Blues Halfback

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
IN the space of two weeks Newcastle Knights rookie Jarrod Mullen has gone from Andrew Johns's sidekick to a contender for the Blues.

The 20 year old is looming as a State of Origin bolter after New South Wales selector Bob McCarthy yesterday declared the young No.6 had been earmarked as a future representative star.

With a shortage of stocks in the crucial playmaking position, Mullen, Johns's protege at the Knights, could play his way into a Blues jersey over the next three rounds with strong performances for the Knights.

"He is playing good and we will definitely consider him," McCarthy said.

"We watched him play in the schoolboys a couple of years ago and we earmarked him for five years down the track. That's was only a couple of years ago so we will see what happens."

Mullen is no certainty to be selected at five-eighth for New South Wales Country when the team is announced on Sunday, with St George-Illawarra's Ben Hornby and Knights full back Kurt Gidley in contention for the team's clash with New South Wales City next Thursday in Coffs Harbour.

But McCarthy said the boom youngster was still a chance of unseating the favourites Jamie Lyon and Braith Anasta for an Origin call-up.

"It depends where the Country blokes play him," McCarthy said.

"We will see what happens in the City-Country game and then go from there."

McCarthy is confident NSW will be able to come up with a halves combination capable of matching the formidable Queensland combination of Test stars Johnathan Thurston and Darren Lockyer.

"(Brett) Kimmorley is playing good," McCarthy said. "And (Matt) Orford played good the other day when he came back.

"We will have someone to take the fight to Queensland. Don't worry, we will have a good backline too."

My pick pre season was Mat Head would get the role, that has fallen flat on its arse.

Experience is needed this year, so i would pick an older half, either Orford or Gower, and inside them a youngster in Carney, although Lyon is an option and on form Anasta has to be in the frame at the mo

Anasta is playing quite well.

it should be either

Gower with Anasta or Gidley

or

Orford with Anasta or Gidley

Robbie Farah on the bench.

i was deadset against Anasta at the start of the year , but now.........................

Look i'd still go Orford/Carney in SOO1 (pending City/country) but if Carney fails and i mean fails badly then Anasta would be my plan B

Gower does not have enough attack and if you couple him with a largely running five-eighth, QLD will kill NSW.

It has to be something like:

Orford/Lyon
Orford/Anasta
Orford/Carney

Orford can organise a side as good as anyone in the comp right now.

Has to be Orford/Carney. Anasta is still pitiful. He's entirely predictable in attack and his defense is often missing. Still totally overrated. I just can't understand how people can still talk him up.

Kimmorley now has a halfback for a coach and is playing the best he has played in a long time.. would not be surprised if he got the nod.

Kimmorley now has a halfback for a coach and is playing the best he has played in a long time.. would not be surprised if he got the nod.

I don't think that's got much to do with his coach - more to do with the fact that he's basically playing for his final contract. It was always going to bring out the best in him....

Orford has to have a blinder for City opposite Kimmorley to take the spot from him, he's done bugger all to demand his selection in these games in the past.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4