Body shape

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
Most of today's footballers have body-builder-like physiques, and I'm wondering if this is necessary. Take Cameron Smith as an example of my argument that you don't have to be physically imposing to (a) be a great footballer and (b) to remain injury free.
Regardless of what non Storm fans (that's me) think of him I do marvel at his durability. He looks like an average bloke. If he has muscles they are well hidden. He's not big, nor heavy yet he plays 80 minutes in every match, including all representative fixtures, in a very tough position against behemoths . . . and he never gets hurt; never even seems to be treated for an injury.
How is this possible?
Are footballers overdoing the weights? Is Smith a throw back to the likes of Johnny Raper and Ray Price who were just ordinary builds but took the most extroadordinary punishment and rearely got hurt?

Was talking to a mate about this yesrerday. Beaver was also built like an average joe.

Then you gotta look at Gallen. Probably holding more upper body myscle than any of the other nrl forwards and hes by far the fittest and toughest.

I think it comes down to natural ability. Look at the freakish type players. Massive natural ability. Not much of a build though. Killer is another.

One of the strongest players in the NRL is Jason Nightingale, but doesn't look it. I guess some players are blessed with natural strength.
Dale Shearer was very wirey,but very strong as well.

I do believe that strength and conditioning coaches can over emphasise on the muscular side of things, its great for the muscles to be in top condition but bulding muscle requires the muscle fibres to split to rebuild bigger, if you get a guy that repeatedly goes into the gym and rips these fibres to gain muscle mass then walks out onto the field for 80 minutes hes no doubt going to get an injury due to the fact his body hasnt had time to recover.

Thats why alot of teams emphasise on recovery and nutrition so much these days. I like Donnys approach, more cardio then muscular growth, all teams need to get a mix, muscular endurance is more the type of thing you need (Hindmarsh, Hinchcliffe, Smith, Watmough, Buhrer to name a few) All small physiques but run the ball hard are all quick and can tackle repetitively.

bennyeagle said:
I do believe that strength and conditioning coaches can over emphasise on the muscular side of things, its great for the muscles to be in top condition but bulding muscle requires the muscle fibres to split to rebuild bigger, if you get a guy that repeatedly goes into the gym and rips these fibres to gain muscle mass then walks out onto the field for 80 minutes hes no doubt going to get an injury due to the fact his body hasnt had time to recover.

Thats why alot of teams emphasise on recovery and nutrition so much these days. I like Donnys approach, more cardio then muscular growth, all teams need to get a mix, muscular endurance is more the type of thing you need (Hindmarsh, Hinchcliffe, Smith, Watmough, Buhrer to name a few) All small physiques but run the ball hard are all quick and can tackle repetitively.

I always thought that the intense body building/ bulking stage of training is during the off-season, as we constantly hear X player put on Y amount of muscle during the off-season. During the season they generally reduce their time in the weights room down to once or twice a week just to maintain. That's what a few of the guys that I know in Reggies do.

Interesting discussion. I'd imagine bone density would be a factor as well as muscle density and just plain good old technique. It is interesting that a turd like Smith is so durable.

cliffylyons said:
bennyeagle said:

I always thought that the intense body building/ bulking stage of training is during the off-season, as we constantly hear X player put on Y amount of muscle during the off-season. During the season they generally reduce their time in the weights room down to once or twice a week just to maintain. That's what a few of the guys that I know in Reggies do.

You are 100% correct, I reckon that it's in that period when some players can injure themselves without even knowing. It's a hard thing for the body to be able to put on extra muscle and the damage it does not just to the muscle but to the bone can be incredible, muscles have memory of prior workouts, if you train it to be different it's going to hurt, and this Is where most injuries can occur. I believe that if your big, then your big, if you try an make yourself bigger then your body and bones can take then that's obviously too far.

Train within your limits is what I'm tryin to pass on, a lot of trainers should be pushin the limits but not crossing the line

scheduled plan, correct technique, nutrition, and recovery all these things will keep you going around for a long time. Injuries occur, rugby league would have to be one of the most demanding sports for the body to endure of all time. The amount of jolting tackles that put joints, vertabraes in un natural positions is beyond me.

Glenns injury in the scheme of things is minor, but picture this.

Finger injury, stops him from lifting weights, some training drills (Contact, ball handling and structured plays). Muscles start to relax, even though he would be mixing it up with the best in the club around the running track. He then heads in to slow rehab, light weights, small to minimal ball work, basic structured plays (Shadowing mauros movements in the front line but not actually catching the ball)

Its a tough gig, for such a minor injury too. I commend all the blokes that have played or play league, i know for a fact that my body would deffinately snap in half with 1 tackle.

I complain about a few gym sessions a week and how long ti takes to recover, these blokes do it every day. I hate Cam Smith, but whatever Bellamy and his coaching staff have him doing is world class, the only time i can recall when he was injured was when Matt B filled his boots in origin,

Napper said:
You gotta remember tendons and ligaments are also strengthened when muscle mass is increased.

tendons grow ALOT slower then Muscle does, thats probably why all the Pec tears these days, the muscle is too big for the tendon.

My daughter had her tendon cut in her thumb. hand in plaster for weeks followed by months of rehab just to get the thumb moving again. Glenn's was torn off the bone. These guys are tough. Any physios out there who could make comment on why some players are seemingly indestructible while others fall?

manlyfan76 said:
Napper said:
You gotta remember tendons and ligaments are also strengthened when muscle mass is increased.

tendons grow ALOT slower then Muscle does, thats probably why all the Pec tears these days, the muscle is too big for the tendon.

Yep combined with wrestling in tackles

DSM5 said:
My daughter had her tendon cut in her thumb. hand in plaster for weeks followed by months of rehab just to get the thumb moving again. Glenn's was torn off the bone. These guys are tough. Any physios out there who could make comment on why some players are seemingly indestructible while others fall?

That is the question my friend !

Generally I like tall athletic types,..... but when it comes to footballers I don't care as long as they do the job.

Smith is a bit of a throwback, definitely old school footballer. I actually like Cameron Smith and think it is great that he can be at the top of a very competitive tree and not be a shaved gorilla in body type. He gets by on toughness and skill, and more power to him. Gift is a bit the same in style as well.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7