Blindside - Zorba Article

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DVS Matt

Bencher
THE NRL continues to brush Manly great Steve Menzies who was amazingly not invited to the Dally M awards during the week.

The Sea Eagles icon, departing for England after 16 seasons in the NRL, has played no role in the game’s Centenary Season celebrations in 2008.

Beaver didn’t want a big deal made out of his non-invitation to the awards, but we think it stinks.

The man has played with the one club since 1993 and couldn’t jag an invite. Incredible.

“I would have thought Beaver, being probably the best ambassador of the game over the last 15 years, would have been No.1 on the list,” Manly co-owner Max Delmege told us.

“That’s ridiculous.”

We couldn’t agree more. What’s more, it’s time the NRL developed an independent award to celebrate the season.

Way off target
ANY speculation that Australian heavy-weight champion John Hopoate may meet former Sea Eagles teammate Solomon Haumono in a title defence is way off target.

“We are brothers and have a pact never to fight each other besides he’s way too good,” Hoppa said. Hopoate took a rib and shoulder injury into his fight against Bob Mirovic as a result of his recent final series with Cromer in the Manly-Warringah A Grade competition.

League of their own
WE hear a Manly-based scribe from a broadsheet rag had a verbal blow-up with a leading rugby league figure at Kings Cross following the Dally Ms on Tuesday.

Blows were not traded, but it’s obvious the pair are not close.

Gifted move
STILL on the Dally Ms, we hear second-rower of the year Glenn Stewart was going to skip the awards before he was eventually talked into going.

It’s a good thing ... the kid is going places. An Australian jumper awaits.

Bearded wonder
WOLF man David Williams had no problem getting around his old hood Parramatta with anonymity, but it’s a different story now that he’s an NRL regular with the Sea Eagles.

“When I was with the Eels I could have walked through the streets of Parramatta and nobody would have looked twice at me,” the Manly winger said this week.

“Everyone is really positive and most people just want to talk about how we are going and my beard. It’s funny, I just grew it for a laugh and now the boys won’t let me shave it. It will be staying to the end of the season.”

Paws off
OUR spies tell us St Augustine’s schoolboy rugby sensation Kotoni Ale is being targeted by club rugby bullies Sydney University.

The Marlins junior has already played Australian Schoolboys and is worth keeping an eye on. Let’s hope University keep their paws away from the talented flanker. A nice thought, but unlikely.

Something special
RATS second-rower Sitaleki Timani was so dominant in his performance over Randwick last weekend that Wicks’ assistant coach Duncan McRae was making inquiries about the forward, during the game.

McRae was so blown away by Timani’s work rate that he approached some Warringah reserves who were warming up in the in-goal.

“Who is that bloke, where’s he come from?” McRae asked the bench warmers.

Rats coach John McKee knows who he is. “I think Sita is going to be a special rugby player. He’s going to be an outstanding player for Australian rugby at all levels,” McKee said.

Rah-rah Beaver
SPOTTED: Steve Menzies, cradling baby Miller, and partner Suyin Condon were seen at Woollahra Oval last Sunday as the Rats went down to Randwick in a thrilling club rugby semi-final. Perhaps Beaver is considering a career in rugby?

Great tournament
THE inaugural Shawn Bradstreet Cup match will be played at Nolans Reserve over two days from Monday.

It’s a great tournament, named after one of Manly-Warringah Cricket Club’s finest players.

Angels ascend
WORD is the Eagles Angels have found a sponsor for 2009. It is believed the five-figure arrangement will let the girls get back their lounge at Brookvale Oval.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4