Bullet out for 5 months. We're stuffed

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
Brett Stewart Sidelined for 5 Months
Wednesday, 17 March 2010
Manly fullback star Brett Stewart will undergo surgery next week on his left knee and will be sidelined for up to five months.

Stewart received the shattering news late last night and coach Des Hasler announced the extent of the injury to the media at the club’s training headquarters at the Sydney Academy of Sport at Narrabeen.

Stewart attended a team meeting where his team mates were informed of the extent of his injury sustained in making a try saving tackle on Wests Tigers winger Lote Tuqiri late in Monday night’s match at the Sydney Football Stadium.

“It a shattering blow to Brett personally and us as a club but we have to be positive and he is being positive despite his recent run of bad luck.

“We proved we can win matches without him last season and we can do it again. It’s not the end of the world by any means but it would be ridiculous not to suggest he won’t be missed – he is a champion player,” Hasler said.

The injury is identical to the one he sustained on his right knee last season and sidelined him from round five until round 25.

Stewart has told team mates he will be back on the field with them inside five months.

“He has set himself round 20 and it is good he is setting himself goals,” said CEO Graham Lowe.

“The Manly club knows how much of a fighter Brett is and he will be given the best of medical and rehabilitation support to get himself back where he belongs as soon as possible.

“He has been through it before and knows what to expect,” Lowe said.

I think we're all speechless, but I have been preparing myself for this, not the initial 6 week diagnosis.

Surely with 20 weeks of absence we cannot countenance using Robertson for that long?

Fark...

Farrar to fullback or bring Hoppa in.
If he is good enough he is old enough.

I am over Robbo at fullback.

dont understand some of this anti robbo stuff

my issue isnt robbo at fullback
its that robbo has to be replace by a lesser winger

i think the safest way to go would be this

1 Farrar
2 Hoppa
3 matai
4 Williams
5 Robbo

or
1 farrar
2 hoppa
3 matai
4 lyon / foran interchanging
5 robbo
6 lyon / foran interchanging
7 hokko

trex at 17 being used as a back rower instead of bailey

yeah but you never were the sharpest axe in the shed Cam :)

and its not anti Robbo, its anti playing him at FB

Brookvale link said:
I am shocked :(

Time we blood young Hoppa or Whare

Ageed - we need to blood them now..

Brett will find it hard to come back from 2 knee injuries - not good he is better off sitting out the year and coming back next year.

Our only options at fullback

Farrah - Good but prefers centres - did play at 5/8 for the Cowboys
Robbo - Our best and only winger
Hoppa Jnr - Still Young but is raw and talented
Dennis Sandow - never seen him play so no comment
Lyon - but needs the ball in his hands

Or sign a player who is not playing First Grade at the moment. Not sure who is out there maybe Wade McKinnon

Without his blistering speed, Stewart is just another average fullback. I've never look so little forward to a season as this one. Distraught.

what have we got to lose ?
for a long time the club have been spruiking the talents that Wil Hopoate has, so give him his shot if he has a bad few games then revert to plan B, What better game to blood the kid than against Parra, remember we got into 5th spot last yr without Brett

Fro link said:
yeah but you never were the sharpest axe in the shed Cam :)

and its not anti Robbo, its anti playing him at FB
oh sorry oh smart one
fro u need to get over yourself

We had a shocker to the start of the season both on and Off the field last year, and it looks like it is going to be the same again with the on field for us.

Not much you can do about it.

Last year our backline didn't get to its full starting line up until after round 5 with Brett out, robbo to fullback, williams injured and suniula etc suffering injuries too.

Looks like the same again.

In my opinion we either have to bring players up or buy a fullback from elsewhere, but we wont have much in the kitty to do it.

Our backline looks the weakest it has looked in years

I just saw our season hopes go right down the gurgler. What a pr!ck of a game Monday night has turned out to be, a bad beat followed by this news regarding Bretts knee.

I'm sure we can get someone to fill in adequately for Brett at the back, however the big issue is that 90% of our attacking plays and firepower is centered around him and his speed. Without him the offensive well is dry, can anyone see Des conjuring up a miracle and rejigging our attack ?? I have visions of last year with second man plays to Robbo get snuffed out without any drama because he doesn't have the speed to get outside his man. Teams will be pick us off without a problem if we keep trying to run that play. We need to refocus on our remaining attacking strength, which is Choc and Gifty on the fringe. Our outside backs lack pace so it's going to be up to the forwards to bust the line.  

Farrar at fullback for mine, he did great against the Storm last year in that windy game.

Then get Whare in and even start Hoppa on the wing.  It can't hurt and if we get pounded, go back to the old goats and park the T-tanic on the wing.

Just dreaming...  Maybe Whare and Hoppa will be in QLD cup for a few games before coming in?  I know they'd be salivating at the chance now.  Time for a real young (fast) team to show up and learn

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6