Broken contracts

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

simon64

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Looking back at 2013, one of the things that was on the rise was the breaking of a contract, or in the case of Josh Dugan, carrying on like an A-grade tosser so the club has to sack you only to sign for another club a few months later.

I just can't accept that a player commits to a club for, say 4 years, and in the case of Barba, claims personal reasons to sign for another club with pretty much zero negative consequences before his obligations are met.

I know that if a contract to purchase real estate is signed and not completed, the deposit is forfeited. You wouldn't do it lightly but NRL contracts don't seem to be subject to the same adherence guidelines.

I mean if a coach is sacked, he gets his money (See Tim Sheens). But Sticky duds Parramatta and nothing.

Should players and coaches who walk out on clubs prematurely take a hit financially ? I think they should. We need to place greater value on the signature they put on a contract.

Sure thing, if a player/Coach has every intention of staying, but is made redundant, pay him out.
But, If he cuts & runs, it was his choice to go & should be his financial loss.
Maybe Esbee Dubya's 1 year contract thing is a sign of the fickle times.

I reckon the clubs should fine players that act like tossers. Then tell them to pay the fine before releasing them of their contract. I wonder how many would break their contracts.

I've always felt they should get fined but not only that but the player can't play against his old team whilst his old contract was still valid.

Broken hands on broken ploughs
Broken contracts broken vows
Broken pipes broken tools
People bending broken rules
Hound dog howling bullfrog croaking
Everything is broken.

Agree....but when Jamie Lyon did it to Parra to come to Manly ( in a roundabout sort of way ) I have got no problem with it.

Jamie Lyon was always entitled to come to Manly in 2007. His Parramatta contract had expired by then. Manly never benefited from his walkout on the Eels. St. Helens did though.

NRL salary cap review: free movement for players a priority
November 1, 2013
Adrian Proszenko

The NRL is considering allowing players to effectively be free agents at all times as part of a widespread review of the salary cap.

The ARL Commission has engaged all major stakeholders, including players, agents, clubs and the media for the first time, as it seeks to modernise the salary cap while retaining a level playing field.

Some of the options being considered include:

❏ The NRL centrally contracting marquee players in a system similar to cricket and rugby union;

❏ Having just one salary cap for all of a club's teams with NRL, National Youth Competition and State Cup to all come under the one umbrella;

❏ Providing a sliding scale for loyalty payments, which grants concessions the longer a player remains with the one club;

❏ Allowing players to shift clubs at any time, in spite of contractual ties, if clubs can agree terms;

❏ Implementing a salary cap that includes a limit on off-field spending on resources such as coaches or high-performance units. :huh:

The NRL will not implement any of the more radical proposals for next season, but all options are being examined to provide a system that will cater for the game's needs for decades to come. However there could still be some changes for next year if the key stakeholders agree they benefit the game. Some of these - such as abolishing the controversial second-tier cap - would require the renegotiation of the collective bargaining agreement, which was only signed off this year.

One proposal the NRL is keen to implement is the introduction of a salary cap committee to deal with complaints or challenges from the clubs. However, this would require a change to the governing NRL rules, which state this is solely at the discretion of the salary cap auditor. ''A lot of the feedback we've had is, unfortunately, that the salary cap auditor is the judge, jury and executioner,'' said NRL executive Jim Doyle, who is leading the review.

''We're looking at having a panel in place like a judiciary where there are a group of people who you can tell what you think and why you think that way.''

The lack of loyalty in the game - from clubs to player and vice versa - is a bugbear for many fans. However, consideration is being given to allowing players to move freely from club to club at all times if two clubs can agree terms, which may include a transfer payment.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nrl-salary-cap-review-free-movement-for-players-a-priority-20131031-2wlyv.html#ixzz2jKYM5IV0
--------------------------------------------

Watch the Membership numbers plummet with a turnstile Roster at Clubs :mad: Sounds like a Calcutta Auction, where Clubs will bid on all Players, each and every year :dodgy:

Interesting how the $$$$million Coaches feel about having the NRL limit their earnings, like they do with the Playing Roster:cool:

The only positive idea, is the sliding scale allowance for long serving Players.
Although, I don't believe that it should commence till at least 3 continuous years at a Club.

manlyfan76 said:
I wonder what the rlpa will make of all of this.

They are part of the discussion, as apparently are some Representative of the Fans :huh: - don't know who they would be though.

The RLPA maybe the one who put forward the idea of a limit on Coaching Staff's Salaries :p

Do government handouts for training facilities for the likes of the dogs, broncos and souths come under "off field spending"?

I'm gonna go with no.

So even more advantage for those that already have it.

How is off field spending supposed to be policed? They must be joking!

HappilyManly said:
manlyfan76 said:
I wonder what the rlpa will make of all of this.

They are part of the discussion, as apparently are some Representative of the Fans :huh: - don't know who they would be though.

The RLPA maybe the one who put forward the idea of a limit on Coaching Staff's Salaries :p

I have been doing surveys for the NRL most of the year, one of these was on the salary cap. Don't know if that is what they are talking about.
Whatever the nrl come up with will have to be OK'd by the rlpa

I agree with most of the above but would also like to implement a points system as well.

This would allow all players to get their true worth but a club would be limited as to how many points a player would carry with him to the new club.

Moondog said:
Broken hands on broken ploughs
Broken contracts broken vows
Broken pipes broken tools
People bending broken rules
Hound dog howling bullfrog croaking
Everything is broken.

@Moondog its a great song.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10