Blake in frame for assistant coaching role

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I read this earlier, while i love the idea of keeping it Manly does Blakey have the talent or cred?

Mick Potter seems to be the best choice from the names going around.

Blake would be OK. No to Iro or Potter. Don't forget this position is as 'assistant'. Blake could run the backs. What happened to Cliffy?

tookey said:
Potter or Arthurs for mine. No to Blake and iro

I am the opposite. I like the Manly connection. I want each coach to have bled maroon. We don't need to look outside our former players.
If anybody saw Phil Blake play then you know he has the flair to turn our backline into something special. His kick-and-regathers worked 80% of the time and usually led to tries.
In today's game of statistical-led attack and defence I want to see more out-of-the ordinary options, rather than the bombs on the fifth tackle and hope for a mistake.

I'd also love to see Blakey back at the club. He's established himself as a good coach in rugby and I think he'd be ideal. Potter has no connection to the club and would only take it on if he felt there was a chance at the main job. Thus leading to potential conflict with Toovey.

Phil Blake was an absolute superstar and to have him involved with the Sea Eagles again would be fantastic for the club.

Make sure whoever it is, is the best person for the role. None of this, he's a Manly legend BS. We should have learned our lesson after guys like Lowey and co.

We are more professional than that. Or we should be.

Is there any irony in the fact that Blakey is a defensive coach?

Love to see Potter in the job but how long would he be happy as No.2 after being a successful No.1 (regardless of it being in the SL)

Imagine Blake showing Dce and foran more chip and chase skills. Bring back the chip and chase

Who ever compliments toovs rather than who is the biggest name / manly legend.

Daniel said:
Imagine Blake showing Dce and foran more chip and chase skills. Bring back the chip and chase

I'm here mate. As you can see by my avatar I'm a big Phil Blake fan. Love to have him back at Brookie. He has made a pretty good fist of rugby coaching so that should indicate he has some form.

Someone who will be here for a few years and bring some flair and something new. Freshen up our attack!

I'd love to see Mick Potter here. I've been a huge fan of his as a coach and it'd be great to have him as a part of the fold. My next choice would be Jim Dymock ;)

:exclamation:

Well now the Prodigal Son returns to the nest. Lets welcome him appropriately.

Blake was a wonderful player and I still remember the magic of his first season until the Parramatta heavies got to him in the semi and knocked him out of the game. Took a few years before he seemed to get his confidence back.

But I don't back Blake for Toovey's coaching assistant because of his playing ability. I would select him for the following:
1) He has played Rugby League, Australian Rules and coached Rugby Union. He has a very broad knowledge of football codes and could bring in some quite innovative ideas as a consequence.
2) He almost took the Marlins (Manly first grade Rugby Union) to a premiership a few years back and I think it was his first year of coaching the team.
3) Blake has been learning his coaching skills, albeit in Rugby Union, as not only a first grade coach but as an assistant coach for one of the NZ/Oz/SA 15s competition teams and has some international assistant coaching experience as well as far as I know.
4) He's a Manly junior and played under Fulton's tuition and therefore understands the Manly style.

Though he hasn't coached Rugby League at the highest level, he has achieved the level of being a skilled coach in a closely aligned code at almost the highest level and with some success and what he could bring to the game may be quite beneficial and unique. Of course I would also consider Lyons as a second assistant coach....why not? Dessie has six over at Canterbury.

The Bear thinks Blake should be given the job and the Bear doesn't like to be disappointed. Grrrrrrrr.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6