Burning Questions for 2016

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

TagMonster

Reserve Grader
Burning Questions for 2016: Sea Eagles

Tuesday, 09 Feb 2016

11:06am

Source: SportsFan

Are Manly in premiership contention?

In 2015, the Sea Eagles missed the finals for the first time since 2004. But a stunning recruitment drive would suggest last season will merely go down as an aberration. Along with the Warriors, Manly can lay claim to the best recruitment of any team for the 2016 season.

Dylan Walker comes across from the Rabbitohs, a premiership winner and also an Australian representative in 2014. Walker will partner Daly Cherry-Evans in the halves. He is joined by current Queensland and Australian representative Nate Myles on the club's list of purchases, along with New Zealand international and hard-hitting and devastating ball-running machine Martin Taupau.

Those high-profile buys join a list of already established stars at the club. The likes of Brett Stewart, Jamie Lyon, Steve Matai, and DCE have formed the nucleus of Manly's success over the last decade and remain at the club as they look to correct a forgettable 2015 campaign.

There is a smell of the Roosters of 2013 about the Manly side of 2016. The Bondi club finished 13th in 2012, but then added Sonny Bill Williams, James Maloney and Michael Jennings to their squad for 2013, and won a premiership. With a star-studded roster, Manly are definitely a chance of replicating the Roosters' efforts after finishing ninth last season.

How long will Trent Barrett last as coach?

The decision to replace Geoff Toovey as Manly coach with Barrett was a curious one, to say the least. Firstly, Toovey's record as coach of the club was largely impressive. In his four seasons, he finished fourth in 2012 (reaching the preliminary final). In 2013, they made the grand final, while in 2014 they placed second at the end of the regular season, and were eliminated from the semi-finals only because they suffered a long list of injuries. He only had one season of missing the finals last year and it wasn't a woeful effort from the club by any means - they missed out on the eight by a whisker.

Further to that, he was a club legend as a player, and those who go on to coach clubs they enjoyed illustrious playing careers with are usually granted more leeway than coaches who come from other clubs. And his replacement Trent Barrett is an outsider with no previous history at Manly. It is also his NRL coaching debut, so he is obviously an unknown and unproven proposition.

Sections of the Sea Eagles fan and membership base will no doubt still be livid with the club's treatment of Toovey, so you can bet they'll be on Barrett's back if the side isn't performing this season. Barrett has signed a three-year contract, but he'll have little chance of seeing that out if the Sea Eagles miss the finals again this year, especially considering the quality of the roster at his disposal. He needs success instantly to stay in his new job.

How does their draw look?

Great, if you are a Manly fan. Of the six clubs they only play once, three of them reached the top four in 2015 (Broncos, Roosters, Storm) and another reached the top eight (Dragons). They also avoid playing in two of the three Origin-affected rounds, with byes in rounds 12 and 18. It is a dream draw, which gives observers even more reason to believe Manly are genuine title contenders in 2016.

How will the Sea Eagles fare in 2016? Have your say in the comments section below.

Follow SportsFan on Twitter: @sportsfan_live

The views in this article are those of the author and not necessarily those of SportsFan.

I find it interesting that Manly have a "favorable draw". Analysing a teams draw by only utilising last years top 8 as a yard stick is very inaccurate. Doesn't take into account frequent traveling back to back and the infamous 3 games in 10 days fiasco.

He's right, the wild card is Barrett. He can make or break our roster and will polarise us.

The draw? My foot!!

I thought everyone had heard of Cyrus the pitch invader and 'the screaming eagles' podcast - catchup world!

Favourable draw - WTF ?:cool:

Monday nights, Thursday nights, more 5 day turnarounds than others and no local ground to play on :mad:

The Rorters are nothing like their 2015 roster, so playing them once is not an advantage either.

still dont understand why we dont play each team twice,one home one away,the way it was and should be.someone allways trys to fix sh*t that aint broken

I'm not a fan of origin in its current format, I'd rather watch Png v Tonga and Samoa v Fiji. Either make origin a single match or ramp it up and have origin week: game 1 wed game 2 Friday and game 3 ( if needed ) Sunday and have a 25 man origin squad Fill around it with city country, pacific tests, u20's and Qld v nsw residents. Make the season 16 rounds - play each team once plus rivalry round first and last week play your rival twice.
Add in a bye and that's 18 weeks plus all star and nines, finals and a four nations at the end of every season with Australia NZ and two other nations rotating.

Last edited:
still dont understand why we dont play each team twice,one home one away,the way it was and should be.someone allways trys to fix sh*t that aint broken
I agree with you, do away with the Nines, do away with the All Stars/Indigenous game, do away with the trials and go straight into the competition.
The players will complain of burnout, blah blah blah, but if the playing roster is increased to, say 30, from the current 25, then the players could be restricted to just playing 24 games per season, that way they don't play any more game than they currently do.
The extra games would probably provide extra revenue to both the clubs and the NRL, therefore a probable increase in the salary cap.
"But what am I saying", I'm just a humble footy fan, the NRL employed Shane Richo for a couple of years now at around $750,000 and he came up with jack****

Considering a new TV deal has already been signed for future seasons I would suggest the only chance is an increase rather than decrease in games

Burning Questions for 2016: Sea Eagles

How long will Trent Barrett last as coach?
Sections of the Sea Eagles fan and membership base will no doubt still be livid with the club's treatment of Toovey, so you can bet they'll be on Barrett's back if the side isn't performing this season. Barrett has signed a three-year contract, but he'll have little chance of seeing that out if the Sea Eagles miss the finals again this year, especially considering the quality of the roster at his disposal. He needs success instantly to stay in his new job.

How does their draw look?
Great, if you are a Manly fan.

The views in this article are those of the author and not necessarily those of SportsFan.

He nailed it as far as us fans being livid and agree with him about Barrett's long term viability.
However, disagree about the draw. The only fans saying its great are the Broncos fans - of course.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6