Big on guts, small on execution

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I 100% applaud and commend the players for showing the guts to come from behind to grind out a victory over a top 2 team. Well done fellas. What was very disappointing to me was the 20 or so minutes between the 45th and 65th minutes, where we had a number of sets on the Dogs line, and weren't able to come up with a sufficient set move to get over the line. It was chaotic - players just throwing it everywhere, no decoy player movements/runs, grubbers which didn't make the in-goal, no cut-out passes, bombs that were too flat - I can't believe we weren't coherent enough to come up with one play that would have got us into a position to score. Worst was the last tackle kicking options - really poor. There was one Ox last-tackle grubber right near the end which was a shocker too. I really hope Ox/Lyon/Hasler work on some plays/set moves over the last couple of months - we eventually got over the top last night, but we won't be so lucky in the Finals if we can't execute again.

There were a number of factors that contributed to that

1 - a 15 day break
2 - The Dogs scramble defense was just awesome, their normal defense was pretty good too, they were rushing up and shaving time from every play
3 - The forwards were so busy going forward and creating room, and doing so much in defense, when it came to attack they were a bit slow to run decoys

You just cant take anything away from the dogs commitment in defense, they kept turning up and kept trying and it really made it difficult for Manly to do much at all.

Dan

Yep Dan, you're right, am probably not giving enough praise to the Dogs' defence, which, as you say, was extremely good. Reminded me a bit of our defence in the mid-90's.

One thing that cost us points as well was our passing and handling. We need to get that under control, but that is likely some rust from the big break we had.

My god Ennis is a pest. I can not wait to see him play origin, he was just in everything, he got away with a few strips as well cheeky bugger and almost started a few fights

Crusher, I would like to know just how many tries we get from inside the ten metre mark, as opposed to running them in from, say, the thirty metre line.  I've long been critical of our last tackle options inside the ten.  We seem disorganized, even without the 15 day break.  I think that's the frustrating thing I find about Orford's play, that and his little dropouts.  Someone must be reading my posts because I notice Lyon taking our penalty line kicks. 

DSM5 link said:
Crusher, I would like to know just how many tries we get from inside the ten metre mark, as opposed to running them in from, say, the thirty metre line.  I've long been critical of our last tackle options inside the ten.  We seem disorganized, even without the 15 day break.  I think that's the frustrating thing I find about Orford's play, that and his little dropouts.  Someone must be reading my posts because I notice Lyon taking our penalty line kicks.   

One of Orfords drop outs made the 50m mark. I was that shocked I knocked me beer over. But his kicking game is still poor. What was the attempte chip, I seen kids execute better.

Last tackle options were atrocious. I'm looking forward to seeing Foran play this weekend to see if it improves.

Ennis gets all the press for being an annoying prick (and deserves it) but I'll tell ya what, Gimmemorely is not far behind him. He puts sly crap in every tackle with his arms and legs trying to slow it down and dislodge the ball. I loved it when Orford gave him the big palm off late in the first half.

Frenetic is the word I think of when watching our attack on the line. There are a few excuses but we really need to sort it out and show some composure. This team has never been great at it but this year seems worse maybe because the "go to" guy isn't there.
The passing from dummy half (mainly LeSnak but Ballin as well) was really poor last night which didn't help.

The dogs use a few slow down tactics. One of them is after they tackle, one of them will roll out the back of the tackle and get in the way of the dummy half, but do it fairly legally, a lot of the time it is borderline but they did all night last night. They will start getting pinged for it soon

<G> The Orford critics have just got it in for the little bloke, if he hasn’t as yet he will have little man’s syndrome by now.

The first 30mins was an awesome performance minimal mistakes and penalties by both side. Next 30 mins was average though Scum Chumps capitalised on some of our mistakes. Last 10mins, Manly out played the chumps.

True that Orfords last tackle options aren't always great but give the guy some credit, he really works the ball hard especially the lead up to our first try, I was right in front of it.

Don't hastily forget the excellent kick he did put into the chmups goal line and Patton I think it was got trapped in goal for a goal line drop out. Should I also mention some of Orfords breaks from the scrum base that he made.

It's so easy to be critical of the mistakes but we seldom praise for the great stuff he does.

It was a aspiring win by the whole team and I sure walked out of the stadium with 14,000 other Manly fans that were equally as pleased and grinning from ear to ear.

Thanks Cliffy, I stand corrected with the kick in goal but I still think some are being to critical of Orford.

Nothing should be taken away from last nights win.

What about the referees. They started out trying to make it a game of touch footy with lightening quick play the balls (which I find more frustrating than anything) then after a few penalties they decided to make it into a game of wrestling with both sides but mainly the bulldogs allowed to lay all over the tackle for an age

The scum were dirty in different parts of the game last night.

I thought our boys held their own against them and they didn't like it and as a result they started getting dirty which the dogs are known for when they can't get their own way on the field.

Ryno link said:
[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=180985.msg231288#msg231288 date=1246925865]

One of Orfords drop outs made the 50m mark.
[/quote]

Nah 49 @ best

Dan link said:
What about the referees. They started out trying to make it a game of touch footy with lightening quick play the balls (which I find more frustrating than anything) then after a few penalties they decided to make it into a game of wrestling with both sides but mainly the bulldogs allowed to lay all over the tackle for an age

I picked up on this too, Dan.

The tackler would roll off, and stand right there where the dummy-half needs to be, so they are not getting penalised for laying in the play the ball, put are putting the dummy-half off just enough to slow the play the ball down.

Was it gifty who was roughing up the head of $$$$ chaser Kimmorely after he made the tackle on him, he should have just given him an upper cut for being an ankle.

OneEyedEagle link said:
Was it gifty who was roughing up the head of $$$$ chaser Kimmorely after he made the tackle on him, he should have just given him an upper cut for being an ankle.

Yeah it was, and choc had a go too.

Noddy was laying on him for about 10 minutes. I almost thought they were rooting it was going on that long

Refereeing in the second half was diabolical. The Dogs were using Manly players as matresses with total impunity. It made the penalties in the first half against us look a real joke.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6