Blues draft Maitua as 18th man - WTF

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Stiffi

Reserve Grader
Blues draft Maitua as 18th man

June 11, 2007 BULLDOGS forward Reni Maitua has been included in the New South Wales Origin squad as 18th man for game two at Telstra Stadium on Wednesday night.

Maitua, who will arrive in camp tonight, will be on stand-by should there be any late injury concerns.

The call-up was timely for the Maitua, who celebrates his 25th birthday today.

Maitua, who has played one Test for Australia, against New Zealand in the opening game of the 2006 Tri-Nations series, is yet to play for NSW.

But he has only a slim chance of making his state debut at Telstra Stadium, with the entire Blues squad emerging unscathed from today's penultimate training session.

Surely Watmough or Gallen would have been a better choice!!

Maitua would be classed as having more utility value, it can be argued that Watmough offers centre cover, but it seems Maitua is rated as being able to fill Lock, 5/8 and centre should anything occur in the warm up

That's what I thought KE.

I figured they went with him because he's more versatile... it is still bollocks though.... Players should be rewarded for form. Gallen, Watmough and Laffranchi are all playing a ****load better than Maitua

He won't play and for that reason its good that watmough isn't dragged away for half a week.

Who was it that outright bagged me for suggesting Maitua for Origin? My OBSESSION with Bulldogs forwards apparently?

[quote author=Ryan]
Who was it that outright bagged me for suggesting Maitua for Origin? My OBSESSION with Bulldogs forwards apparently?

It was me.

I stand by everything I said too.
[/quote]

Well you are a **** judge of who is a good player and who isn't. Thanks for clarifying that.
AGAIN, and like DES has suggested...they are the benchmark. I want Manly's forwards to get to that level.

Maitua is a damn fine player but Watmough/Gallen/Laffranchi were more deserving on form this year. Maitua was selected for 2 reasons, didnt play on the weekend and he can cover, lock, 5/8 and centre. They must only see Watmough as a 2nd rower.

[quote author=Nutzcraw]
[quote author=Ryan]

It was me.

I stand by everything I said too.
[/quote]

Well you are a **** judge of who is a good player and who isn't. Thanks for clarifying that.
AGAIN, and like DES has suggested...they are the benchmark. I want Manly's forwards to get to that level.
[/quote]

Do you think Maitua is more deserving of a Blues jumper than Watmough, Gallen or Laffranchi??

Also I dont believe the Bulldogs are the benchmark forward pack anymore, on paper they are but that is not showing on the paddock.

Although I wont be writing them off this season, that would be foolish!!!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6