Bozo - "supercoach"

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
Bozo - "supercoach"

It looks as though Bozo is a lay-down misere to win the coaching spot for the best ever Manly team.

What is not spoken of much when it comes to Bozo is the fact that both times he vacated the coaching position in a vicious downward spiral. It is one thing to coach a generation of champions to a Premiership, but it is entirely another to have the ability to right a listing ship and stick with a team through the process of re-building. Consider:

Won Premiership in 1987 and should have won the 1988 premiership too were it not for a dark day against wooden spooners Wests at Orana Park.

Bozo vacates coaching position to Alan Thompson and Manly endures one of its worst starts and seasons on record with a fairly similar personnel. Thompson and Vautin made scapegoats.

1995-97 3 GF in a row. Premiership in 1996 and finals in 1998. Then Bozoz oversees a losing run at 1999 before jumping ship and handing the reigns to the Sharp buffoon.

You have to have a fair bit of respect for the blokes that were responsible for rebuilding after the mess - Lowe and Hasler.

Discuss.

Bozo - "supercoach"

What you say is right - though I argue that it is the rare coach that can do the job long term with the constraints of the cap and wear and tear. Look at the Roosters - dominant for three years though only winning one (like 95, 96, 97) but aging players and loss of hunger (and Fitler) have impacted. Many sides slide up and down with roughly the same squad.

In Bozo's defence he took over in 93 (when Lowe stepped down unexpectedly due to illness) with a squad of youngsters and a few unknowns and moulded them into premiership giants. Hoppa, Beaver, Gartner, Kosef etc were introduced and brought into the squad.

Bozo - "supercoach"

There is no doubt that he is a good coach but with the talent of the players that he had at his disposal he should have won 4 or 5 premierships.

There was also the intresting comment in yesterday's paper saying that he was calling the selction commitee for Manly's best evre team telling them who they should put in the team.

Bozo has had fallings out with Randall and Vautin and he doesn't want either of them in the team.

Randall is a certainty for second row as he was one of the best ever. Just go to show that he can't keep his nose out of Manly.

Bozo - "supercoach"

I agree with Tookey, Bozo was the greatest player but only two premierships to his name as coach when he had fantastic teams capable is a maajor disappointment. More interested in promoting himself imo, as is his want nowdays. 72/73 coach is the one. Very hard to get a team to win back to back.

Bozo - "supercoach"

Is a shame that Lowe got sick when he did, coz he was an a very,very good coach struck down in his prime, who could have done amazing things

Bozo - "supercoach"

socking that that comes from a kiwi "kiwi eagle" dead set have the hots for lowe dont you?

Just kidding, I rated Lowe too

Bozo - "supercoach"

Lowe also coached the Qld team to an against the odds win in the 1991 SOO - the final series of the King.

Bozo - "supercoach"

It looks as though Bozo is a lay-down misere to win the coaching spot for the best ever Manly team.

What is not spoken of much when it comes to Bozo is the fact that both times he vacated the coaching position in a vicious downward spiral. It is one thing to coach a generation of champions to a Premiership, but it is entirely another to have the ability to right a listing ship and stick with a team through the process of re-building. Consider:

Won Premiership in 1987 and should have won the 1988 premiership too were it not for a dark day against wooden spooners Wests at Orana Park.

Bozo vacates coaching position to Alan Thompson and Manly endures one of its worst starts and seasons on record with a fairly similar personnel. Thompson and Vautin made scapegoats.

1995-97 3 GF in a row. Premiership in 1996 and finals in 1998. Then Bozoz oversees a losing run at 1999 before jumping ship and handing the reigns to the Sharp buffoon.

You have to have a fair bit of respect for the blokes that were responsible for rebuilding after the mess - Lowe and Hasler.
Discuss.
great point mata
im glad to see you point out the job hasler has done
im sure byso will be here bagging him

Bozo - "supercoach"

it all depends on what weighting you give to each of the skills a coach has.

Is it the ability to attract players and get the basics right or the ability to go from 100% to 110%.

Is the best defensive side ever enough to get bozo over the line?

I also think that to judge a coach you need to be there more so than a player as its the little things that arnt recorded in history that make it - hence a lot of the voters only have a couple to choose from.

In my mind Lowe is like Kosef - could have done great things but didnt get the chance to realise his full potential

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4