Bulldogs and the Cap

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
PAUL KENT THE DAILY TELEGRAPH MARCH 15, 2014

Bulldogs CEO Raelene Castle has denied Andrew Fifita will be paid $850,000 a season

BULLDOGS chief executive Raelene Castle denied Andrew Fifita was being paid the reported figure of $850,000.

That is to be expected, and might even be right. The figure is coming from a party close to Fifita, who possibly has an interest in the figure getting out. Unlike the Bulldogs, who don’t.

But even if the $850,000-a-season is wrong, you can be sure Cronulla chairman Damian Keogh knows the figure down to the dollar. After all, it was Keogh’s job to come up with something close enough to keep him at Cronulla.

And he couldn’t.

Keogh is understandably still stinging. It would be hard not to be.

In The Australian on Thursday Keogh said: “We went as hard as we could but the kind of money you’re talking about, he is going to take up over 10 per cent of their salary cap ... well over 10 per cent”

When clubs take allowances into account, marquee players and long service and what-not, they can spend $6.2 million on player salaries.

Next year it will be $6.45 million.

Fifita will chew up 13 per cent of Canterbury’s cap. The other 24 players will share 87 per cent, even though that includes internationals Frank Pritchard, James Graham, Josh Morris, Sam Perrett, Sam Kasiano, Greg Eastwood, Krisnan Inu and Tony Williams.

Then there are Origin players Michael Ennis and Josh Reynolds. The young Moses Mbye, who signed this week for a reported $150,000 next year.

When you consider there are 13 players left who must be earning the NRL minimum wage of $80,000 next season, that leaves just $4.56 million to be shared among those 12 players named. Take out Fifita’s $850,000 a year, and Mbye’s $150,000, it averages to about $400,000 each, or less than half Fifita’s wage.

So Keogh’s concern is significant. But then he dropped this:

“It is going to put some pressure on them [Canterbury] in terms of who they can recruit and how they can pay players moving forward and that’s the rules the NRL allegedly has us playing under.”

Anyone else notice that?

Allegedly.

Keogh is saying what people are thinking.

How do they do it?

What is it that the Dogs have that makes players, other than Fifita, want to play at below market rate?

Many questioned the wisdom of buying a prop for a club that already has three international props, plus Aidan Tolman and the rising David Klemmer. Particularly at a club that is so light on for a strike fullback.

Yet on Wednesday Castle responded: “We are not going to sign a fullback just for the sake of it. But if a star fullback were to become available we would definitely be interested.”

So the Dogs have enough money left in their cap for not just any fullback, but a star fullback. That would suggest those 12 current representative players are on less than the $380,000 average suggest above. They have to be to make room.

It is a wonderful piece of administration.

For a time there I thought a disparity in third party allowances might be why there is a growing gap, ever increasing, between the top clubs and the rest in the NRL.

But the average total among the 16 NRL clubs being received in third party agreements is just $200,000.

The Bulldogs, along with Brisbane, Parramatta, North Queensland, Sydney Roosters and South Sydney get roughly double that from declared third parties.

Cronulla, St George Illawarra, Wests Tigers and Newcastle are below, while the remaining six clubs are near the average.

Allegedly.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/bulldogs-ceo-raelene-castle-has-denied-andrew-fifita-will-be-paid-850000-a-season/story-fni3fh9n-1226855218848

Well they have a track record for cheating the salary cap. Why not do it again, they have learned from previous mistakes. Anything is possible.

Lord Eagleton said:
Independent audit of the Doggies salary cap thanks

That will never happen as long as Greenturd is in the NRL head office.

It is way too simplistic too assume fifita is going to be on 850 per year

With front ending/ back ending (which we know des did here) it is more likely he is going to have some "cheap" years and "expensive years". It is the same way we have kept a team that if, paid their normal (I.e contract length divided by total value) contract would also be over the cap

But then again not like the tele to take things past the base level

The dirty dogs get away with it now even more cause Greenturd was the architect of how to rort the cap.

They are a club who seem to take great delight in not only buying players from other club but also trying to cripple that club, it was us 2 years ago and now they are feeding off the misery of the hapless sharks.

The NRL has to do something about players signing for other clubs at the start of a season. The fans hate it.

Yeah can't understand how the NRL that allow signings during season, so many other competitions i.e NFL, NBA, MLB, EPL have signing windows where you have your free agent signing period. How can it be that the NRL can't have a similar system to fit their needs?

Another thing I think the NRL should look at is a system for clubs who develop their own talent similar to MLB or NFL in when a young prospect signs with club the club have control for certain amount of years but go through a process of re-signing new contracts every few years and have a independent panel who can mediate between agents and clubs if needs be to agree new deals. After so many years of team control you can become a free agent and sign wherever if you choose. But teams who develop players don't lose them at the early part of career after putting in hard work of developing the player and then lose him after 1 year of 1st grade. Teams would be able to cut players if they don't require them at a earlier date and the player becomes a free agent earlier then

Garts said:
To be fair our roster is far superior to the Doggies. If they are cheating then many other teams are as well.

I'm sorry but I disagree with your logic here.

Yes our roster is better but Manly haven't bought a marquee player in almost ten years ... the Dogs have bought several and had to attract them on big coin.

Also, it's common knowledge that several Manly players have taken pay cuts to stay together ... no mention that the Dogs have - they are motivated by money not mateship IMO.

I have said it before and ill say it again

" dogs by name , dogs by nature "

Look i was one that thought Foran had signed with them , i was furious !!!! and the fact that i was told by family/friends dog supporters that it was a done deal...

ill tell you if they got him , they would be a premiership threat , but they didnt and i couldnt be happier....

they dont have any strike power , even morris wants to go back to the steelers and his their best back.... love it how Barba left and is going well at broncos....

Match their forwards and they have nothing...

we have the best half combo , then their is reynolds/walker , pearce/malony, carney/robson & thurston/who ever... the best halfs in the game are taken so they can spend money on as many forwards as they want... and hopefully they get caught soon breaching the salary cap and still longing a premiership !!!

i dont stress about them anymore , because they have NOTHING on the field !!!

good luck scum DES , with a non winning culture !!!!!!!

Blowfly said:
Garts said:
To be fair our roster is far superior to the Doggies. If they are cheating then many other teams are as well.

I'm sorry but I disagree with your logic here.

Yes our roster is better but Manly haven't bought a marquee player in almost ten years ... the Dogs have bought several and had to attract them on big coin.

Also, it's common knowledge that several Manly players have taken pay cuts to stay together ... no mention that the Dogs have - they are motivated by money not mateship IMO.

Just because they have been here for ages does not mean they are not on big coin. I get they would stay here for less but we are not talking about staying for 50% less. Our side is stacked full of talent and our roster looks like its worth more than many squads out there, including the dogs.

At a guess I'd say that the last marquee player Manly signed, and its debatable if he was considered a marquee player back then, was Killer. Most of the others who have joined the club from outside their juniors, players like the Stewart's, Jorge Taufua, Wolfman, DCE, Horo, Lawrence etc were signed when they were juniors or journeymen players who've resurrected their careers here.

People are beginning to wonder how clubs like the Dogs, Chooks and Donkeys are able to have numerous current or past rep players on their books, yet they are able to go and sign high profile players like Fifita to reportedly huge contracts and still remain under the salary cap. But under that same cap, a player like Glenn Stewart may well be pushed out of Manly because we can't afford him.

I wonder if Des is doing the same sort of back-end deals at the Dogs that he did here? If he is it might come back to bite them on the arse later on.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2