• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Just finished watching the game, The referee's made it quite tight at the end, the grapple was a joke and Robbo didn't drop it

Firstly, we are into the top 8. But the most important part of today, will be the confidence that win will send through the comp. Understrength, those guys will lift massively, and with the 5 internationals coming in next week the confidence in the group will be sky high heading into the bye.

The win was built on 2 blokes I thought, and they must be the first mentioned.

King and Perry

2 blokes who have copped a bit this season on here. I have personally thought King has been good for the past 2 months, but today was inspirational. These 2 got on top of the Canberra team from play 1 and dominated the 1st half, the metres they made were outstanding. Was stoked to see King named MOTM by Channel 9. 2 of their plays were standouts for me, and showed the way to the rest. Canberra chip over the top, King reads it, drops back, dives and cleans up the play in the wet, and later on Canberra on attack, loose ball on the ground, and Perry beats 2 of them to dive on it. Outstanding from the pair of them

Foran, WOW

Have heard about his attack, and I like his play in that area, but the defence he puts on TLL and Tilse was the standout for me. Most prominsing debut from a Manly player I have seen

Overall the whole team were top notch for the majority. Orford lead us around the park well and the kicking game was very, very good. I always think he is at his best taking the line on and his running game was great today as well. Want to mention the wingers as well, tough day for 2 inexperienced blokes, but they both got through it, and made some crucial plays during the game. Very happy with them today. Bailey, Rodney, Ballin and co played their usual solid games, and Farrar was good as well, so good tackling. JWH showed some potential, and Cuthbo showed that as well as some of the problem areas of his game

Can only go onwards and upwards from here imo, the rest of the comp must be getting nervous. If we look at the bye next week, we have taken 12 of the possible 14 points available over the last period, and the 2 we lost were stolen. We are still building to our peak and look to be timing a run reasonably well

Yep it was a gutsy win. Take 5 SOO players out of any team and they will lose on most occasions.
Foran had a very good debut and didn't really put a foot wrong in very slippery conditions. I like Bailey at Lock.

The refs calls in the last quarter were a joke. Robbo didnt drop the ball, and that grapple was soft.

Orford had a great game. T-rex had a great start with a try and a good attempt to almost set up another.

Cuthbo was shocking, should fit right in at the sharks and yet again I was impressed by JWH, wish he was staying with us. Still Foran looked great, and everyone else looked solid. With 5 players returning after the bye we will be very very hard to beat.

Cuthbo was the reason Canberra got back into the game, he was disgraceful and should have been hooked early.
Suniula was lazy in IMO, showed little enthusiasm.
Foran was great! I hope he gets more first grade under his belt this season.
Worst effort was cuthbo - can't wait to see the back of him and should not play in the top grade again this year. HOLD THE ****INGG BALL!

Pity T-Rex runs slower than my grandmother...... If he could speed up even slightly he'd improve amazingly.

Yeah, I don't think Cuthbo will be getting any more games this year with JWH and Rose both overtaking him in the pecking order. Our forwards were very good today, King, Perry and Rose in particular, which was needed seeing as our backline was very inexperienced and Matai was playing injured. Both our halves did very well in directing the team around and today showed we have awesome depth in all positions.

among many other things Foran was great,cuthbo was shocking (wont be sorry to see him go) and im gutted we are losing JWH heplayed awesome today.

Fulton link said:

I feel that is a bit harsh personally, he did plenty of work from dummy half, including a couple on the other side of the park

Agreed with most comments except that Orford was terrible in the second half.  His high kicks to their wings was just stupid.  Why continue with a strategy that clearly doesn't work.  His first half was great spoilt, by a weak second.  Cuthbo, what can I say, terrible terrible.  Just go now and don't bother closing the door.  Penalties and dropped ball, shocking.  JWH did OK.  Scored an opportunist try, and made a few big shoulder charges, BUT... a bit suspect in regular defense.  grabs a bit.  Sunilia, a Bani like display.  Looks strong but just that metre out of position and offered litle.  Rose, fantastic.  T-Rex, he should just look at Matai. who played great, and take it from there.  He's soooo slooow.  And can't turn and chase.  Forwards bound.  Best game from our regular forwards since last year.   Foran, just terrific.  High energy and deserved his try.  A face of the future. 

I think its pretty harsh to say Orford was terrible second half. I thought he was great first half and solid second half.

Orford was not terrible in the second half, he just had limited ball behind a forward pack that was not doing a great deal at that point.  His kicks worked well in the first half and we got repeat sets, tried the same again but they were just a little too deep.  If he did not play we would not have won.  

I agree Garts - I thought he led the team well in the absence of some of our top plus experienced players.

Sure Garts, without a half, any team would lose.  His second half was just not good.  Take a closer look.  His kicks were poor.  Kicks that were a 'little too deep' are as useful as a nun's tit.  His kicks in the first half were excellent and it bothers me that one half good, the second half poor.

Half another look and see who is leading the kick chase defence in the 2nd half DSM, and who is always in position to do the clean up work, for example when Milne chipped over Robbo, and Orford was there to dive on the loose ball and kill that Raiders opportunity

You never get a half that executes all their kicks 100%.  Yet Foran you claim to have played great.  I agree he was good and it was a very promising debut but he was nowhere near as good as Orford was today.  Yet you probably think he was better.  

Kiwi Eagle link said:
[quote author=Fulton link=topic=180814.msg228627#msg228627 date=1245571717]

I feel that is a bit harsh personally, he did plenty of work from dummy half, including a couple on the other side of the park
[/quote]
i think suniula filled in ok,and he did make a good try saving hit at the end of the game.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Half another look and see who is leading the kick chase defence in the 2nd half DSM, and who is always in position to do the clean up work, for example when Milne chipped over Robbo, and Orford was there to dive on the loose ball and kill that Raiders opportunity

Orford could set up 5 tries, score 3 himself, save 5 tries with brilliant defence and kick one ball out on the full.  What would DSM raise on here?  

Garts, I gave him due praise for his efforts in the first half.  I guess I thought his efforts in the second should mirror his excellent first half.  Am I wanting to much?  or should I just put up with a player who delivers a half game? 

Well you actually did not give him praise, your first comment was that he played terrible in the 2nd half.  No mention of his 1st half performance.  Hence why I say you always focus on the negatives with him.  Even though there was plenty to be postive about in the 2nd half with his game as pointed out by Kiwi.

Garts, the trouble with most posters is they don't follow the thread.  I said that Orford's first half was great, spoilt by an ordinary second.  Take a look mate.  Kiwi and i have a running battle about most things so don't quote him to me.  By the way Kiwi, Stevie boy was fantastic, best of our backs.   

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2