Brookie is spot-on for Eagles hero

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
small_eagle.jpg
Brookie is spot-on for Eagles hero

21 Jan 09
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/brookie-is-spot-on-for-eagles-hero/

OFF-CONTRACT Manly winger Michael Robertson admits he’s under extra pressure for the 2009 NRL season as he attempts to secure a new deal at the club.

The 25-year-old is entering his fourth season at the Sea Eagles after joining from the Raiders in 2006.

During that time Robertson has become a mainstay in Manly’s backline, making his international debut for Scotland at the 2008 World Cup.

It is believed his memorable three-try haul in last year’s premiership decider has him on the radar of a number of rich English clubs.

But as he enters his ninth season in the NRL the durable winger has spoken of his desire to remain at Brookvale and ensure the Sea Eagles remain at the top of the comp.

“Every year is important but being off- contract there’s a little more pressure on myself,” Robertson said.

“Of course I want to stay at Manly. It’s a good club and we’ve had a lot of success.

“But we’ve also got a lot of other good players who all want to be here as well.”

When asked about the lure of playing in England and the big money on offer, Robertson said: “I’d like to at some stage of my career. I wouldn’t say no to it.

“It’s something everyone wants to do.

“It’s just trying to find the right time.”

Sea Eagles skipper Matt Orford, forwards Heath L’Estrange and Glenn Hall and Test winger David Williams also come off-contract at the end of the 2009 season.

It’s understood salary cap constraints will make it hard for the NRL champions to retain hold of both of their representative wingers.

But Williams hopes the pair will both still be in the maroon and white in 2010.

“I know Robbo would love to stay, and I’d love to stay as well and play alongside him,” Williams said recently.

“Hopefully everything comes through for both of us.”

Meanwhile, Sea Eagles officials remain confident new recruit Tony Williams will be fit for the World Club Challenge despite a hamstring injury.

It was originally thought the 20-year-old would be out for eight weeks but he has been responding well to treatment and is still available for selection.

I guess the Ox could be the one going to UK and that might free up enough of the cap to keep the rest.  We need a decent half to emerge pretty quickly though

either that or Ox may take a bit if a cut.

I wouldnt want to lose any of those players and I don't see us as having a viable replacement for Ox yet. It sounds harsh but wingers are pretty easy to come by.
Hopefully the players will sort it out with the club and some of them take a slightly reduced salary to stay, but thats just dreaming.

Robbo has not missed 1 single game with us since he came to the club, and having someone solid like that is worth every penny. He performs every week (unless he is in fullback) and plays every game, what more could you ask?

Robbo must stay.

I wouldn't mind that much seeing the back of williams if bani is still around.

The club has finally made a big clean out of the also rans at the end of this season, but imo Robbo is one that just doesn't fall into that category. On only a wingers salary if he is forced out due to salary cap issues then i will be pretty pissed off. Not a missed game and look at the quality of the tries he scored in the GF. Yes, he is just a winger, but he has earned the right to stay.

General concensus from a few people that I've spoken to appears to be that Ox will head to the UK at the end of his contract.

hmm then Carney may be on the cards. I wouldn't mind Campese though either.

Carney just doesnt fit the no dickheads policy

maybe carney will say he has bipolar.....

I reckon he would do good at manly with Kite keeping him under his wing.

I thought we were linked to all these "secret" meetings with Pearce? While I say it might be preliminary, where there's smoke n all:-

Sea Eagles deny rumours of ownership change and bid to lure Pearce
Andrew Webster and Glenn Jackson | October 10, 2008

THE businessman who made an audacious attempt to buy a significant stake in NRL premiers Manly this season held a secret meeting with Roosters halfback Mitchell Pearce last month about enticing him to the club.

Just days after Sea Eagles owners Max Delmege and Scott Penn were lauded for helping the club win the premiership, it has emerged that businessman Robert Melhem wants a slice of the action.

Pearce's manager Mike Newton is understood to be close to Melhem, who is friends with former captain Ben Kennedy and has been celebrating with Sea Eagles players since their grand final victory over the Storm on Sunday.

News of the meeting has infuriated the premiers as much as the Roosters, with angry Manly chief executive Grant Mayer denying the club wanted Pearce or that the club's ownership structure would be changing.

