothing more than hit and giggle. It is awful and only exists to appeal to those with ADHD amongst us...

I've got two of my grandkids staying for two weeks so decided to take them to the BBL last night.

Brisbane Heat v Adelaide Strikers ( so first v last ).

Forgetting the result which was a forgone conclusion gee the BBL do it well in terms of entertainment.

Obviously they have stoppages and so need to fill in the time but from the moment you arrive (outside the ground) to the final ball it's just non stop fun.

Dancing, music , rocket man ( at half time), air guitar comps, prize giveaways , hot cheerleaders, kiss cam, the wave and lots more.

Now before you jump on my back I know it's a different game , and a different demographic BUT the NRL should really be looking at the product they produce as the BBL are currently streets ahead.

For a cricket purest like me (give me a test match any day) it's all a bit of fluff but it is fun, and the 5 & 6 year old had a ball!

Even those of you that hate the game have to agree they are doing it well, last nights crowd of 34,000 almost beat the 4 days of the Gabba Test!!

The Big Bash makes ordinary cricketers like Glenn Maxwell and Chris White et al relevant...

The Big Bash makes ordinary cricketers like Glenn Maxwell and Chris White et al relevant...
Glenn maxwell ordinary??!! He is ranked 9th in overall odi batsman rankings. 9th in the world! He was our best batsman at the World Cup and bowled well also, bbl is not for ordinary players!! Mitchell marsh is in the aussie team he is ordinary could even manage a score in the match he played he scored a duck!!?? Glenn maxwell has 2 half centuries in the tournament so far, how is he ordinary? What a stupid comment make sure you check where players are ranked and there stats before you make silly comments like that!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7