Bittersweet Gutherson

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Pittwater Legend

We brought back Geoff Toovey!
Seeing Gutherson run out against us tonight was bittersweet. I'm probably his biggest fan on this forum and I suspected that tonight's match would reinforce what I've been feeling strongly all season - he should be on one wing for us with Tom on the other.

One big reason we lost tonight was that we kept trying to pressure him all night and he was up to the task. Not once did any of our guys get a little victory over him tonight. Most of the high kicks tonight went his way and he caught them all. Semi is suspect under the high ball - remember the final minute of their match against Penrith when he looked all at sea? But instead of sending kicks to Semi, we sent them all to Gutherson and I have no ****ing idea why. Jorge also had an opportunity to burn him one on one in the 2nd half when Takairangi was bludging 20 metres behind the play and left a mountain of space between Gutherson and the sideline. Jorge charged straight at him and Gutherson took him down instantly with a great one on one tackle. To add insult to our ****ing dumb game plan, Jorge went off with an injury late and Semi was able to finish us off after Gutherson absorbed the pressure all night.

Out of the 4 wingers that took to the field tonight, Gutherson has by far been the safest this entire season. He is a big part of why Parramatta have been so tight in defence this season. Without him, I don't think they keep the Tigers scoreless a few weeks back and like I've already said, not once tonight did we get a play over him.

Taufua? His fifth season on the wing and he still looks weak under the high ball. We should have kept Parra to 2 points at half time but Taufua fumbled it and left the spoils for either Takairangi or Gutherson to score. Being selfless, Gutherson let Takairangi take the ball as he was facing his own try line and Takairangi wasn't, even though they were both within reach of the ball. He's also a great sport and went over to Jorge when he was coming off the field due to injury. Good bloke, that kid. Just like his really great mates, the Trbojevic's.

We had two of the hottest young prospects (Clinton and Tom) in the game on our books and we're complaining about our aging centres. We kept the aging centres but let one of the prospects go after we had extended his contract to 2017 last year. WTF?

Gutherson is not coming back and that's sad. Absolute superstar in the lower grades. Made 18th man for the NSW Cup team of the year when he was 19 and Manly came 2nd last but was the unluckiest player in the words of the judges to not make the team of the year. He would have been their fullback. Want to know why he missed out? Well he was called up to first grade and cut the Tigers up before getting a foot injury that kept him out for the rest of the season. The guy who got their nomination only got the nod because he had a strong finish to the season when Gutherson was no longer around to stake his claim.

I reckon he would have been happy to stay if we just gave him the wing spot that was rightfully his.

He won the Triple M Award for MoM. I can't see how. Radrandra was much more dangerous and did a mountain of hit ups. I wish he played for us.

He won the Triple M Award for MoM. I can't see how. Radrandra was much more dangerous and did a mountain of hit ups. I wish he played for us.

Like I said, we tried to force a mistake from Clinton all night and it never came. We never really tested Semi even though he is suspect. Jorge then went off with injury and that was the only time Semi looked dangerous.

what ****in' game did you watch? He dropped the only contested bomb of the night....the rest went straight down his throat with no pressure whatsoever. The remainder of the evening involved some run of the mill dummy half running? Big whoop!

Clint did OK tonight but let's been honest he never had much Manly kick chase pressure on him when catching the ball. Taufua still needs work on his ball security, the one on one strip by Clint was embarrassing!

No denying you are a big fan. He was good under the high ball, but I didn't see much else from him. Having said that he probably got a points decision on Horhay tonight though

Look, I'm not saying that Gutherson was their MOM. He was crucial to their win but nowhere near the cause for it. He showed plenty to suggest that he was ready for first grade and that we should have kept him but we showed him the door.

I'm a guy that likes wingers that are safe as houses. Since our re-admission, Mick Robertson has by far been my favourite winger. He was amazingly safe and a great finisher. You generally can't win a competition without wingers who aren't safe. The refs aside, look what Topou did to Wolf in the 13 grand final.

At 21, he looks very comfortable in defence which is what you like to see in young players who are green.

I agree mate. Plenty of teams have tried to pepper his wing, but Guth looks safer than a bank under the high ball.
Still needs to build some muscle, but getting better every week.

Should have kept him instead of resigning Lyon.
When did Lyon resign? I thought I saw him out there tonight.

The fact that Manly kept kicking to him is a blight on our game plan, there was no pressure and Gutho would eat those up all day, but **** me kicking to Radradra isn't the solution, he can turn anything into something. At least kicking to Gutho he was swallowed up by the defence and we'd start the set with some energy in defence.
I still don't believe he would start over either Taufua or Turbo. Both could do what he's doing for parra, both made more metres with less runs and could stick to the defensive structures the eels have in place. That's my opinion anyway.

Gutho really needs to be penalised for voluntary tackles. The cat does about three a game. Just catch the ball and go down, snipered. That's a penalty.

I agree mate. Plenty of teams have tried to pepper his wing, but Guth looks safer than a bank under the high ball.
Still needs to build some muscle, but getting better every week.

Should have kept him instead of resigning Lyon.

With Tafua out gir a long tine with suspected broken collarbone, Gutherson would have been a lot better backup than Williame.
We r screwed

Wait until teams like storm. cowboys etc coming running down his wing. One game earlier he let in a lot. Too soft and not quick enough for me

Butterfingers? He didn't make an error tonight. What about your boy Tom spilling the ball after being tackled when he had been in the clear? He couldn't even outrun Semi.

He most definitely did make an error - first time we put a bomb up on his side he dropped it, in fact. Which may have been why they kept going back that way, to see if he had another one in him - if the chase had been as good as the first time around he might have too. Not saying he isn't a good prospect, but there's a big difference between catching a bomb under pressure and doing the same when there's a mile between you and the chasers. Under pressure, Gutho spilled it.

He most definitely did make an error - first time we put a bomb up on his side he dropped it, in fact. Which may have been why they kept going back that way, to see if he had another one in him - if the chase had been as good as the first time around he might have too. Not saying he isn't a good prospect, but there's a big difference between catching a bomb under pressure and doing the same when there's a mile between you and the chasers. Under pressure, Gutho spilled it.

Yeah, I will admit that I got that wrong. I watched the entire game from the Jane Try stand but didn't actually see him spill it. He looked super safe outside of that error. I don't even know what time of the game that it happened.

Last edited:

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6