Brenton Lawrence reveals why club loves to be hated

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
MANLY may be the team every NRL rival club dislikes and that suits their prop Brenton Lawrence just fine.

“There is something weird about it, it is uplifting,” the key member of the Manly engin
241305-brenton-lawrence.jpg
e room said.

“I think one of the best signs in the crowd is ‘Guess what? Manly hates you too’.

”I’m speaking for the crowd, not the players.”

The feelings the Sea Eagles stretch to the days in the 1970s and 80s when Manly were labelled the “silvertails” under the reign of their legendary administrator Ken Arthurson.

One of their fiercest rivalries which started in that period was against Parramatta, their opponents this Sunday.

“We don’t dwell on thing like that but we know they are there,” Lawrence said.

“I think there is a bit of a rivalry with every club, everyone seems to want to beat Manly and it’s good to be a part of that and we always want to beat Parramatta,” Lawrence said.

And he admitted he harboured the same feelings before he joined Manly last year.

“Everyone just seems to have that northern beaches passion or they don’t,” Lawrence said.

Jon Geddes
Manly Daily

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/sea-eagles-prop-brenton-lawrence-reveals-why-club-loves-to-be-hated/story-fngr8iii-1226858246896

MANLY may be the team every NRL rival club dislikes and that suits their prop Brenton Lawrence just fine.

“There is something weird about it, it is uplifting,” the key member of the Manly engine room said.

Read More

I love that sign too!! It just sums up our mentality.

Or 'No-one likes us...we don't care' that's a cracker too.

I do too.

It's us against them.

That is why we'll always be on top and that is why they'll always hate us.

I also think that is part of the curse for those that leave Manly and never taste success again. They cannot lift and they cannot generate the mentality of us against them.

When we became the Northern Eagles no-one hated us that was wrong.

I must admit to hating East, Melbourne and the Dogs though.

As I have said before there are two types of Manly supporters. Those that are and those that wish they were. :D

I had a good laugh when I saw this in the 'Daily' this morning and was hoping it would be loaded on here so everyone can have a laugh about the sign. Good onya Brenton :D

.......And he admitted he harboured the same feelings before he joined Manly last year.

Dock 20k off yer salary!

The No one likes us (owned by @Vidmar ) and the Guess What (owned by Spooky in Brisbane) are now iconic signs and always shown on TV (along with the Push it Up Manly sign...that some hate but it's just a sign).

Guess What and Push it Up have grown into their own Facebook pages, followed by thousands.

You have to love them all, and I nearly pissed myself laughing the first time I saw the Guess What sign at the 2011 GF

There's quite a few on FB saying they'd love to buy a t-shirt with the Guess What sign' on it (as a result of Brenton's interview). Wasn't there one available or did it say something else?

ALinda said:
There's quite a few on FB saying they'd love to buy a t-shirt with the Guess What sign' on it (as a result of Brenton's interview). Wasn't there one available or did it say something else?

You used to have it sold on eBay from the innovator himself.
I got one at the 2011 GF Fan Day in Manly, and my neighbours were so taken with it that they bought some too :p

Its a fun slogan :)

Spooky has about 30-40 shirts left, he's coming down from Brisbane , I think Round 5, and will probably sell them at the game.

They did 1000 shirts, and the proceeds were used to get Spooky to the 2012 WCC, he was on my tour.

I have photo's of the banner all over the place.

This from some goose writer on the nrl website....discussing the power rankings:

1. Storm (Last week 2)
Melbourne have been the best side of the past decade and over the first two weeks of the competition they have shown us the how and why of their dominance. They haven’t played particularly well, and they’ve won both matches by a single point, but nonetheless they are one of just three teams left undefeated and knocked off two very handy outfits in Manly and Penrith. Craig Bellamy’s men know how to get two competition points – plain and simple.

Facts simply do not back that up.

No one like us, we don't care.

Though it's amazing how most dumbass journos can't get the scum's non performance over most of the last decade correct.

Go Manly!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6