Biggest problem in RL = fans

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Lets face it the NRL is riddled with inconsistencies, mistakes, poor judgement etc etc . But in reality we only have ourselves to blame. Each week, a number of sides get the rough end of the pineapple. Even teams that play Manly get bad calls or so im lead to believe. Built in to the rugby league fabric is that winners are grinners and losers cry like sheilas. Its the way it is , its the way its always been. This has allowed the league to hide behind poor performance for decades with technology highlighting this more and more each year.there will always be those that complain, the losers. Thats how it is

But what if for once winners decided not to grin, and didnt accept he howler as payback for no getting penalties for inside the 10 even though we spent the whole game offside as well. What if for a short time, al supporters of all clubs, the winners the losers, the smug and the sooks all go on the same page.what if all fans decided they wanted a better league, what if winning coaches agreed they got the rub of the green and sympathised. What if fans stopped buying tickets when they found out cecchin was appointed. What if crowds stopped gloating and felt sorry for the teams that had been shafted.

All we ever what is consistency we say but gladly accept a howler and spruik from our perches when we get it. Doesnt sound consistent to me. Look i know this wont change anything, i know how people are but we all set our own standards in life. If we are happy to accept swings and roundabouts why shouldnt we accept inconsistency. Its an australian problem, we always fail to stand up collectively for anything and are happy to just whinge about what we get

Its cool to be one eyed , just not blind

I'd like to think I'm not one eyed.

I actually thought we got a pretty good go on the weekend. If anything we got the rub of the green. I don't know what the final penalty count was, but I'd be surprised if, after conceding the first 4, we didn't end up winning it comfortably.

Plenty on here bemoan the existence of "Manly loading" when players get cited. I think it is more due to the across the board inconsistency rather than a vendetta against any particular club.

As fans, I think we just want the howlers eliminated. Passes that go 3m forward. Obstruction calls that leave you shaking your head (Can you imagine if the try taken from Sandow was taken from Sid instead ?..... This place would have gone into meltdown....that was a dud call)

Unfortunately, when a player makes a mistake, he suffers the effects along with his team. Refs make errors and it doesn't affect them at all...it affects others.

Anyway, some valid points jbb. But, having a moan is part of the appeal of being passionately involved. And how much fun is it watching others blow up ?

We won the penalties 10 to nine. Enduring 19 penalties in a match is wrong. There were bad calls against both sides. The refs should let the game flow more; so many insignificant penalties now days. Having two refs has worsened the situation.
Why are SOO and finals matches refereed differently to regular matches? It can be done. There is so much downtime in RL these days that it is losing its interest for even the most hardened fan.

One thing I can't stand is 1 eyed fans. We are all a bit biased and that's great. No problem. I have a dragons fan who really believes his team have NEVER lost a game. Every game he will go through 40 different things to say where they got shafted. Firstly that's no fun and second it's just rubbish.

I'll always sit back at the end of a game and say 'well we didn't deserve to win', if that's the case.

Referees:

Are untouchable.

Coaches cannot criticise them.

Administration:

Are at best "chook raffle" types that have no business acumen but are mostly there because of a passion for their respective clubs or a past ability when they pulled on a boot.

They are basically 'lazy' and do not want to embrace technology to make the game fairer. (Let's face it it'll never be perfect but it could be a lot fairer.)

Clubs:

Are so self-centred that they'll accept bad decisions to the detriment of the other clubs. All to win a premiership that for many is beyond their talent and scope.

Coaches:

Will do anything to gain an edge and lets face it, sometime illegal (for example wrestling type moves) are not excluded.

Fans:

Next to fans s*h*i*t shines.

We have no say in this sport and we are being constantly told that the NRL has everything under control which often proves to be incorrect to say the least.

Due to the above I now only watch Manly games and no other teams unless Manly is playing them. I may watch highlights but they are never that they are bore-lights rather than highlights.

I like this forum at least we have a voice with regard to the NRL we are nothing milch cows.

The Game:

Has moved on with rule changes and codes of conduct. The players are professional, the coaches are professional but the league is run and officiated those that could easily be seen as non-professional.

Is it just my age or am I becoming cynical? I hope is the prior not the latter.

But I have noticed over the years that the general level or thread of those posting is becoming more of - resignation to a system that could be seen as corrupt and biased and we the fans are becoming more use to it. :(

Here's a question for you,

What we discussing on here 12 months ago, or 2 years ago, or let's go back 3 years.

Referee's

We talk about Scam Bargearse and co being " protected species" but the real protected species here are the refs .

Now would I want their job, no, but they seem to ( mostly) do no wrong....you NEVER here the refs boss come out and say " well sorry we fire trucked up".

I hear now we are going to the bunker system, well maybe that's a good thing, AS LONG as they address the issues we all as fans want to see,

Forward passes
Stupid Obstruction rules
The Ruck ( a lot to deal with there)
The shoulder charge ( what a joke this has become)

And ever since the #riseforalex deal it seems every time there's even a slight possibility of a dangerous tackle it's " on report", bloody hell we survived over 100 years before this happened, and whilst I agree that really dangerous tackles should be banned it is after all a contact sport and the way they are going they risk it becoming touch football.

Rant over.......for a while!!

Imagine there's no pink clowns, its easy if you try, no need for penalties or send offs, above us only sky, imagine all the NRL team, living life in peace....

I agree 100% that winners shouldn't always be grinners.
I'd be snarling and complaining about everything every game so that people can't accuse me of whining just because I lost.

But then again, these are competitive people. They're in it to win, not to attain a zen like state of fairness. So I guess they don't care about looking like a hypocrite, they just want to accumulate more wins. As fans, we demand that of them.

The Who said:
We won the penalties 10 to nine. Enduring 19 penalties in a match is wrong. There were bad calls against both sides. The refs should let the game flow more; so many insignificant penalties now days. Having two refs has worsened the situation.
Why are SOO and finals matches refereed differently to regular matches? It can be done. There is so much downtime in RL these days that it is losing its interest for even the most hardened fan.

That really shocks me TW. I was on the hill and it seemed like we got a real run. I guess if you take the first 4 out, we got the remaining ones 2-1.

The Who said:

I've heard this argument so often and I agree a game should flow. But surely the crux of the matter is that the rules need a total overhaul. Otherwise, how does a ref decide which rules to ignore?

Scrum rules are no longer observed, play the ball is a lottery, off-side is a lottery, no-one completely understands the obstruction rule, niggling and wrestling have become a feature of the 'game' etc.

Players are constantly warned in running commentary by referees which already suggests they're trying to keep a game flowing but surely if there were less rules and a penalty simply blown when a transgression occurs, maybe the game would ultimately flow better.

To me, it's just a mess. And as a one-eyed supporter I can always see plenty that goes unpenalised with the opposition!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4