Bob Fulton's plan to make referees the 17th NRL club

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
RUGBY League Immortal Bob Fulton believes referees should be given the same backing and financial support as a 17th NRL club, adding that the code's on-field officials are just as important as any club, coach or player in the game.

Fulton, alongside former Australian cricket coach John Buchanan, have been appointed by the NRL to oversee a full review of the refereeing ranks, following a season of controversy and backlash from commentators and supporters.

Read More

RUGBY League Immortal Bob Fulton believes referees should be given the same backing and financial support as a 17th NRL club, adding that the code's on-field officials are just as important as any clu
Bob-Fulton1.jpg
b, coach or player in the game.

Fulton, alongside former Australian cricket coach John Buchanan, have been appointed by the NRL to oversee a full review of the refereeing ranks, following a season of controversy and backlash from commentators and supporters.

The pair will meet with NRL head of football Todd Greenberg and referees boss Tony Archer, within the next fortnight where a detailed plan for the future of referees will initiated.

Fulton is a significant appointment by the NRL given his unrivalled resume and credibility at the elite level, which includes ten years as Australian coach, two premierships as coach of Manly and he is the current advisor to NSW coach Laurie Daley.

In 1987, Fulton famously told former whistleblower Bill Harrigan: "I hope you get run over by a cement truck."

However, Fulton said his willingness to take up the consultancy role with the NRL was to help create a greater level of consistency in the standard of refereeing which has become unacceptable to the majority of coaches, commentators and supporters of the game.

Fulton — who boasts an official referees certificate — was unwilling to discuss his views on the possibility of a referees bunker or the success or failure of the two referee system.

However, he admitted there needed to be a greater pathway for the development and recruitment of young referees.

He also feels that a greater level of financial support is required to ensure the professionalism and training of referees reflects that of any of the other 16 NRL teams, while also making sure the performances of referees are accountable, just as players and coaches are at any NRL club.

"I'm only one of the individuals who has been approached to try and help improve the standard of refereeing," Fulton said.

"But there's a common belief within the game that we have to help the referees.

"My view is, they have to be treated like a 17th club.

"They have to be given the same sort of funding that the clubs get because they're just as important than any club or individual player in the competition.

"And so we've got to get it right. And we haven't got it right yet."

The seed for Fulton to assist the NRL refereeing ranks was first planted two months ago, following an approach from Greenberg and general manager, Andrew Hill.

He was Fulton, who is renowned for telling it how it is, said his criticism of referees in the past was only ever made with the game's best interests at heart.

"I'm the first one to say it is the most difficult job in the game and my criticism — bar the cement truck line at Bill Harrigan, over the years has been constructive and justified," Fulton said.

"It's the hardest job in the game, without doubt. But that doesn't mean they should be exempt from criticism.

"I'm not saying I'm a Mr Fix-It, but there's lots that can be done, I'm looking forward to our first meeting in a couple of weeks."
David Riccio
The Daily Telegraph

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/rugby-league-immortal-bob-fultons-plan-to-make-referees-the-17th-nrl-club/story-fni3fbgz-1227042323674

I thought Shayne and the Roosters already did get the same support as every other club (and then some).

1.Stop the Inglis tactic of stepping over the mark; get them to go back and play the ball again.

2.Penalise any defender for even touching the attacker as he gets up to play the ball.

3.Only allow two players to tackle a defender at any moment. Exception to this rule applies in 10 metre zone and in- goal.

These 3 rule changes bring us back to one ref, give us a nice clean ruck, ends the wrestle, ends slowing down the play, rewards big boppers for making good tough yards when they are carrying only 2 defenders on their back, gets us back to games being won via good footy plays rather than exploitation of the ruck.

The biggest blight on the game is the leniency given to star players. Yep, it even happens at Manly eg Watmough gets a way with stuff Hasson and Buhrer get pinged for.

Anyone know who makes or uses cement trucks in Sydney? Bozo could organise them as the ref's major sponsor :p

I still don't get what makes Bozo such a brains trust in the modern game to help referees...He has been a long time out of it...As for Buchannan....????....Throw in Greenturd and Archer....I now feel we have doubled the confusion levels all over again...Less is more...Gould has the right ideas...(cant believe I just said that).

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6