Big call from Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Just found this extract from an article, will no doubt make us very, very unpopular at NRL headquarters

"THE NRL is furious at Manly and the New Zealand Warriors for refusing to support the NRL All-Stars match against the Indigenous Dream Team on the Gold Coast in February. The match is being played as part of a spectacular opening to the season and is already almost a sell-out at Skilled Park. Last week, Manly coach Des Hasler and Warriors coach Ivan Cleary decided their players would not be made available. "It's terribly disappointing," an NRL official told us. "Part of the profits are going to various charities and another $1.6 million was going to the clubs - $100,000 each. That's money Manly and the Warriors will now be missing out on."

I am very happy with the line we have taken on this personally, imo the match has turned into a circus, and although we may miss out on $100,000, better that than lose a player like Watmough in a nothing match

Totally agree.  The NRL did bugger all to support our club this year, why should we turn around and risk out investments to further the circus they've created to further the ambitions of Michael Searle?

Des hHsler is making sense here.  Just a nothing game for bruises and breaks to occur.  Maybe he now sees the folly of chasing WCC honours, when really it's all about the premiership.  Anyway how come Preston Campbell gets into the team without having to front the voters?  It's really all about paying off Skilled Stadium. 

I agree good call!

I wonder how much is really going to the charity if 1.6 mill is going to the clubs already?

I have no problems with this decision, We all know that the game will just be a glorified game of touch footy and no sting in the defence. Can only risk a season affecting injury by letting our guys play.

If they want to give a Koori side a run, then they should pick one to tour PNG at the end of the season when the Tri Nations is on.

It might make the Tri-Series interesting if Australia get split into a white fella, black fella side.  Not that the Australia A experiment in the 1994/5 World Series was much chop.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
\"Part of the profits are going to various charities and another $1.6 million was going to the clubs - $100,000 each. That's money Manly and the Warriors will now be missing out on.\"

How much money do they think is novelty will make!! Charities AND $100k to each club? If I remember rightly, when you win the minor premiership you only get $100k for that.

blitzkrieg link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=182160.msg247359#msg247359 date=1260672211]

\"Part of the profits are going to various charities and another $1.6 million was going to the clubs - $100,000 each. That's money Manly and the Warriors will now be missing out on.\"

How much money do they think is novelty will make!! Charities AND $100k to each club? If I remember rightly, when you win the minor premiership you only get $100k for that.
[/quote]
It's a nice round figure. It's also how much you get fined for a boozy season launch.

We should have nominated Neumann & JWH as our contribution to the match.

Searle came out this year saying he wanted to channel $2M to indigenous charities and local communities from this game. Skilled holds 27,000 and with a take-out of $1.6M for the clubs then someone has a very good calculator in making this the money-spinner they claim.

ManlyBacker link said:
Searle came out this year saying he wanted to channel $2M to indigenous charities and local communities from this game. Skilled holds 27,000 and with a take-out of $1.6M for the clubs then someone has a very good calculator in making this the money-spinner they claim.
You are right,MB        $3.6M / 27000 = $133.333333333333 per ticket!

blitzkrieg link said:
[quote author=ManlyBacker link=topic=182160.msg247462#msg247462 date=1260826743]
You are right,MB        $3.6M / 27000 = $133.333333333333 per ticket!
[/quote] On the upside there might be television and sponsorship rights.  On the downside, what about ground hire and similar costs.

Volley link said:
Bit of pressure applied and they've folded. Weak.
Seems that way, but let's wait and see who is "fit to play". Rose will play due to his wide appeal, but I'm hoping just fringe players for the Whiteys.

I was going to say before this 'turnabout' - i thought that Rose was really keen to play for the Indigenous side.  Maybe he pressured Des and the club, you can't say no to big George!

For the record here are the players who you can vote for. Some forwards there but not a lot in the backs

Ballin, Matt
Galuvao, Joe
King, Jason
Lussick, Darcy
Mauro, Vic
Perry, Josh
Rodney, Shane
Seu Seu, Terrence
Stewart, Glenn
Watmough, Anthony
Bailey, Chris
Foran, Kieran
Hodkinson, Trent
Hopoate, William
Robertson, Michael
Whare, Dean

eggson link said:
I was going to say before this 'turnabout' - i thought that Rose was really keen to play for the Indigenous side.  Maybe he pressured Des and the club, you can't say no to big George!
As long as he doesn't break his leg again :mad: :'(

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6