Bulldogs set to be new home for Crocker

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
By Andrew Webster | February 05, 2009
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006066,00.html

MICHAEL Crocker - the most punishing forward in rugby league - stands to lose close to $1 million if he does not receive a visa to play with Hull in the UK Super League. As the Bulldogs confirmed their interest in the Australian and Queensland back-rower, The Daily Telegraph has unearthed the shambolic situation confronting Crocker.
He is sweating on an appeal to the British High Commission after it rejected his visa application.
While Crocker's management remain hopeful the appeal will be upheld, Hull officials have privately admitted "he won't be coming". They are resigned to the fact his appeal will be rejected.
The Daily Telegraph has learned that a chaotic set of events has left arguably the best forward in the game in no-man's land.
An incident in March 2005, when he had to be subdued by police with capsicum spray outside the Palace Hotel in Coogee after a fight broke out involving his best mate, is at the heart of the matter.
Crocker pleaded guilty to affray in Waverly court in January 2006 and the incident attracted a $10,000 fine from his former club the Roosters.
He fled to Melbourne to escape the late-night temptations of Sydney but the incident is now haunting him. Affray is considered a major offence in Britain.
It stands to cost Crocker dearly.
He asked for an early release from the final year of his contract with the Storm, which was worth about $350,000 a season.
The Storm couldn't believe their luck at the time because they had concerns about his longevity in the game because of injury - a result of his full-throttle approach.
Crocker wanted out because he stood to earn more than $900,000 over three seasons at Hull.
He split with long-time manager Jim Banaghan and aligned himself with former Storm teammate Denis Scott, who pieced together the Hull deal. What neither he nor Scott anticipated was that there would be a problem in gaining a working visa.
His appeal to the British High Commission could take as long as three months.
Crocker's other manager, Andrew Purcell, said yesterday he had not spoken to any NRL clubs - including the Bulldogs - because he did not want to prejudice the appeal process.
"We have fielded no calls from any NRL clubs," he insisted.
But Bulldogs recruitment manager Peter Mulholland confirmed he had spoken to Purcell about securing the stranded back-rower.
"We made an approach today (Wednesday) just to check on his status," Mulholland confirmed.
"He's a quality player of international and Origin standard.
"His manager told us that he was waiting to see what was happening with the appeal process first."
The Bulldogs would appear to be Crocker's best option of covering some of the shortfall should his deal with Hull evaporate.
Sacking wayward back-rower Reni Maitua freed up at least $250,000 but some of that was gobbled up when the Bulldogs signed Broncos forward David Stagg.
They would prefer to sign Crocker to a long-term deal.
Canberra and South Sydney are also believed to be interested.

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
By Andrew Webster

The Daily Telegraph has learned that a chaotic set of events has left arguably the best forward in the game in no-man's land.

Andrew Webster, uppercut yourself son.

I reckon there would be at least  2 dozen better forwards than this grub, whoever is stopping his visa needs an uppercut

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
whoever is stopping his visa needs an uppercut

I'm in total agreement with you on that one B_e.

I don't know why, but I hate Michael Crocker as a player. I know it's slack, but I thought it was great when he was hit in the head with a ball, and it dazed him.

Also, I wish Kite knocked his block off ! Hehehehe....

The guy is a tool but a good player.  If we were struggling for depth I would not be upset if we signed him. 

Id be physically sick for weeks if we even looked twice at that hack.

I hope he's in the Centrelink queue with the other criminals by the end of the month.

It is time we exported more of our criminals back to the Old Dart. Ready the fleet and pile them on board as there are plenty more grubs our game could do without.

The SL Salary Cap rules changed in 2008. "The combined earnings of the Top 25 players must not exceed £1.6 million and clubs will only be allowed to sign a new player if they have room under the cap. Clubs will also be allowed to spend a maximum of £50,000 on players outside the Top 25 earners who have made at least one first grade appearance for the club during the year." That doesn't sound too far off what we are allowed.

Even if we were struggling for depth I'd hate it if we even looked at him.  His hit on Stewart was unforgivable.  He's a year past his best and is beginning to look like a punchdrunk fighter.  That's why the Storm let him go, he's just worn out.   

