Burnsy and Groomy

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

willstyles

Bencher
Both showed why we let them go tonight.

Burns: I loved the bloke when he was at Manly. He's all heart and you had to respect him on the field, but he has so few attacking weapons and he gives away loads of penalties/gets suspended. He'll be on the sidelines for a few weeks now. Manly are better off without him.

Groomy: Everyone wanted him to make good and get to first grade, but the club knew he couldn't tackle. Whatever he adds in attack, it isn't enough to cover up his defensive problems. The turning point in tonight's game was Sau's second try - and it all came about because Groomy missed a routine tackle on Wes Naiqama. Wes is a big fella but it was all too easy for him.

On the flipside, Bailey was excellent again and Tony Williams looks to be a great purchase as well.

I've said it before that we rarely cry tears two years after we've let a player go.  Burns has been diabolical all season and it's debatable he'll see much more first grade this year.

How was that Williams run where he swatted off 5 Raiders?

travis didn't have a nickname of "Time bomb" for nothing  ::) ;D

His only attacking weapon that little right foot jink a sign goes up above his head that says when he is about to do it  :D He never had any attcking or kicking game, hot headness only gets u so far, look at mattai!!

I used to write loads about groom, junior legend but if you cannot tackle you will only go so far, will end up in england soon I'd say with kimmorley, ben barba around

willstyles link said:
Both showed why we let them go tonight.

Burns: I loved the bloke when he was at Manly. He's all heart and you had to respect him on the field, but he has so few attacking weapons and he gives away loads of penalties/gets suspended. He'll be on the sidelines for a few weeks now. Manly are better off without him.

Did we let Burns go? It was reported at the time that we had offered him a deal but the Cowboys offered more and he followed the money.

Having said that if Burns had stayed he would have offered us an alternative at 5/8 that we don't presently have.

I always thought Burns was our most over-rated player by a mile, i wasn't too concerned at all when we let him go.

I haven't seen enough of Groom to really judge him, but for the people that have, do you think we are better off having Foran/Cherry-Evans here than if we had Groom ?

Darren link said:
I used to write loads about groom, junior legend but if you cannot tackle you will only go so far, will end up in england soon I'd say with kimmorley, ben barba around

Ben Barba has the same problem though. Refuses to tackle. Otherwise he would've played first grade this year.

We absolutely let Burnsy go. Offered him less money and told him that Killer would be the first choice #6. He hardly had a choice...

And as for Cherry-Evans/Foran over Groomy...it's too early to tell. Like Darren said, Groom was great in the lower grades. There is a huge jump to first grade. Hopefully at least one of them can make it.

Travis who ?? He was just the finger in the dyke at 5/8, plugged a hole admirably but really offered nothing else.

Groom is only young and defensive issues can be worked on. Preston Campbell was supposed to be a defensive liability, but he has made a pretty solid NRL career for himself. Let's see what develops given time. He might learn a thing or two from The Gimp next year.

Watched both games and thought the same as willstyles.  Better of without them, although I had a soft spot for Travis.  All heart, but poor technique.

daly cherry evans is a orford protype half back, but he has awesome defensive skills!! in 1 game I saw him yell at the boys and went out and smacked 3 forwards in a row!! He is a tough boy, has a great kicking game, can put guys in the gap etc, I really like the look of him, he reminds me of a tim smith (without the problems) real in your face halfback, he definitely controls a match

Foran is entirely different, he is only 17 I think, he has all the skills and step, speed etc, nice kicking game, good defence for his age, he is more a lockyer type player, very attacking skills

Groom was a preston all the time, his defence is being shown up quite harshly

Burns had some good games for us and his defense and leg-high tackling style was very good. However he keeps displaying that hothead streak he had with us and was the principle reason we were not concerned when he wanted to go. He always wanted to head back to Qld. Watching those incidents yesterday I agree he will go for a long time.

To my knowledge Burns wanted to stay and we actually offered him an increase but he wanted a guaranteed crack at the number 6 and at that time Lyon wanted the spot. The Cowboys signed Burns when he was in hospital with Pneumonia and I would say by the way he is playing nowadays he has regretted that poor decision ever since.

Maybe I wasn't entirely clear. We didn't offer him less money than he was on at the time, but we offered him less than the Cowboys offered. And the Cowboys said he would be first choice #6 beside Thurston whereas the best Manly could give him was the possibility of a bench role (even that wouldn't have been assured after the signing of L'Estrange, who has been great).

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6