[Resurrected] Brad Arthur

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Pittwater Legend

We brought back Geoff Toovey!
What does everyone think of Brad Arthur? Personally, I think he is the James Hasson of coaching. I'm sure that most of you would agree so you can imagine my horror when I read today that we were unsuccessful in poaching him as head coach from Parramatta. Had we been successful, I reckon the club would have looked to have taken him on immediately and we'd probably be in a worse position on the ladder than we currently are.

Which means that Trent Barrett is Plan B, after an atrocious Plan A. I hope Bozo has struck gold here because if Barrett mimics his success as a NSW selector then we are royally farked.

You'd also have to be naive to think that the heartache is over. A **** storm broke out over the handling of Glenn Stewart's contract. His standing in Manly's history has nothing on Toovey's. Now imagine the fallout that will unfold from the even worse treatment of one of Manly's finest men, after he had amassed a very good record. The Penn clan may own the club and may have their man as head coach now, but they are now a bigger target than they were before. They better have a solid plan to win titles, otherwise their standings as some of the most despised men in this club's proud history will intensify.

This quote from Penn shocks me:

"There were decisions made last year [in regards to retention] that led to us performing not as we should have in the finals," Penn said at a press conference at Narrabeen on Wednesday. "And [the Stewart decision] was one of them."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...warts-exit-20150729-gin7hj.html#ixzz3hIADSIMy

Sounds like he's seeking to attribute blame to Toovey to justify his decision to sack him.
If so, that's outrageous. Firstly, it's publicly divisive, poor form, and totally lacking in class. Secondly, it's misdirected. If Penn believes certain players tanked, and denied the club a chance at a premiership, then those players are the ones who need to be held 100% responsible for their actions. Professionals act professionally. That includes putting personal issues to one side. Tanking, especially at semifinal time, is certainly not professional.

If I was a player and heard Penn suggest that my teammates and I effectively tanked in a semi, I would be p*ssed off in the extreme.

I hope I have totally misread the situation.

I was making a big deal out of this when it was happening. The main reason we are going so badly this year is because the club tried to sign Arthur in the off season in a bid to retain Foran and DCE.

It effectively pulled the rug out from underneath Tooves; all of the players knew from that point on he was a lame duck.

On a lighter note, imagine if Glenn married Scott?

He could be Glenn Penn.

I noticed too that Mr Fluffy was clean shaven yesterday. Maybe he's been reading the forum?

On a serious note, the posts above further highlight the potentially malevolent influence certain player/s have had on the recent trajectory of the Manly-Warringah club. Maybe that influence would have been more benign, if a certain former media manager hadn't so royally stuffed up the post-incident report on the 2009 season launch.

"There were decisions made last year [in regards to retention] that led to us performing not as we should have in the finals," Penn said at a press conference at Narrabeen on Wednesday. "And [the Stewart decision] was one of them."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...warts-exit-20150729-gin7hj.html#ixzz3hIADSIMy

Sounds like he's seeking to attribute blame to Toovey to justify his decision to sack him.
If so, that's outrageous. Firstly, it's publicly divisive, poor form, and totally lacking in class. Secondly, it's misdirected. If Penn believes certain players tanked, and denied the club a chance at a premiership, then those players are the ones who need to be held 100% responsible for their actions. Professionals act professionally. That includes putting personal issues to one side. Tanking, especially at semifinal time, is certainly not professional.

If I was a player and heard Penn suggest that my teammates and I effectively tanked in a semi, I would be p*ssed off in the extreme.

Well, actually that is exactly what happened. Tanked? not as such but they sure dropped their bundle, particularly Foran. To suggest otherwise is just playing politics.

Well it seems to me that penn has admitted that certain players didn't put in during the semi's last year and caused our loss.

That's a hell of an accusation & one he must know something about to say it in public.

His idea is to get rid of the coach that bleeds for the club & retain older players who don't provide their best during a semi final campaign..and try to retain a player who admitted he didn't want to be here.

If those players didn't put in during the semi's, it stands to reason they'd be less interested this year.

Absolutely amazing the power these players have.

Trent, you better suck up to them otherwise you'll be next!

Being an Assistant coach and focusing on one or two aspects of a team is one thing. It's very different being the FG coach that has to oversee every single aspect of the team.

BA is probably a very good assistant coach but not a very good FG coach. He has had two seasons so far and what has he honestly shown? The players referring to him as a coach you go to war for are seriously deluded.

Which means that Trent Barrett is Plan B, after an atrocious Plan A. I hope Bozo has struck gold here because if Barrett mimics his success as a NSW selector then we are royally farked.

This is my fear, too. Remember that Barrett was heavily linked to the Cowboys when they got rid of Neil Henry. They chose Paul Green instead, which has turned out very nicely for them.

This is my fear, too. Remember that Barrett was heavily linked to the Cowboys when they got rid of Neil Henry. They chose Paul Green instead, which has turned out very nicely for them.
Paul Green is a smart operator, surrounding himself with the likes of Cartwright, Dave Furner, Todd Peyton....Barrett seems to have at least taken that road in his structure.....but can he coach?

The worst scenario is if we drop a few games early next year and people get on an anti Barrett bandwagon. Failure would then become self fullfilling. The guy should be given some time.

On a lighter note, imagine if Glenn married Scott?

He could be Glenn Penn.

I noticed too that Mr Fluffy was clean shaven yesterday. Maybe he's been reading the forum?

On a serious note, the posts above further highlight the potentially malevolent influence certain player/s have had on the recent trajectory of the Manly-Warringah club. Maybe that influence would have been more benign, if a certain former media manager hadn't so royally stuffed up the post-incident report on the 2009 season launch.
Nah ,It would be Scott Stewart .Glenn is def the man in that relationship.

Penn and his cronies can say what they want but the fact is that Toovey was on the outer because he worked with the Quantum faction in relation to player recruitment and the decision to let Gift go has ultimately cost him his job.

I would love Penn to tell us that if we retained Gifty and lord knows we all wanted that so much, how would have we been able to have a chance of retaining everyone? cause if he stays, Choc also stays and that would have meant for certain that one of our halves would have gone and there would have been no room to sign any new players or potentially jeopardised the chance to retain our juniors.

The challenge of the salary cap is a puzzle for every club and Toovey had to work in an environment where the Penn clan which was part of the old board that allowed Hasler to do give the players back ended contracts to keep the team together.

Brad Arthur has that challenge at Parra now and all his eggs are in the Foran basket. They face a penalty of points deduction that will wipe them out for 2016. You reap what you sow!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6