BING BACK THE FOOTBALLER

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

susan

Bencher
Surely it is obvious to all and sundry in the game that almost every game between competitive sides is being determined by possession flows ie. penalties and the huge strings of them we tend to see these day.

The answer is so simple IMO.Let the ruck become slower so the pinkies don't feel the need to blow their tonsils out;to offset that reduce the interchange by half to 6 changes from 12 and let natural fatigue do the job that this bull**** quick play the ball is supposed to do now. Less athletes and more footballers is the inevitable result.

The scathing runs by the speed men as defences wilt with normal fatigue is what our game is about, not ten 110kg lugs running off forward passes from the hookers followed by a high kick to another 110kg wannabe basketballer in the corner.

Finally change the rule so that a penalty does not have a kick for touch involved.

This is one of the reasons why i have always supported the wrestle in the tackle. Too often it is almost impossible if you tackle down low to get back into marker or even rewarded making a clean low tackle.

Another issue is the non policing of getting up to play the ball correctly and actually putting a foot on the ball. The refs in previous seasons tried to set an example with play the balls but did not have the guts to continue to pull it up it's a joke at the moment.

Which team does Bing Back play for ? :p

Technical Coach said:
Another issue is the non policing of getting up to play the ball correctly and actually putting a foot on the ball. The refs in previous seasons tried to set an example with play the balls but did not have the guts to continue to pull it up it's a joke at the moment.

This.

Biggest frustration in the modern game. The reason the rucks are so untidy and the reason tacklers try to wrestle is because the ref WILL NOT penalise the attacking team for infringements in the play the ball. 90% of rucks would have one of the following illegalities.

* Attacking player moving forward when getting up from being tackled to deliberately entangle themselves with the tacklers. The classic stick your head through their legs and stand up play. Suckers the ref every time.
* Attacking player walking forward off the mark as they play the ball to try and get markers "offside"
* Ditto above but moving off the mark sideways to get markers "not square"
* Putting the ball on the ground and stumbling over it as they get up as an attempted play the ball. This used to be illegal....what happened to that rule ??
* Kicking and thrashing around in the tackle, making it unsafe for the tackler to let them go in case they get kicked in the face. Leads to a penalty for hanging on too long
* Just sloppy play the balls in general, we probably saw 3 or 4 today that were just pathetic

If the refs made the tackled player get up to his feet and play the ball on the mark and properly, then we have that extra half a second that the wrestle is trying to earn. The refs need to start penalising the attacking side.

Dare I say it the yawnion system of short arm penalties could have a lot of merit.

Short arm penalty for minor infringements with a tap the only option.

Major infringements full arm penalty and kick for touch.

Spuds Bodyguard said:
Dare I say it the yawnion system of short arm penalties could have a lot of merit.

Short arm penalty for minor infringements with a tap the only option.

Major infringements full arm penalty and kick for touch.

Been advocating this for a couple of years. With refs being so pedantic penalties have too big an influence on results.
I thought the Worriers deserved their win, but the 12 penalties in the opening 20 minutes was ridiculous. Several of the early penalties we receive were unjustified, then the refs realised they needed to square things up and this gave the Worries the leg up they needed.

it all went sour when they changed from 5m to 10 m rule.And they have been pissing about with the balance ever since to compensate for the effect.Since then the ruck has been king, and every tactic has been employed to slow it down. Dummy half running is much more prevalent and the teams have been at war with the rules.

Its probably too late to go back now but it was the catalyst for turning footy into a ruck based game

Worst decision ever in the history of the sport regarding the rules

Totally agree Susan. I have been calling for a big reduction in the interchange numbers for a long time. If we ever expect to see the likes of Cliff Lyons et al weave their magic then fatigue HAS to play its part.

At its best this game had its cagey, smaller players change the course of a game usually after fatigue has set in. I miss it big time. The game has become a big athlete's game, not a footballer's game.

You don't get your Graham O'Grady's, Paul Langmack's, Jim Dymock's, Jason Smith's, anymore. Those ball playing back rowers used to be key positions.

Every solution potentially creates another problem. I like plenty of the ideas discussed but there is always a potential knock on effect because teams are being coached to cheat. No kicking for touch on penalties would just mean players would infringe more and take risks on things like stripping the ball, staying inside the 10m especially early in the tackle count. Could actually lead to even more penalties being blown.

Even the theory of slowing down the ruck makes sense, but then what you potentially have is a defensive line which is always set and always having the ability to move forward making yardage gains extremely difficult.

The real problem is we are searching for something which is impossible and that is perfect officiating. People say they can live with the odd mistake, but we get something go wrong against us and we scream everything from incompetency to refs out and out cheating.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4