Bring Back Top 5

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Clint

Tipping Member
Whilst I don't mind the top 8, the top 5 is definitely the best system for finals.
The current top 8 system rewards mediocrity.
By my calculations the Broncos could lose this weekend, giving them a 11-13 record, and still make the finals.
I do like the top 8 in that it gives us more finals games and keeps teams interested for longer in the season, but it does reward teams who maybe do not deserve to play finals footy.
I know most of you will know this, but under the top 5, the minor premiers get week 1 off, 2 plays 3 and get a 2nd chance if they lose and 4 and 5 are knockout.
Fairer system imo and rewards the minor premiers with a week 1 rest.

I think top 7 would be good, and would be a workable solution, less than half the comp makes it and you can have an adequate play-off. 5 are too few teams for a decent finals series and 8 is too many.

We should expand the comp by 2 teams and then make it top 7, that would be perfect.

What I don't get is all this talk about home games. We don't get one. It seems that everyone else in this finals series gets one*.
(*barring the Gummies, but they don't count).

What I don't get is all this talk about home games. We don't get one. It seems that everyone else in this finals series gets one*.

DSM5 said:

When the NRL came up with that "big stadiums" rule they thought we would be the only team affected - there's no way they thought the Sharks would be relevant to a finals series!!

The broadcaster who just shelled out $1bil + for the rights, might have something to say about the 30% reduction in lucrative finals matches to telecast.

Can't see them ever going back to a Top 5. Too much lost revenue by reducing number of final games.

Chip and Chase said:
The broadcaster who just shelled out $1bil + for the rights, might have something to say about the 30% reduction in lucrative finals matches to telecast.

Can't see them ever going back to a Top 5. Too much lost revenue by reducing number of final games.

Yeah, I didn't think about that either although I do still prefer the top 5 scenario over the top 8

I say stick to the top 8

I mean those 6-8th guys are really gonna cause an impact so let them have there day in the sun

If we had a top 5 teams would have nothing to play for from about round 12

Top 16 round robin finals series would keep interest going over the usually boring off season period...

If you make it a top 5 there is no more Cinderella stories like the Warriors last year for us to painfully crush ;)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7