Brett story , league live app

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Haz88

Reserve Grader
Not sure if many of you have the league live app on your phone etc, but there is an article about why snake doesn't get the same recognition as other fullbacks. Also saying perhaps with out knee injuries we would be speaking of Brett as an immortal. Def worth a quick read !

Here's the article:

Brett Stewart wearing a Manly jersey has been both a blessing and a hindrance during his career at Brookvale.

In 2009 Stewart was caught up in some serious allegations which no doubt would have turned his and his family’s life upside down (not to mention the life of the complainant).

At this time the Manly faithful, led by Des Hasler, battened down the hatches and focused squarely on his welfare.

Upon his return, Brookvale Oval was packed, sold out with support for the Prince of Brookvale. It was the biggest show of support for a player in such a situation in recent memory.

He has since made the NSW side and is likely to be selected again this year.

However, as I watch and read the debates over the best fullbacks in the game – of which there are plenty – the most obvious thing to me is how quickly they pass over Stewart.

Would they pass over him so quickly if he played for the Dragons? Or the Rabbitohs?

He may have missed two seasons with a knee injury but his statistics, and highlights, speak for themselves.

Stewart debuted in a Manly side that was not so good. The team, largely built around him, has become a powerhouse for the past five years.

He beat Billy Slater to the Kangaroos jersey in 2008. Since that time however, he had knee injuries, was accused of sexual assault, was subject to negative public opinion and was ultimately suspended by the NRL.

The fact he came back from the knee injury is miraculous in itself, however he not only came back to the top league he played Origin and was taken on Kangaroo tours.

His influence was so large that it even had bookies considering whether he was in the side to determine what price they would set for the Eagles. This reminds me of Andrew Johns.

Billy Slater and Stewart have been the best fullbacks in the game for the past years – I only wonder how good Stewart could have been had he not had the injuries. I get the feeling we may be considering them both for immortals status.

But even with the injury, his statistics are still very impressive. Stewart has played 164 games for 108 wins and 65 losses, scoring 128 tries in the process.

Slater, who has played over 60 games more, has scored 144 tries and won 163 games (with 65 losses). The next contender, Greg Inglis has played 162 games with 110 wins and 51 losses, scoring 100 tries.

Even with these impressive statistics, he doesn’t get spoken of in the same bracket as these other players.

A large part of his lack of recognition is to do with the side he plays for – I wonder if other Manly players will have their legacy harmed purely because they play in a Manly shirt?

What a stupid conclusion. Playing for manly didn't seem to hurt Bob Fulton (immortal). Fulton was loathed by opposition fans and was the face of manly for 10 years.

I don't think so. Fulton was pushed out of the top 13 players (from 1908 onwards) so that Old Mate Wal could fit in to placate the Queenslanders, back in 2008. Fulton played 260-odd first grade games and in 3 winning GF teams (all of them in Sydney) and played against some decent international opponents as well. Sir Walter on the other hand spent the bulk of his career as a big fish in a small pond called the Brisbane competition.

And why wasn't Steve Menzies not considered one of the best 100 player in the game in 2008?

There is plenty of anti-Manly bias out there. Just the other day, the Fairfax press had lists of their (league journalists) best 25 players. Many of them didn't include Jamie Lyon. I find that incredible, don't you?

There is a popular misconception that most prejudice is conscious prejudice - deliberately chosen prejudice.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Prejudice is everywhere. Awareness of our own prejudices is, in general, virtually non-existent.

Phantar said:
Just the other day, the Fairfax press had lists of their (league journalists) best 25 players. Many of them didn't include Jamie Lyon. I find that incredible, don't you?

That's weird??

Actually a week ago or so Fairfax media published their top 50 2013 NRL players and surprise, surprise the eagles had second most players nominated. But noticing Lyon is 28th so missed the top 25.

The Top 50: Smith still the best but Slater closing the gap Date- April 7, 2013 Cameron Smith reigns supreme as the king of NRL, but Storm fullback Billy Slater is not far behind, according to Fairfax Media's annual power rankings.

Some stats I did about the article, showing the count of players for each club in Fairfax's Top 50 Players

More to the point how doesn't Matt Bowen not get a mention for the Cowboys in that thing?

ManlyArmy said:
Here's the article:

Brett Stewart wearing a Manly jersey has been both a blessing and a hindrance during his career at Brookvale.

In 2009 Stewart was caught up in some serious allegations which no doubt would have turned his and his family’s life upside down (not to mention the life of the complainant).

At this time the Manly faithful, led by Des Hasler, battened down the hatches and focused squarely on his welfare.

Upon his return, Brookvale Oval was packed, sold out with support for the Prince of Brookvale. It was the biggest show of support for a player in such a situation in recent memory.

He has since made the NSW side and is likely to be selected again this year.

However, as I watch and read the debates over the best fullbacks in the game – of which there are plenty – the most obvious thing to me is how quickly they pass over Stewart.

Would they pass over him so quickly if he played for the Dragons? Or the Rabbitohs?

He may have missed two seasons with a knee injury but his statistics, and highlights, speak for themselves.

Stewart debuted in a Manly side that was not so good. The team, largely built around him, has become a powerhouse for the past five years.

He beat Billy Slater to the Kangaroos jersey in 2008. Since that time however, he had knee injuries, was accused of sexual assault, was subject to negative public opinion and was ultimately suspended by the NRL.

The fact he came back from the knee injury is miraculous in itself, however he not only came back to the top league he played Origin and was taken on Kangaroo tours.

His influence was so large that it even had bookies considering whether he was in the side to determine what price they would set for the Eagles. This reminds me of Andrew Johns.

Billy Slater and Stewart have been the best fullbacks in the game for the past years – I only wonder how good Stewart could have been had he not had the injuries. I get the feeling we may be considering them both for immortals status.

But even with the injury, his statistics are still very impressive. Stewart has played 164 games for 108 wins and 65 losses, scoring 128 tries in the process.

Slater, who has played over 60 games more, has scored 144 tries and won 163 games (with 65 losses). The next contender, Greg Inglis has played 162 games with 110 wins and 51 losses, scoring 100 tries.

Even with these impressive statistics, he doesn’t get spoken of in the same bracket as these other players.

A large part of his lack of recognition is to do with the side he plays for – I wonder if other Manly players will have their legacy harmed purely because they play in a Manly shirt?

At the end of the day (well at the moment) -
History books will show :
Brett Stewart 2 premierships
Billy Slater 1 premiership 2 Grand Final wins
Greg Inglis 2 Grand Final wins

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4