Brad Walter in today's SMH

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Terry Zarsoff

First Grader
Interesting piece by Walter Bradley in today's paper about the shape of the game in 2020. He believes Manly will still be playing out of a revamped Brookvale Oval. What makes that more interesting is that he believes the vast bulk of other Sydney clubs will be playing out of Allianz/ANZ/Parramatta (including Penrith at the latter). Of course it could all be educated guesswork, or (at least in Manly's case) an understanding that something is afoot with regards to Stadium Brookvalia.

I still think that our biggest problem with Brookvale (and its not actually our fault) is that Manly is really the only Sydney based national league sports club located north of Sydney Harbour and that's not likely to change any time soon. There is no one to ground share with, unlike at Pirtek where the Speels and Wanderers are and Penrith may end up. That ultimately makes it harder to attract government funding for improvements to the ground. If we're not careful Manly fans will end up travelling to either Moore Park, Homebush or Gosford for home games in a few years.

It still irks me that St Merge had money virtually thrown at them by the Howard government for improvements to their grounds, especially Kogarah, yet Manly have to fight tooth and nail for just about any government funds for Brookvale. No surprises though when you consider that Howard was the Dragoons #1 ticket holder when he was PM.......when was the last time Abbott was actually at Brookvale Oval? Was it the week before the 2011 GF when Kitey ran past him in front of the tv cameras in just his Reg Grundies?

I still think that our biggest problem with Brookvale (and its not actually our fault) is that Manly is really the only Sydney based national league sports club located north of Sydney Harbour and that's not likely to change any time soon. There is no one to ground share with, unlike at Pirtek where the Speels and Wanderers are and Penrith may end up. That ultimately makes it harder to attract government funding for improvements to the ground. If we're not careful Manly fans will end up travelling to either Moore Park, Homebush or Gosford for home games in a few years.

It still irks me that St Merge had money virtually thrown at them by the Howard government for improvements to their grounds, especially Kogarah, yet Manly have to fight tooth and nail for just about any government funds for Brookvale. No surprises though when you consider that Howard was the Dragoons #1 ticket holder when he was PM.......when was the last time Abbott was actually at Brookvale Oval? Was it the week before the 2011 GF when Kitey ran past him in front of the tv cameras in just his Reg Grundies?
This is the problem with wanting a state of the art 20,000 seat stadium. It supports too specific an area. That's why I think a solid 15,000 seater is perfect. Prices drive fans away anyway so trying to fill 20,000 seats with the new TV deal is going to pro every hard.

If you are going to have suburban grounds they need to be done like the way they build stadiums in the MLS. Look at Portland as a good example.

This is the problem with wanting a state of the art 20,000 seat stadium. It supports too specific an area. That's why I think a solid 15,000 seater is perfect. Prices drive fans away anyway so trying to fill 20,000 seats with the new TV deal is going to pro every hard.

If you are going to have suburban grounds they need to be done like the way they build stadiums in the MLS. Look at Portland as a good example.
I think a capacity of 20K is a minimum anything less shows a lack of ambition, I remember the days when we got 24K plus crowds at Brooky, would love to see a stadium were that capacity was sitting comfortably.

The scheduling of games has a lot to do with that now, too many night games for TV in the cold of winter really stops people going as does the cost of watching live footy now. the NRL need to do more to get folks to come along. in the 70s, 80s and 90s it was never a problem getting good crowds.

Alongside the growth in TV accessibility of NRL games, the NRL needs to now focus on erring on the side of under-pricing tickets.

TV is our biggest revenue earner and TV demands BIG crowds. The bigger the crowd, the bigger the TV appeal, AOTBE. Increased ratings give increased revenue streams.

Anyone under 16 should gain FREE admittance if accompanied by a paying adult (at least in the general admittance areas). Loyalties are built from a young age and they endure. The NRL needs customers to come away from games with a huge smile on their faces, feeling they've got a great deal, great value entertainment. High prices, especially for families, aren't consistent with that.

The NRL needs to be innovative in providing cheap, fast through-put ground food/drinks. If ALDI can do it, the NRL can mimic it.

The scheduling of games has a lot to do with that now, too many night games for TV in the cold of winter really stops people going as does the cost of watching live footy now. the NRL need to do more to get folks to come along. in the 70s, 80s and 90s it was never a problem getting good crowds.
70/80/90's there was less to do. You couldn't sit at home and watch a game and do a bunch of other **** online at the same time. It probably cost $2 to sit on the hill. They had more weekend arvo games. Very different environment.

The atmosphere from a small packed crowd would come across on TV. It's why 16k at Brookie works better than the same amount of people but at ANZ. Which is why I like smaller seating.

i can't believe I am reading this dribble.

we have averaged more than 15K with the current facilities so to improve you want to lock fans out??

15K seats with a 10K hill would make sense as one a cold rainy night 15K would be your max but on a nice sunday afternoon we oftern crack 15K

i can't believe I am reading this dribble.

we have averaged more than 15K with the current facilities so to improve you want to lock fans out??

15K seats with a 10K hill would make sense as one a cold rainy night 15K would be your max but on a nice sunday afternoon we oftern crack 15K
Looking at the past and banking on that continuing is a pretty stupid way to run anything.

well you must be that guy that does the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

That is the definition for something, i just cannot remember what.....

If manly can't get 20k people to a footy game. It's should be all over for Brookvale oval. You can't have it both ways. There is either a demand for a bigger stadium at Brookey because people are showing up in droves and there is a need for more capacity. If ur on the peninsula and happy not to go to the game and watch it live, well just don't winge when u don't have that option in the future. Simples. Show up. Or shut up.

If manly can't get 20k people to a footy game. It's should be all over for Brookvale oval. You can't have it both ways. There is either a demand for a bigger stadium at Brookey because people are showing up in droves and there is a need for more capacity. If ur on the peninsula and happy not to go to the game and watch it live, well just don't winge when u don't have that option in the future. Simples. Show up. Or shut up.
There is a demand on big match up Sunday arvo games. But are you going gone to get consistently 20,000 on a Thursday night? Or Monday?

http://afltables.com/rl/crowds/2015.html
Look at the crowd figures for 2015 and you can count the number of 20k attendances on 1 finger.
Suncorp is the only one .@:cool:
(The Easter and ANZAC day events do not count as a regular game day)

The more seats you have, the less space there is for the kiddies to run around and play. That is what adds to their game day experience @:)

No one mentions the State of the Art Stadium in Melbourne :mad:
Manly also went Bush for a home game, thereby halving that game's attendance:eek:
upload_2015-8-16_7-0-48.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4