Brett Stewart Kick Returns

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Bradza

Bencher
Tipping Member
For me, one of the only positives to come out of the last fortnight has been Snake’s improved kick returns. In the majority of occasions previously he would simply concede in the tackle on kick returns unless there was a staggered kick chase. Since his State of Origin experience I have not seen him do this once. On each kick return he has been punching into the gap between two defenders in the chasing line or leading with his shoulder.

As quite a few people have noted this was a glaring weakness in comparison to the topline fullbacks. He still needs to work on this further but it is good to see the change. That was something I was really hoping the origin experience might add to his game but I didn’t think it would happen so quickly.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes Bradza. Was very good to see. I was a bit surprised to see that SOO gave him such an immediate confidence boost.

The other pleasing thing i noticed was orfords chip kicks early in the game, (designed to turn the dogs around, but didnt work well enough to my amazement) which Stewart was ready and well positioned for. He will no doubt just keep getting better.

I have also noticed this change, good on him for adopting it. Hopefully he will begin to break some tackles.

Main thing is, he doesn't injure himself though.

I said in another thread after the City v Country that it would be too much to ask that he kick returns with mongrel because that would make him the best fullback in the comp, given all his other attributes.
Well, now he's fixed it, I'll stand by what I said & give him the number one ranking in my books, just ahead of Hunt & Slater.

Brett got onto the site and read some of the posts....

With regard to breaking the line....with the home games generally being wet games with plent of slipping etc it must be hard to break the line.

Brett got onto the site and read some of the posts....

I enjoy reading your posts mellonhead, you seem to be quite close to the manly boys which makes alot of what you say really interesting!

Are you able to tell us whether they do frequent around the supporter sites??

Depends on who you talk to. Yes, I have a pretty good relationship with the players being a sponsor (not because I'm a good bloke - Byso will attest to that). Some of the players on occasions are very cold, but on the whole will get involved in a discussion, particularly after the games. Knowing a lot of the older players from teams from yester year allows me access to coaching staff and medical personell, being a sponsor the club meams clubs directors ALWAYS listen to what you have to say and then totally forget the conversation after, and this has openned itself to being able to get feedback or confirmation on what may or may not happen with the club and team.

I have a deal going with both the Stewart brother's each home game where I put $20 on both to be 1st or last try scorer, the funds go the Diabetes Ass. This is why he listens to my BS. I spoke with him about his style of play with the proping after getting the ball, and I advised him he should look at our site so that he could critique his game play - We all know this site is full of inspirational coaches- I gave him the web address and he did mention he got on and had a look. Wish Glenn would do us all a favour and be last try scorer...at least once.

Silvertails could make a lot of money if we expanded our hugely succesful and inspirational advice service to the other 15 clubs I reckon.

Damn who needs Des to coach Manly!! I reckon we (silvertails.net) could coach the boys. Just get a couple of selectors - maybe Ryan with his weekly YARTS and another couple, and the rest could instruct the boys on what plays to make!!

Maybe they could come onto the site once or twice a week, read how its got to be done week-in-week-out and go destroy the opposition!! I can see us coaching this side to premiership after premiership!! ;)

Good work on the charity stuff mellonhead, i'm with kiwi diabetes is a very good cause to be involved with.

The jist of this thread is that although Stewart gets tackled returning kicks with very little metres gained and not looking like breaking a tackle, he now looks good doing that but we hope he doesn't hurt himself with his new found 'style'.

Tsk, Tsk.

What's happened to this site? The team is doing well and you have all gone soft. The Alternate Eagles set high standards for our team, The Silvertails make The Rockers look like badass mofo's.

What's happened to this site? The team is doing well and you have all gone soft. The Alternate Eagles set high standards for our team, The Silvertails make The Rockers look like badass mofo's.

The price of blood pressure med's have gone through the roof of late. It left us with no other option. ;)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Good stuff Danno!!!!

Danno, I was waiting for someone to have a go on that point. The fact its taken a couple of days proves that we are getting soft.
I can see that my original post makes me appear satisfied that Snake is simply running the ball a bit harder. He definitely needs to do more than that (ie: break more tackles on the returns using footwork or strength) but they key is that the last few weeks prove he is working on it.

He's still pretty young and consistent improvement in an already gifted player will place him in the top couple of fullbacks in a couple of years and make us a better team. You can't improve unless you first acknowledge a deficiency.

Minichello was always pretty good at bouncing away from the tackler but he had other deficiencies early in his career (handling etc). For all round ability I still think he's the best of a brilliant bunch but is now on the down slope it would appear.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6