Blair eyeing top try-scoring mantle in 2015

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
From MWSE - 15/01/15

Cheyse Blair has set his sights on becoming Manly’s top try-scorer in season 2015.

The towering outside back is eyeing a spot in the side’s season opener against Parramatta on March 6 as he looks to cement his place on Manly's fringes.

Cheyse+Blair+mMIi59sTNWWm.jpg
Blair arrived at Manly at the end of 2013 in an attempt to resurrect his NRL career after a rollercoaster two seasons at the Eels.

He made nine appearances in his first season on the Northern Beaches and managed to play finals footy for the first time in his young career.

But having now tasted success with the Sea Eagles, Blair has set himself new objectives for the new season.

“My goal is to start round one. I spoke to Mush (Dave Penna, Sea Eagles assistant coach) and he’s got a few goals there for me, so hopefully I can kick them off starting round one,” Blair said.

“Just starting round one obviously and also be up there in the top try scorers by round 10.”

“I knew that when I was coming here last year that I had to fight for a spot. Personally, I think I did well with that and got my start.

"I ended up playing finals for my first ever time in the NRL. It was an unbelievable experience and hopefully I get to start there this year."

With preparation now in full swing ahead of the Auckland Nines, Blair has put his hand up for the weekend-long tournament, which begins on January 31.

“I’ve heard a few of the boys talk about it, who’s playing who’s not, but personally I don’t know if I am yet,” Blair said.

“It was a good experience last year and I hope I get picked so I can go play again.”

http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/2015/01/15/blair_eyeing_top_try.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I like his optimism. What's the feeling here ? do you think he'll retain his spot over Horhay for Round 1. Can't see him displacing Hiku or either centre obviously unless there are injuries, so Horhay's spot is the only likely chance.

I personally hope Jorge bounces back, as much as Blair did a good job when called up. Hopefully an off season to get his shoulder right will give him back his confidence and see him back to his devastating best. His work under the high ball needs brushing up though.

The chaise-longue did very little wrong last year and plenty right. Jorge fully fit and in form would be ahead for that spot, but if Blair gets another chance he might just make it his own. He has improvement in him and he's already pretty good.

He did nothing wrong last year. He'd have to be right in the mix for a starting spot. I hope he goes on to be top try scorer in the NRL this year, not just for Manly.....he and whoever plays on the other wing can fight it out for the honour.

I think he's underrated, and I too love the attitude he shows. He's respectful and keen to get in there and make his mark. Whether he starts or not, injuries, origin, poor form will all play a part this year. So we need not just 7 backs, we need 10 or 11 that can cover. Personally I believe he had a good year last year and showed that he can be relied upon.

He has more skills than Jorge who, as I've long contended, is not a natural winger and would be better as an impact back rower. However, I'm sure Jorge will be practicing catching in the off-season and hope he masters it as this is arguably the most important skill a winger can have the way the game is played these days. I think Jorge will be given an opportunity to show if he has improved in this skill before Blair gets his chance.

He has more skills than Jorge who, as I've long contended, is not a natural winger and would be better as an impact back rower. However, I'm sure Jorge will be practicing catching in the off-season and hope he masters it as this is arguably the most important skill a winger can have the way the game is played these days. I think Jorge will be given an opportunity to show if he has improved in this skill before Blair gets his chance.
I recall Jorge in a real purple patch last year around mid season then he seemed to go backwards for the rest of the season. if he can pick up from where he left off I'm sure he will get better and better and be amongst our best.

When Jorge is in form, he is one of the most devastating wingers in the game, so he needs to be given first crack next season. Hiku's form in the 4 Nations was unbelievable and he is very safe under the high ball. Blair is solid, but the other two are classier options if all three are playing at their optimum level.

Hiku was really good for NZ. Hopefully he can bring that form back to next season.

I still think giving Jorge size and ballistic running style that he could do a t rex and play in the second row. Plus he is an 80 minute player who can focus on what he does best.

Blairs height and catching ability I think makes him a great winger.

Can he play centre? In case Steve...you know....

I like the footy look of Blair...said that last year. Competent with a bit of mongrel in him.

It's in the eyes boys and girls...all in the eyes...!

But I can't help thinking that Hiku only (well...not only but...) re-signed for us on the basis he got a real chance at a first grade spot. I like him and think he is a good player...and will probably turn into a better one. But as soon as he signed he was in and wolfie out (maybe wolfie contributed this a bit himself).

So it's hard to see 2v replacing hiku and a fit taufua (I mean he didn't really replace an unfit taufua until the finals....go figure). And so we have hikkup, horhay, wolfie, and chases going for winger spots...... and it's only on certain websites that 4 into 2 does go!

Can he play centre? In case Steve...you know....

I'm sure he played a fair bit of centre at Parra, can't remember if he was any good because they were winning spoons back then.

Unless Jorge has learned how catch in the off season this guy should start and will have a cracking season, tramp stamp and all.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4