• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
MD John Greco
11 January 2008

CONSISTENT Manly forward Mark Bryant has welcomed the increased competition for places in the Sea Eagles forward pack in what he admits will probably be the biggest season of his career.

Bryant, off-contract at the end of 2008, has been ever-present in the Sea Eagles' top 17 over the past two seasons but faces an almighty battle to keep his spot in the club's star-studded engine room.

International prop Brent Kite and Jason King will again lead the way while the acquisition of representative frontrower Josh Perry and the return from injury of George Rose means the club is well equipped up front.

Boom forward Adam Cuthbertson, Jack Afamasaga and Glenn Hall will also battle for spots in the top 17.

"We've got a lot of good forwards here so there's a bit of added pressure but that's a good thing," Bryant said after training at Narrabeen during the week.

"Josh (Perry) has come in and he's a great player but he probably has the added pressure of breaking into the side from the guys that are already there.

"I just want to improve my game and work on my strength and speed. It's definitely a big year coming up but it's just a matter of training hard and getting myself right to go. If I do that then all that stuff should take care of itself."

Bryant, who moved to the club from Canberra in 2005, said he hoped another strong season would secure him a new contract at Brookvale.

"Me and my wife love this area, love the people and love the club," the Cootamundra junior said.

"Hopefully we can start talks early and work out a deal that's best for both parties."

The Sea Eagles are well into their preparations for 2008 and trying to move on from the heartache of the grand final loss to the Storm but Bryant admitted it was still very much in the players' minds.

"A lot of us are still disappointed with how our season ended," he said.

"It (2007) was a good season for the club but as players we look at how we played our last game and it hurts. We've got five months of mulling it over in our heads and unfortunately it's one of those memories that just sticks."

will struggle to make 1st grade team, with only 10 interchanges, his slowness and size will be a liability

forwards will be kite, king, perry, jack a and hall

choc, beaver, glenn stewart, willos

heath le strange cover hooker and halves etc

bench will be perry, beaver, jack a or hall and le strange

If Bryant can regain his form of 2006 we should resign him, howeverand I say this as a fan, I can not see him being resigned over any of the current crop unless '08 is a massive year for him, the bloke needs to be more agressive, faster and have a better attitude in his defence which at times was not worthy of a first grade footballer.

Just because he is slow & has trouble moving side ways doesn't mean he has a bad attitude

article on Rose in today's Tele. I've put it up on the news page.

I doubt we'll see him in 1sts this year.

This is what I would consider Manly’s best team:-

1. Brett Stewart
2. Micheal Robertson
3. Steve Matai
4. Steven Bell
5. Michael Bani
6. Jamie Lyon
7. Matt Orford
8. Jason King
9. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Steve Menzies
13. Glenn Stewart

14. David Vaeliki
15. Adam Cuthbertson
16. Josh Perry
17. Glenn Hall

DES will go with:-

1. Brett Stewart
2. Micheal Robertson
3. Steve Matai
4. Steven Bell
5. Michael Bani
6. Jamie Lyon
7. Matt Orford
8. Jason King
9. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Glenn Stewart
13. Luke Williamson

14. Mark Bryant
15. Adam Cuthbertson
16. Josh Perry
17. Steve Menzies

?? wheel, his attitude in defence at times through the year was questionable, not a bad attitude all round.

Ryan, your team. I agree with most spots, however I would like to see Cuthbertson play lock. I think Beavers time in the starting line up are numbered, he needs to be preserved this year in order to get the best out of him.

Vaeleki was pretty good when Parra made the GF a few years back - might slot into matai's spot regulary when he is injured or suspended.

Matai's also recently had surgery. They are trying to insert a brain...

He has a brain.......but its that small incendiary device next to it, that goes off every now & again that requires surgical removal.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2