Brenton Lawrence Backpedaling

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Such a well spoken and down to earth character but he did get caught out when asked "does he watch many other NRL games".

He wanted to answer truthfully yet not come across as disinterested in other games so he basically was upfront then back pedalled thinking it was not a good look. Then dug himself a hole trying to use the "quality not quantity of viewing" line "I tend to watch players I admire/learn from"---when put on the spot to name a few he struggled to name one lol---basically suggesting that was more a throw away line to look like he was interested in some viewing lol.

Either way well spoken class act.

RE: Brenton Lawrence Caught Out

I think Jorge T is another one that doesn't watch a lot of other games.

Doesn't worry me either way as long as they're " switched on " for our games, and BJ was back to his bullocking best against the Chooks.

What a bargain he's become for us...but seriously could lose the mous' tash...lol!

Yeah I remember them asking Taufua the same question a while back and he basically said no.

I think its more common than you think players not watching other games. They spend all week training then playing a game, wouldn't suprise me if they just want a break from footy on their day off.

I'd rather they didn't watch other games. With all the bulls**t commentary and rubbish refereeing I don't want our players to become as disillusioned and cynical with the game as us supporters have become. Keep them cocooned away from all the media rubbish please.

I have no problem with them not watching games, I only view games I feel I can learn from I just laughed at the backpedaling.

Just say I don't watch many games other than in training nothing wrong with that---it was the back pedalling that made me laugh it came across that he was slightly embarrassed to admit he does not watch much NRL.

Halves should watch more games though and study structures etc from the past and present.

I agree actually that apart from at work, watching the upcoming opposition, it is probably better for 'em mentally to go off and do something else...like have a life...lol.

I know most of 'em say they love it and are lucky making a living this way...wouldn't be as bloody easy as people think sometimes.

I recall Beaver saying, 1 of the secrets to his longevity was not to saturate his life with Footy.
Apparently, he kept a divide between work & home.

This really is just an individual preference. Some players absolutely immerse themselves in the game eating and breathing it like Foz and Horo, while others like Beaver or Horhay need to disconnect from the game when not playing to balance themselves.

No way is better than the other, because Beaver is an absolute legend of the game and I have no doubt Foz is very likely to be one when he retires. Yet both have a different philosophy when not playing.

Each to their own I guess. Brenton is obviously someone who doesn't take much notice of the game when not playing. I have no problem whatever their preference as long as it don't affect their OWN game and performance negatively.

On the subject of back peddling, CH9's Sunday Footy show, Brad Fittler was adamant that Wolfy was in the wrong for tackling Tupou "in the air", then had to apologise for getting it wrong.

wedgetail eagle said:
On the subject of back peddling, CH9's Sunday Footy show, Brad Fittler was adamant that Wolfy was in the wrong for tackling Tupou "in the air", then had to apologise for getting it wrong.
Thanks 4 posting that, because if there was a back pedal on the Sunday Footy Show that was the biggest one lol. Freddy got owned on that one and ate some freshly served humble pie after supposedly speaking the gospel on the situation haha.

wedgetail eagle said:

That is not backpedaling he manned up and admitted he was wrong.

Technical Coach said:
wedgetail eagle said:

That is not backpedaling he manned up and admitted he was wrong.
Well,that was my interpretation, & I'm stickin' to it, cobber.

Technical Coach said:
People are thinking i am having a go at Brenton, i'm just messing around it was a funny sort of back pedal not a "oh i am so up myself i need to get out of this with pride remaining"
Cool, no worries. I take your point, TC.
Fittler could've said nothing, he did admit he was at fault.
Cheers.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8