Bob Reilly exits as chairman

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
LONG serving official Bob Reilly has stood down from his role as chairman of the financially struggling Manly Warringah Leagues Club.
But Reilly will continue as a board member as well as his role as chairman of the Manly Warringah District Rugby League Football Club.

Read the full article

Good luck to bob it was a tough gig the leagues club has struggled for along time post super league. However I think he made some positive improvements to it. I will always remembering going in there in 2002 and you wouldn't even know it was a leagues club. Bob has put the "Manly" back in to the leagues club over his tenure. It very effident when you walk in there now that it's the home of seaeagles.

I think next week after we win would have been better......we will cop it now from the Telecrap

“The club is on a knife’s edge and I just don’t have the club experience and Dave Costello is armed with all that stuff,” he said.

Hmmmm.......

I hope this will help the Leagues Club, as we all know they really struggle to pull a crowd outside of game day, and I can see why they are "on a knifes edge".

I guess we'll have to wait and see what gets done to improve things.

If he does not the experience how did he get the job in the first place?

The club needs a complete change of management and new thoughts and ideas as clearly the ones that have been there for years haven't worked.

Warringah council also needs to turn brookvale into another Dee Why unit city so that there are more people living within walking distance of the club.

So if the club has been under performing for a number of years then how has Bob stayed in the job unchallenged?

You would think performance would be a KPI?

Brookie4eva said:
I hope this will help the Leagues Club, as we all know they really struggle to pull a crowd outside of game day, and I can see why they are "on a knifes edge".

I guess we'll have to wait and see what gets done to improve things.

Have you seen the people there outside of game day? Its little wonder

Its a tough one, how exactly does a club like that survive these days.

It's in an awkward place, and there isn't a lot to do there but play pokies and drink, it's far easier to do that at your local and often in nicer surrounds.

They should be looking at more open air areas, and a great one would be the roof top. Develop the rooftop into an open air bar or restaurant, which would have some ocean glimpses I would imaging, and it will start attracting a new crowd.

They need to move away from the model of bistro, bar and pokies and start looking at upscaling other areas. I could see no reason to make the effort to go there, when I could go to a local for the same quality counter meal. There aren't a lot of people that are local to there, and why wouldn't they go to the Brookvale hotel instead?

Additionally they should market another area as the number one area to watch sport live on the big screens on the northern beaches. The arena at the Diggers is good, but they just don't make use of it.

They could quite easily set up something similar at the club and attract the league and union crowds as well as soccer to come watch on the big screen with free finger foods etc to get them coming.

These are the only ways these places will survive.

Dan

Destroy and rebuild.
Make it the Northern Beaches prime entertainment venue. Like a mini Star City. Utilize both the current spot and the car park across the road to put in a bistro, fine dining area, amusement hall for kids to play in, premium sports bar, conference room/concert hall, and I also like the idea of a rooftop bar.
They just need to bring the place into the future, otherwise it'll fall further behind.

Agreed Blake, and I agree with the 'apartment central' idea, and I probably think that's Penn's long term idea for the place. I would have thought that was the reason Delmege got involved in the first place. The area is full of small industrial sites and houses. Not the place to attract humans at night. Maybe as a live music venue would attract the locals as that sort of thing has disappeared from the Northern beaches over the past decade. ATM the place is inhabited with the living dead.

You right dsm

I lived down there for 18 months and I think out side of game days I probably went to the club 7 or 8 times. Why would you go there on a Friday or sat night when you have the DY Rsl, pubs in manly or the brookie hotel.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7