bit harder?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
During my 3 seasons playing for Manly-Warringah I averaged about one try every two matches.  I also kicked plenty of goals! 

Although I was a popular player of some ability, my Sea Eagles career was not aided when a couple of better players came onto the scene at Manly - and into the positions I wanted.

Bloody Manly, never seem to settle for second best!

Funny thing - my given name is a common name, yet seems to be pretty uncommon among Australian rugby league players.

Now that I think of it, there is also something unusual about my family name.

Who could I be?

Ben Walker is a fair guess, but I don't think he had 3 seasons with Manly. (Also Ben is a fairly common name for a league player!)

Shannon Nevin? Works re the name, but not enough tries. And who bumped him from the team?

No, it must be someone else.

Oh yeah, the position. Fullback and wing...

Post  automatically merged: [time]1296112981[/time]

... his hair was fair ...

Post  automatically merged: [time]1296151105[/time]

The Answer – sorry folks I'm posting the answer because I just realised I'll be off-line for at least the next week, annual holiday at Rottnest Island, and didn't want any of you to fret over the result!

Derek Moritz scored 24 tries in 53 games for Manly-Warringah, and kicked 68 goals.

He played as fullback and winger. Debuted in 1967 and I think most of his games were during 1969 and 1970. But by 1971 a teenage Graham Eadie had emerged as an obvious superstar-in-waiting, and the back-up to Bob Batty (pushing Batty into retirement early in 1972). Also in 1971 we signed a winger from Norths (some dude named 'Irvine' or something) so our ranks were looking pretty good at the back.

Which was bad luck for Derek!   A good player who scored a try for us in a winning reserve grade grand final, and later played for Norths (and captain-coached Grafton Ghosts to a premiership, I think).

The name 'Derek' does not seem to have been worn by too many Aussie players I can think of, though there have been a few British players named Derek.

And his last name includes the letter 'z', a bit unusual!

yeah i knew nevin didnt cross the stripe much.. but i just thought it was  an exaggeration from you regarding the try every 2 games fact lol.. you like  to throw me off so i wouldnt guess it 1st up;) lol like the stevens quiz lol,..

I've got a recollection of being told Derek Moritz worked in a service station at Curl Curl - I think near the current roundabout midway between Nth & Sth Curl Curl beaches.  Service station closed & demolished decades ago.

Rex link said:
I've got a recollection of being told Derek Moritz worked in a service station at Curl Curl - I think near the current roundabout midway between Nth & Sth Curl Curl beaches.  Service station closed & demolished decades ago.

lol, i remember that servo. I think they built some units there in place of it.

DailyTerrorgraphHater link said:
[quote author=Rex link=topic=186332.msg324679#msg324679 date=1300521565]

lol, i remember that servo. I think they built some units there in place of it.
[/quote]

yeah it's units now.
I grew up in Bennett Street, near freshie high and used to walk past there to get to the beach. my sister also lived next door for a while. It's now a townhouse complex

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6