Brett Stewart

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

rhino

Last year had the pleasure and honour in seeing Billy Slater in action in the W.C.C. game and despite the poor weather conditions his handling skills and speed off the mark were incredible.
Dont know much about Brett Stewart,what can you lads tell me about him.Weather conditions here today in LEEDS is surprisingly mild for time of year,iff they remain the same until Sunday should be a good game.
  COME ON YOU RHINOS

Stewart and Slater are the 2 best fullbacks in the game and are both in competition for the Australian fullback jersey

Stewart also plays for NSW

He has some incredible touches and is always involved, as well as blinding pace of the mark.

He plays a different game than Slater does but they are both great players, I am biased and like Stewart more, I find slater to be too much of a grub

I really enjoy watching Brett play, he always plays with a smile on his face, and you can see he just loves what he is doing, he tries such cheeky moves a lot of the time, like something you would expect in touch footy. It is a privilege to experience seeing his game develop over the last few years

Rhino, they are similar players but Brett is our hero.

He topped the try scorers in 2008 with 21 from 23 games, has the highest strike rate of any other player and sits with 92 tries from 111 games since 2003. On this current rate he is in line to become the greatest try scorer ever in the game, which is Ken Irvine who scored 212 tries in 236 games over a 15 year period, but obviously has a way to go.

His best assets include his incredible speed, fantastic read of an unfolding game, and hands that virtually never let him down and terrific footwork. He can place a ball down over the tryline faster than any other player I have seen which means strips etc are never a factor when he gets there. I love his defense.

We had one of the greatest fullbacks in Graham "Wombat" Eadie and Brett is in his class and is the wombat of this day. He is so important to Manly I just couldn't imagine him in any other jumper, he is just that big a part of the team we love.

He is someone the Rhinos need to really worry about!

I had the great pleasure to meet Wombat Eadie for the first time at a Post Match function at the Gold Coast last year (after the Titans game)....as I was talking to Graham who other than Brett walked past and I said..."excuse me can I get a photo standing between you two"...I'll treasure that forever as they are both (without a doubt) Manly legends.

If I was you Rhino I'd be worried ...........VERY worried!!!

Phew,i'm bricking it the lad looks something special,Billy Slater was great to watch last year but this boy looks just as good.These 2 fighting for the Aussie test shirt,ahh at least we've got Paul Wellens,ha ha ha.
    How do you lads rate Matt Bowen at the COWBOYS.Thanks for your replies on Brett Stewart,Sunday cant come soon enough.
  COME ON YOU RHINOS

rhino link said:
Phew,i'm bricking it the lad looks something special,Billy Slater was great to watch last year but this boy looks just as good.These 2 fighting for the Aussie test shirt,ahh at least we've got Paul Wellens,ha ha ha.
     How do you lads rate Matt Bowen at the COWBOYS.Thanks for your replies on Brett Stewart,Sunday cant come soon enough.
   COME ON YOU RHINOS

Bowen is another solid player, I think he is just a class below these guys, purely because of his size only.

Put another foot of height on Bowen and you would have a firecracker. No doubt he is an exceptional fullback but he is all speed and ticker, for his size he has incredible defense though, and I remember one year where he pulled off about 3 tackles, IN the in goals and managed to stop a try.

I guess he lacks the flair that the other two have

Bowen lacks the flair?! He's 80 kilos of PURE flair!

I love Brett Stewart, and I think he is an exceptional fullback, but to say Bowen lacks flair is just crazy. I know he missed a lot of footy last year, but surely he hasn't been away so long that you forget how crazy good he can be. At his best he's unstoppable. Very different to Slater and Stewart, he's more playmaker than he is a metre-maker. Slater and Snake both make big metres off kick returns and things like that. They're "tougher", but Bowen is great. I would say he is certainly on the same level as those two, along with Hunt and a fit Mini.

rhino link said:
These 2 fighting for the Aussie test shirt,ahh at least we've got Paul Wellens,ha ha ha.

Haha, Paul Wellens. That guy typified your world cup. He tried hard, but he was so frigging slow and clearly wasn't up to the level or intensity.

depends on what you see as flair really.

I have always though Hunt was over rated and I still cant see what all the fuss is about. His "step" where he jumps in the spot and shimmies in place, just makes me laugh

Hunt isn't the messiah, but he is still in the top bracket of fullbacks. He's quick, tough, fearless, good under the high ball and has a scary kick return. He can get caught out of position, but if he is in the right place at the right time, he can put on a fearsome hit as well.

As for "flair", I'm thinking about his natural instincts when he totally confuses everyone on the field. There's any number of tries he's scored or set-up where he looks like he's toying with the defence. Like against Brisbane where he dummied three times in the one play, and beat like four Broncos before scoring virtually untouched. Or his try at Suncorp (they may have been playing the Dogs?) where Thurston chipped ahead, gave it to Bowen who turned Patten (??? not 100%, I'm a bit vague on this one) inside out and scored a terrific try.

He probably has too much flair. Sometimes it causes him to push the case too far and causes a turnover, when it would've been safer to take the tackle or go for the easy play.

Best summary between the two i have heard is:

Slater make the ordinary look spectacular
Stewart makes the spectacular look ordinary

TBPH if Minichello is 100% fit and healthy I would pick him before Slater and Stewart. He is like menzies at fullback.

Fluffy link said:
Best summary between the two i have heard is:

Slater make the ordinary look spectacular
Stewart makes the spectacular look ordinary

n1 fluffy. Which is very true, i think it is because of how slater runs  (slightly forward) and holds the ball in one hand. Where as stewart everything he does appears so natural. The tap ahead tries when going up for the ball are incredible. It is so hard to just tap it for yourself at that pace.

I hope manly bring back the midfield bananna kick for Lyon and Stewart.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4