Brookie blooming

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
I took a stroll around Brookie Oval last week (although the Council has signs proclaiming it as Brookvale Park) before collecting my members cap at the merchandising store, and I thought it looked fantastic. It seemed, through my maroon glasses, that the old girl had been spruced up, with new landscaping, new cladding on the stands, and a paint touch up. The field looked immaculate. Seeing Brookie without a crowd of people also reinforced that the Hill could be much higher and deeper and cater for a further couple of thousand supporters. This to me would be an inexpensive way to increase capacity and enhance the uniqueness of the so-called 'old fashioned' RL ground.

A further tick for the club is the quality of this year's members cap. It is so much better in quality, and design, than the 2013 cap. However, the 'Stronger Together' sticker is ordinary. I'd like to see more stickers in the Member's packs.

The Who said:
I took a stroll around Brookie Oval last week (although the Council has signs proclaiming it as Brookvale Park) before collecting my members cap at the merchandising store, and I thought it looked fantastic. It seemed, through my maroon glasses, that the old girl had been spruced up, with new landscaping, new cladding on the stands, and a paint touch up. The field looked immaculate. Seeing Brookie without a crowd of people also reinforced that the Hill could be much higher and deeper and cater for a further couple of thousand supporters. This to me would be an inexpensive way to increase capacity and enhance the uniqueness of the so-called 'old fashioned' RL ground.

A further tick for the club is the quality of this year's members cap. It is so much better in quality, and design, than the 2013 cap. However, the 'Stronger Together' sticker is ordinary. I'd like to see more stickers in the Member's packs.

Well spoken!

I reckon make the hill bigger for another 1,000 people and re-vamp and modernise the stands to add another extra 1,000 people

Bring back the old wooden grandstand, when you could hear every word of the passionate, cuss laden tirade delivered by such great half time "motivators" as the great Ray Ritchie.

2V would be an overnight youtube sensation.

The Hill used to be higher, deeper. Until 1995. Check the old channel 7 Rox Messup footage.

The high centre (as in 'a hill') was removed in the off season, and its been that way since.

The view consequently from the Hill was much better than it is now. Typical maximum attendance for the 70's - 80s era was around 25-27k. Ok so the stands have been expanded, but the overall loss there would only be a few hundred.

27655 Manly v Parramatta Brookvale 31-Aug-1986
26168 Manly v Canberra Brookvale 28-Aug-1994
25876 Manly v Balmain Brookvale 30-May-1976
25549 Manly v Brisbane Brookvale 04-Jun-1995
25448 Manly v Balmain Brookvale 24-May-1987
24381 Manly v Norths Brookvale 18-Jul-1993
24156 Manly v Parramatta Brookvale 01-May-1983
24031 Manly v Parramatta Brookvale 04-Jul-1982
23211 Manly v Parramatta Brookvale 11-Jul-1976
23168 Manly v St George Brookvale 26-Mar-1978

Townsville Eagle said:
Manly is gods country, if I had the money I would buy a house in the area and live there as a true local of the greatest football club ever.
Me too TE. Came from there and plan to go back. Ride the waves at Freshie and cheer for the best team in the world on the Brookie hill. I'm sure our missing money is out there somewhere:) Go Manly!

EagleFromMay1967 said:
The Hill used to be higher, deeper. Until 1995. Check the old channel 7 Rox Messup footage.

The high centre (as in 'a hill') was removed in the off season, and its been that way since.

The view consequently from the Hill was much better than it is now. Typical maximum attendance for the 70's - 80s era was around 25-27k. Ok so the stands have been expanded, but the overall loss there would only be a few hundred.

27655 Manly v Parramatta Brookvale 31-Aug-1986
26168 Manly v Canberra Brookvale 28-Aug-1994
25876 Manly v Balmain Brookvale 30-May-1976
25549 Manly v Brisbane Brookvale 04-Jun-1995
25448 Manly v Balmain Brookvale 24-May-1987
24381 Manly v Norths Brookvale 18-Jul-1993
24156 Manly v Parramatta Brookvale 01-May-1983
24031 Manly v Parramatta Brookvale 04-Jul-1982
23211 Manly v Parramatta Brookvale 11-Jul-1976
23168 Manly v St George Brookvale 26-Mar-1978

Very interesting about the size of the Hill. I'm sure the Council must have taken it upon themselves to reduce its height in order to "protect us from falling off it", as is the way in our Nany State.

The Who said:
EagleFromMay1967 said:
The view consequently from the Hill was much better than it is now.
Very interesting about the size of the Hill. I'm sure the Council must have taken it upon themselves to reduce its height in order to "protect us from falling off it", as is the way in our Nany State.
i) Yes, the slope on the hill was (pre '96) steep enough so that you could actually 'see over' the people in front of you.
ii) Added to that the ground lights mounted along the tops of the western stands that shine on a shallow angle toward the hill, so for night games, you can barely see through the glare.
The way it is now, is crap.

You know I couldn't give a rat's about whats actually in the Members kit, all I really want is a decent cap (so I can proudly say I am a member) and a decent car sticker.

This year it's neither, for me the cap is crap AND the "Together-Stronger" sticker is garbage, I put it on my 4WD yesterday, looked at it today, and took it off again.

I wish I had left the nice member 2013 one on!!

The other bells and whistles....pfft who cares

Mark from Brisbane said:
You know I couldn't give a rat's about whats actually in the Members kit, all I really want is a decent cap (so I can proudly say I am a member) and a decent car sticker.

This year it's neither, for me the cap is crap AND the "Together-Stronger" sticker is garbage, I put it on my 4WD yesterday, looked at it today, and took it off again.

I quite like the cap, Mark. What don't you like about it? I reckon it's way better quality then the ones in recent years! Although, a slightly younger looking trucker style hat would be better for those of us who are younger.

This is where someone (cough GE) posts a pic of the 2014 members cap perched on the Hill at Brookie Oval :)

@globaleagle

Mark from Brisbane said:

Don't blame you Mark, I haven't put my 2014 members car sticker on either. I bought some good Manly car stickers off e-bay & put one on my car & Mrs Mals car :)

Mals said:
This is where someone (cough GE) posts a pic of the 2014 members cap perched on the Hill at Brookie Oval :)

@globaleagle

lol

I tried but hat says he wouldn't been seen up there with the riff raff!

I'm sure '14 cap will be with me soon.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4