"Mitchell Pearce is not coming to this club," Mayer said. "I can guarantee this club will continue under the present ownership structure of Max Delmege and Scott Penn.

"We had an approach from a third party during the season, and he made a presentation to the board. When a club has been successful like ours has, people see it as an opportunity.

"But the ownership structure of the club is not going to change given the work they [Delmege and Penn] have done in securing the club financially."

Delmege said: "The last thing we need is for Robert Melhem to be involved. Why would we change the structure of the club now that we've been so successful? We're not interested in Mitchell Pearce. I'd know."

Pearce, who was named the Roosters' player of the year on Wednesday night, has another two years to run on his contract.

Channel Nine reported last night that Roosters coach Brad Fittler fronted Pearce about the meeting but the Herald has been told Pearce informed his coach about the meeting the following morning.

Newton emphatically denied Pearce wanted out of the club, where he shot to prominence this year, leading to his State of Origin debut for NSW in game three.

"It's categorically incorrect," Newton said. "He's happy at the club. He's totally content, totally at ease. He's happy with Freddy, happy in the environment, and happy with the group of players."

The player manager confirmed he had introduced Pearce to Melhem before Pearce's sister's 21st birthday but downplayed its significance.

"Me and Mitchell had a beer with a bloke who's a former sponsor of Manly before Mitchell attended his sister's 21st," Newton said. "I haven't spoken to [Manly football manager] Steve Gigg, I haven't spoken to Grant Mayer, I haven't spoken to Des Hasler.

"This happened six or eight weeks ago, and it's insignificant. He's not even a [current] sponsor. He has no official capacity with Manly. He's a personal friend of mine. We had a beer. It was literally one beer."

Pearce is understood to be on holidays with his father, former international Wayne Pearce, and could not be contacted, while Melhem was not immediately available for comment last night.

Delmege and Penn have widely been acknowledged as the saviours of the club after the failed merger with North Sydney under the banner of the Northern Eagles had it on the brink of collapse.

Mayer said he was angry about the revelations of Melhem's involvement because it again cast Manly as a mercenary chasing the game's elite.

"All I can say is here we go again," he said.

Meanwhile, Greg Bird's suspension from Cronulla will extend into the pre-season after his court case over an alleged assault on his girlfriend was adjourned until November 20, three days after his Sharks teammates are due to return to training.

Pearce is a Roosters type player, not one for us.  He only knows to punt the ball across the field, lacks composure in attack, and his defense is often found wanting.  sure he made the SOO as some would say, but I don't think he offered anything in that forum.  Leave him to run around in circles inside Anasta, Lord knows we've had many of those types.  Either we buy Carney  as a number 7 or develop our own.

Im pretty sure Hodkinson is an Aussie Schoolboy rep and a regular in the 17 and 19's NSW teams.

I would like to give him and Cherry Evans a chance before we blow big bikkies and end up with a Kimmorely/Orford situation on our hands.

DSM5 link said:
Pearce is a Roosters type player, not one for us.  He only knows to punt the ball across the field, lacks composure in attack, and his defense is often found wanting.  sure he made the SOO as some would say, but I don't think he offered anything in that forum.  Leave him to run around in circles inside Anasta, Lord knows we've had many of those types.  Either we buy Carney  as a number 7 or develop our own.

Pearce is only 19 ffs. And at 19 is superior to Carney at 19 imo

And to say his defence is often found wanting....that's just crazy. He's one of the toughest halves going around, and his defence is above average - especially for a 19 year old!

Isn't Pearce YOUNGER than Cherry Evans, and yet we're more willing to take a punt on Daly? I don't understand that.

Both Pearce and Carney are quality young halves. Pearce is a halfback, Carney is a 5/8. Pearce is a better organiser, Carney is better individually. Both have good kicking games, Carney has the better passing game. One major difference is that Carney is a loose cannon and Pierce is regarded by the Roosters as one of their most dedicated trainers, noted for doing extras and is one of the fittest in their club.

I'd be happy for either of them to wear a Manly jersey in the future.

Hodkinson is talented, but has just come back from a serious knee injury, I am hopeful he will be able to have recovered from it well enough, but it happened at a pretty bad time in his career - he missed a lot of development last year and has a bit of catching up to do. Too early to say whether he will float or sink...

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6