Burgess was concussed.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

dowdz

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Concussion stopped Sam Burgess remembering brother George’s grand final try until replays

Nick Walshaw
The Daily Telegraph
October 08, 2014 12:00AM

SOUTHS hero Sam Burgess was so concussed during the NRL Grand Final he could not recall the barnstorming try of brother George until watching replays on television 24 hours later.

In an intriguing twist to his Clive Churchill heroics, Burgess on Tuesday revealed he had little memory of the effort that saw him play all 80 minutes of the decider against Canterbury with a busted cheekbone and eye socket.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/concussion-stopped-sam-burgess-remembering-brother-georges-grand-final-try-until-replays/story-fni3gki8-1227083080110

I have no idea how anyone would go about policing this.

If it was Manly, you'd want him out there as would all of our players and staff.

He showed none of the usual signs of wobbly lolly legs, so what should the NRL do? Concussion tests after every tackle?

Early onset dementia really is a big problem for contact sport to address but short of stopping all such sport, I have no clue where the answer lies.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Broke the rules
Fine them

However The Daily Telegraph can reveal league’s governing body will not be investigating the Burgess matter — instead fining Canterbury $50,000 for being to slow to take the field on Sunday evening.

Looks like they won't be. Need the money to break the cap for Burgess :p

NRL CEO David Smith has executive powers to ensure that Souths are dispensation to break the concussion rule without fear of fines etc being applied - similar to their salary cps and Bargarse

I am surprised. He looked pretty lucid when he left the tackle and let the trainer know he thought something was wrong. No shaky legs, eyes looked focused. Maybe he's just trying to add to the aura of his performance...

Shoe1 said:
He was bleeding all game and nothing was done about it.

Yeah but Dave Smith has executive powers that say everyone needs to try as hard as possible to contract HIV from Sam Burgess. I mean who wouldnt want aids from big sammy? Its big sammy!

I called Dave smith, he said it was fine because the nrl has antidotes for blood borne diseases such as hep c, HIV, Ebola etc.

Sillybus said:
Shoe1 said:
He was bleeding all game and nothing was done about it.

Yeah but Dave Smith has executive powers that say everyone needs to try as hard as possible to contract HIV from Sam Burgess. I mean who wouldnt want aids from big sammy? Its big sammy!

Yeah further to that, smith said that his executive powers already extend to ignoring the cap for burgess, ignoring concussion for burgess, so it is a relatively simple thing to order anyone who contracts a blood borne disease on field to simply "get better". The procedure involves a laying on of hands by Greenberg.

What's the point in rugby league existing?

If health and safety matters so much no one should be allowed to play the game. Ever.

Hamster Huey said:
I am surprised. He looked pretty lucid when he left the tackle and let the trainer know he thought something was wrong. No shaky legs, eyes looked focused. Maybe he's just trying to add to the aura of his performance...

I agree. Hard to tell. He looked lucid, as you've said.
Perhaps the NRL should hire unemployed Julia Gillard to perform the sphincter test on suspected concussion cases and if the player does not react to it, they should be deemed concussed.

for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4NKGRhP3oU

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7