Bloody Hell

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

clontaago

First Grader
Gronk and I just received an email from a good mate of ours down here who is affiliated with the Rising Sun hotel, a Storm sponsor and pub which some of the players frequent.

Apparently the boys were telling him that a Watmough/Cronk swap is on the cards for next season. Cronk is spewing apparently as he will still have 3 years to run on his contract.

He is usually not far off the mark with his info which worries me.

As good as Choc is, I'd take that swap. Good backrowers are easier to come by compared to good halfbacks. Plus you can win a comp with so-so backrowers and a good half, but not very often the other way round.

Anyway I'd be surprised if it happens, especially if Cronk is contracted.

hmm not sure I am that keen on this idea. I like the idea better than getting Mason here, but I think you could start building a team around Choc.

Cronk looks good in a great team not sure how he would look in good to average team which our team would be without Choc

Agreed Wheel, Cronk did nothing for the Storm in the 2008 GF.  Maybe he needs Smith to do all the creative stuff.  And if Cronk is spewing about this romour, then he's not the guy for us.  Choc wants to be here, and so he should be.  Stick to developing Hodgkinson, Cherry Evans or another likely local as half.  Swaps rarely work out. 

Bellyache has been after Choc for ages, and he has just had his next wish in Big Willie knocked back by the Board. Wouldn't surprise me if he is behind it. Cronk has had a groin problem for two years and has just undergone surgery so maybe they think it is a possibility he won't come back as good - a sort of winning bet both ways for them if it goes ahead. Finch plays both five-eighth and halfback positions.

Unfortunately it is a done deal gents.

I gave our contact a buzz this afternoon to check if he was geeing up and he ain't.

He was cut to be losing Cronk as he is real popular with the locals at the rising sun. 

At least Clon and I can drink with Choc down there now - the team goes there after just about every home game. 

Is it on Cronk's current salary? He signed a long deal at about 250k. At that price he is the bargain-priced half in the comp.

Don't want to lose Choc though. I'd fight bloody hard to keep him.

Just got back from having a beer at my local where one of the Manly development blokes drinks. 

I asked him the question about the rumour of the swap of choc with Gronk and while he didn't confirm that it was happening he said that the club was on the lookout for a new half back because they know that Foran is already a done deal with the roosters after this year.

I would be gutted if this was true. I don't rate Cronk any better than Orford, both good halfbacks but not worth losing our best attacking  backrower over.
First it's Foran now Watmough, I hope they have some aces up there sleeves because from where I'm sitting it looks more and more like we are crumbling rather than re building.

I don't like the sound of this.  Cronk is not the guy to lead us around.  Another Orford.  Why get rid of our most damaging forward for a half who has a dodgy groin and is unhappy with the move?  That doesn't make sense.  Why not Hodgkinson or Cherry-Whatever?  Is this the beginning of my hatred of our new CEO?  I'll be mightely pissed off is this is true. 

Thinking about it a bit more, I just can't see it being a winner for Melbourne

Get rid of Cronk, Finch the only backup of any note and quality 7s are hard to come by, while they already have the likes of Blair, Hoffman and Manu in the backrow along with up and comers such as Proctor. It just doesn't make any sense for them imo

Yeah it doesn't add up to me either Kiwi. 

When I was speaking to my mate Tidge this arvo (actually his name is Sam) he said apparently Manly were 'desperate to do the deal'

Neither of us had any idea why, but it doesn't sound too good. 

I've heard similar on this topic, that Manly and the Storm could be working on a convoluted deal involving 3rd parties etc because of salary cap issues.  Personally it's quite a good move except we'd have been better off making a play for Cronk in 2005 rather than Orford.  Would have saved us a heap of money. 

Watmough gives away too many dumb penalties for mine and top halves win premierships, not mistake ridden 2nd rowers.

Mata - that is a joke. He is the best forward in the league at the moment and to suggest that we should get rid of him at this time is totaly lunacy, especially at this time. To chase after Cronk is a joke unless he comes at a bargain price. Given, he is much better than Ox but this really worries me. Get a perspective though on the merits of Choc!!!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8