Garts link said:
The guy is a tool but a good player.  If we were struggling for depth I would not be upset if we signed him. 

Sorry Garts, but what are you thinking ? Take a long hard look at that incident (latter rounds) where Kite challenges crocka and then watch the GF again. Im blowing my own trumpet here but i recall saying back then that crocka had a second eye on who was coming for him.

He had lost his nerve, and watching those games it was clear to me he offered nothing. In fact he did SFA for any game time in 08.

The bloke is a fraud. A fake. Charlatan. Meaningless dwarf in league.

Am i over doing it now ?

8)

Jatz Crackers link said:
[quote author=Garts link=topic=179103.msg206291#msg206291 date=1233799137]

na
keep goin

Sorry Garts, but what are you thinking ? Take a long hard look at that incident (latter rounds) where Kite challenges crocka and then watch the GF again. Im blowing my own trumpet here but i recall saying back then that crocka had a second eye on who was coming for him.

He had lost his nerve, and watching those games it was clear to me he offered nothing. In fact he did SFA for any game time in 08.

Am i over doing it now ?

8)

[/quote]

Jatz Crackers link said:
[quote author=Garts link=topic=179103.msg206291#msg206291 date=1233799137]

Am i over doing it now ?

8)

[/quote]

I think he is one of the biggest tools in the game.  But if we were struggling down the bottom of the ladder I would not be upset if we signed  a player of his calibre to help move us up.  No way would I consider him in our current situation but if things were different I would.  And I bet 3/4 of the posters on here would like the guy after he joined us.  Much like Perry, everyone hated him at Newcastle with a passion then he joins us and they love him. 

As for saying he is useless that is just plain stupid.

Garts, just admit your error and move on, I sometimes do.  Perry was never loathed by the masses who post on this blog.  I think when we signed him many felt (I did) that he was a fat useless lazy pie-eating forward but that's about all.  Crocker is a dog, pure and simple.  I for one wouldn't attend a game if he was playing for us.     

Perry was thougth of as a chicken shot coward and yes DSM he was loathed and laughed at by many.

think Kylie Leulai (sp) and Car park and it should jog some memories.

And you are about as likely to admit an error as MAtas :)

DSM5 link said:
Garts, just admit your error and move on, I sometimes do.  Perry was never loathed by the masses who post on this blog.  I think when we signed him many felt (I did) that he was a fat useless lazy pie-eating forward but that's about all.  Crocker is a dog, pure and simple.  I for one wouldn't attend a game if he was playing for us.     

What error.  Crocker is a good player, if you can not admit that you are wrong.  I agree he is a cheap shot merchant etc etc but that does not change the fact he can play.  Not that hard to understand.

Garts link said:
I think he is one of the biggest tools in the game.  But if we were struggling down the bottom of the ladder I would not be upset if we signed  a player of his calibre to help move us up.  No way would I consider him in our current situation but if things were different I would.  And I bet 3/4 of the posters on here would like the guy after he joined us.  Much like Perry, everyone hated him at Newcastle with a passion then he joins us and they love him. 

Watch round 22 and the GF again. He was useless. Its not stupid at all.

Jatz Crackers link said:
[quote author=Garts link=topic=179103.msg206387#msg206387 date=1233882089]

Watch round 22 and the GF again. He was useless. Its not stupid at all.
[/quote]

hahaha, 2 rounds and he is a **** player.  You been drinking heavily over the xmas new year period Jatz?  I know you are not that stupid.  Jeez Choc played a shocker in the GF in 07 plus a number of other games, is he a myth?

crocker is obviously a dickhead and I wouldn't like him even in a manly jersey. But he was v. valuable for storm, especially in 07. And in that brisbane final he was their best by a stretch. Btw, I still think that game was the reason we smashed them in the gf; crocker was as flat as any of theirs in the gf and not able to ramp it up when manly put the pressure on.
it was a joy to watch...

So everyone agrees he is a dickhead.

He could play some good footy in years gone past but what i am getting at is the fact that he had a reputation of being a hard nose type who could intimidate.

If he was to stake his footy on that today i say he is useless. He was massively outplayed in numerous games in 08 and when push came to shove (ala Kite) crocker was shown he couldnt handle it. A cheapshot merchant who got shown up.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6