Brett Stewart's opportunity

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Beaver boy

Reserve Grader
Brett has been an absolute ornament to the game. The is no question of that and we all love him. He now has a choice to stick it out and work with the playing group, retire a one club man in a few years with head held high and bringing through what looks like a prodigy in TT, or become disenfranchised, withdrawn and leave a bad taste in every fans mouth like what Choc has done.

Brett Stewart has a contract for 2 more seasons. He has NOT said a single word publicly (or privately as far as I know) about anything to do with his contract. You and others on this Forum have happily believed what the media has been saying about his private views. Threads like this ought to be immediately deleted because they do absolutely nothing but peddle unfounded rumours.

Where in my Post Ralphie have I said he has said anything about his contract ?

What I said, if you read carefully is he has a choice to either come on board, or go the other way. It looks at present that he is taking the first option, which all goes well for all involved.

"One club" clap trap is only in the eye of the supporters. The players don't care one bit about it.

Remember it's a job to them. Nothing more.

bob dylan said:
"One club" clap trap is only in the eye of the supporters. The players don't care one bit about it.

You don't think Menzies cared about it? Darren Lockyer? ET? Mini? Even a guy like Jason King.

I'm sure those guys (maybe not King) were offered much more to go elsewhere but they didn't.

Don't forget Cliffy. The year for North Sydney doesn't count. Well come on the bloke played till he was about 40 for us. Surely that equals out the year with the bears.

bob dylan said:

That's true.

30 plus years ago they played for nothing other than love of club, game and playing alongside your mates. That was an environment that allowed loyalty - in fact, it was an honourable thing.

Today, they're not playing for $100 a game, they're not playing for $25,000 a year, it can be up around $250k to $850k p.a.

Sh#t, people are even talking about $1,500,000 per season each, for a couple of our blokes.

That, my friends, is a "business" scenario and "Loyalty" is no longer even a thought.

Beaver, Locky, Mini, Joey, ET, snake, Kingy and fellas like them were loyal but were all offered money or other associated arrangements where they may have accepted slightly lower offers to stay, but were still on fair coin.

(insert "show me the money" scene from Jerry Maguire).

^^^ Offcourse, players salaries exploded overnight during the earliest stages of the "Super League" war of 1995 / 96, which led to split comps in 1997.

The game changed forever, as players contracts continue to skyrocket, remuneration for Origin and Rep matches increases accordingly & players cash in by copyrighting & flogging their "Brand".

Professionalism dominates and loyalty becomes insignificant.

Some say that's progress.

(rant over).

Ridiculous assertion. I've been working this year from a different office (with the same employer) and the work experience is chalk and cheese.

Each club is different. Apart from geographical location, there are factors such as club culture, strength of club financially, commercial contacts, strength of club's playing rosters, the quality of training facilities and medical support, character of the officials, coaches, and prospective teammates, and many other factors.

Your comparisons with '30 years ago' are also imaginary. To understand what $25000 meant back then, you need to know what were the average wages, average house prices etc? There were big money signings back then, just as there are now.

Then, as now, some players will change simply for higher pay, but usually there will many more factors at play than simply the dollars.

Beaver boy said:

What I said, if you read carefully is he has a choice to either come on board, or go the other way. It looks at present that he is taking the first option, which all goes well for all involved.

This thread is implicitly saying it.

"He now has a choice to stick it out and work with the playing group"

You don't say that about any player unless you are implying he is/has threatened to leave. You are questioning his commitment, yet he has not said or done anything to justify you questioning him.

As i have stated previously, Brett is the bloke that has more reasons to leave than anyone. Yet he is the only one that has not said a word about leaving and will probably be the only one that will stay.

Snakes words:
Nicci, I love Manly and I'll never leave. You are my favourite fan and sole reason I play rugby league. Yes I was a little agitated when they moved my brother on. I'm over that now.
I'm looking forward to taking Manly to #9. Once I hang up my playing boots I'll continue my career at the Sea Eagles. I'll try to get you a position on the board.

He probably had more to say but I woke up about then.:D

There probably would have been no hard feelings with Choc if he had said I'm leaving for one final pay day - the guys a space cadet so his earning power once retired is limited and people have a right to earn as much as they can WHILE they can without being judged. It was the attempt at poisoning the club on the way out that left a sour taste in peoples mouths.

If Snake left after 2016 to chase dollars good luck to him. One club player only really means something if the guy is a local junior and has strong ties to the area (which is the underlying shame with Choc).

Ralphie said:
Beaver boy said:

This thread is implicitly saying it.

"He now has a choice to stick it out and work with the playing group"

You don't say that about any player unless you are implying he is/has threatened to leave. You are questioning his commitment, yet he has not said or done anything to justify you questioning him.

To be fair it was quoted in the press that he asked for a release. I am not saying everything that the press say is on the money but they told us months ago Choc was off to Parra, this was denied by all and sundry. They said Matai asked for a release, he then confirmed that he did ask. They said Foran was unhappy, he then confirmed this. Based on all of this I am concerned about how Brett is placed and will he play his best footy for us in the future.

mmmdl said:
bob dylan said:
You don't think Menzies cared about it? Darren Lockyer? ET? Mini? Even a guy like Jason King.
I'm sure those guys (maybe not King) were offered much more to go elsewhere but they didn't.
Bob Dylan is way off the mark. I've heard the phrase "One Club player", "One Club career" come out of the mouths of many an NRL player during interviews. Usually at the time of contract speculation or retirement or whatever. Of course they care about there futures. The longer they stay at the one club, the bigger the decision would be to leave it. Watmough will regret his decision, behaviour. Snake is not going anywhere.

Only two more tries go in front of Bozo's total - but all at the One Club, and he'll only have four NRL/NSWRL 'One Club' tryscorers in front of him: Menzies, Slater, El Mazri, Ettingshausen.

Slither, hiss, Snap, slither ! :exclamation:

^^^ Agree with all that SER8.

Clubs such as ours provide such a strong and positive environment.

I was just trying to suggest that today's NRL players (all professional sportspeople) are part of a very different world today, which involves some really bigtime dollars.

As a result, you might weaken to temptation.

cheers n push it up Manly.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7