Bird in doubt for kick-off

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Bird in doubt for kick-off

March 09, 2008http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23345102-23214,00.html

CRONULLA five-eighth Greg Bird rates himself only a 50-50 chance while Brisbane skipper Darren Lockyer and Parramatta workhorse Nathan Hindmarsh are certain starters in the NRL opening round.
                    Despite not playing in any of their team's pre-season trials, Test duo Lockyer (knee) and Hindmarsh (knee) were both given a clean bill of health and will take their place against Penrith and the Bulldogs respectively.

Lockyer, who hasn't played since undergoing a knee reconstruction in July last year, has been training strongly with the rest of the squad for the last four weeks.

Hindmarsh had a bit of cartilage removed from his knee during the pre-season, but Parramatta officials say his recovery is so far ahead of schedule that he could have played in the Eels' final trial against the Sydney Roosters last weekend.

Bird is nowhere near as certain of taking on traditional rivals Manly at Brookvale after tweaking his hamstring during a training session two weeks ago.

While it was initially believed he would miss at least the first two rounds of the season, the rugged utility said he hadn't given up hope on making it back to take on the Sea Eagles.

"I'm a chance, I'm probably only 50-50 at the moment," said Bird, who made his NSW and Test debuts in a dream 2007 season.

"I'll just keep going with the physio and hopefully that puts me in good stead to play.

"I haven't trained with the team (since the injury), I've done a little bit of running here and there but nothing to the sort of intensity that's going to help me make it onto the paddock.

"But I've still got another week or so, I'll just make sure I use every single day to get myself right to play."

Bird said he was desperate to play, with the Sharks facing a horror opening to the NRL season.

Their cause hasn't been helped by the fact renovations to Toyota Park mean they won't play there first home game until round six.

Over the opening five rounds they face away games against grand final combatants Manly and Melbourne before a trip to the Gold Coast and local derbies against St George Illawarra and South Sydney.

But Bird warned that he wouldn't put what looms as a long season at risk by coming back too early.

"I'm not going to play unless it's right to play, but I'm feeling confident that it should be right," he said.

"I'm really looking forward to getting the season started, I didn't get to play in a trial so I'm itching to get out there and play."

Elsewhere, Penrith Luke Priddis (shoulder) is expected to be on the team sheet when sides are announced early this week, while Brisbane trio Michael Ennis (quad), PJ Marsh (ankle) and Ben Hannant (sternum) will all be available for selection.

AAP

Matabele link said:
At least it reduces the chances of our players getting kneed in the head I suppose.

Imagine if something stupid you did was bought up everytime your name was mentioned.  ::)

Nutzcraw link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=177047.msg179076#msg179076 date=1205062534]
At least it reduces the chances of our players getting kneed in the head I suppose.

Imagine if something stupid you did was bought up everytime your name was mentioned.  ::)
[/quote]  Bird and thuggery are hardly strangers.  Somewhat like Nutzcraw and naive stupidity. 

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6