• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
SONNY Bill Williams admits if he knew his rugby tenure would have been this successful, he probably never would have made the handshake agreement that will see him return to the NRL next year.

Williams stands on the verge of leaving the game with a clean sweep of major trophies; the World Cup, a Super Rugby title, and if the All Blacks defeat the Wallabies tomorrow night, the Bledisloe Cup.

If he does, there will be no wild celebrations. Hours after the game at Eden Park, Williams will catch a flight to Japan and meet his new Panasonic Wildknights teammates in Ota City.

The All Black centre will return to league – believed to have been decided upon a handshake agreement with Roosters boss Nick Politis - once his Japanese rugby stint ends in January, but concedes he may have made a different decision in hindsight.

"You know when I came here three years ago I didn't even know if I could play rugby,” Williams said. “I didn't know how the future was going to unfold but it was good to have that security knowing that I had a job in three years’ time in rugby league.

“If things don't work out over there [Australia] as well as I hope then maybe I might be back here, but who knows what is going to happen?

“When I first came into the All Blacks squad I definitely felt like I didn't belong here, I didn't know anyone. I had come straight from ITM Cup and I felt like I was out of my depth. I was still improving as a rugby player.

"After being involved so long, and being involved in [19] Tests you really appreciate what you have. Now that I understand rugby I have got the utmost respect for it and you kind of look back on it definitely happy knowing you've been able to accomplish what you have.

"I've got one hand on that Bledisloe and I want to get both hands before I leave so I've been telling the boys, ‘send me off with a win brothers’.”

So is he saying he has to honour a handshake deal but could walk out on a signed contract?

SONNY Bill Williams admits if he knew his rugby tenure would have been this successful, he probably never would have made the handshake agreement that will see him return to the NRL next year.

Williams stands on the verge of leaving the game with a clean sweep of major trophies; the World Cup, a Super Rugby title, and if the All Blacks defeat the Wallabies tomorrow night, the Bledisloe Cup.

If he does, there will be no wild celebrations. Hours after the game at Eden Park, Williams will catch a flight to Japan and meet his new Panasonic Wildknights teammates in Ota City.

The All Black centre will return to league – believed to have been decided upon a handshake agreement with Roosters boss Nick Politis - once his Japanese rugby stint ends in January, but concedes he may have made a different decision in hindsight.

"You know when I came here three years ago I didn't even know if I could play rugby,” Williams said. “I didn't know how the future was going to unfold but it was good to have that security knowing that I had a job in three years’ time in rugby league.

“If things don't work out over there [Australia] as well as I hope then maybe I might be back here, but who knows what is going to happen?

“When I first came into the All Blacks squad I definitely felt like I didn't belong here, I didn't know anyone. I had come straight from ITM Cup and I felt like I was out of my depth. I was still improving as a rugby player.

"After being involved so long, and being involved in [19] Tests you really appreciate what you have. Now that I understand rugby I have got the utmost respect for it and you kind of look back on it definitely happy knowing you've been able to accomplish what you have.

"I've got one hand on that Bledisloe and I want to get both hands before I leave so I've been telling the boys, ‘send me off with a win brothers’.”

So is he saying he has to honour a handshake deal but could walk out on a signed contract?

Look, you can't knock the guy's talent but you can't help wonder about the hypocrisy of his actions as outlined in your last comment U.P.

In a way I admire his confidence and his bravery in only committing to a series of one year deals. He is basically saying he will back his ability year in, year out. But I do wonder what his teammates think of his lack of longish term commitment and what could be perceived as a mercenary type attitude..... have good fend and offload - will travel. Not particularly conducive to team harmony I would imagine.

Anyway, he is what he is. Any CEO or selector must know by now what they are going to get with the guy, so you'd be naive to think he's going to change his outlook in the short term. You pay for his talent and in most cases you've got to admit the guy delivers. If you want a leader and a person you can build a club and team culture around, then he probably isn't what you are looking for.

Look, you can't knock the guy's talent but you can't help wonder about the hypocrisy of his actions as outlined in your last comment U.P.

In a way I admire his confidence and his bravery in only committing to a series of one year deals. He is basically saying he will back his ability year in, year out. But I do wonder what his teammates think of his lack of longish term commitment and what could be perceived as a mercenary type attitude..... have good fend and offload - will travel. Not particularly conducive to team harmony I would imagine.

Anyway, he is what he is. Any CEO or selector must know by now what they are going to get with the guy, so you'd be naive to think he's going to change his outlook in the short term. You pay for his talent and in most cases you've got to admit the guy delivers. If you want a leader and a person you can build a club and team culture around, then he probably isn't what you are looking for.

Yep. I've changed my tune. Would have liked to see him in Manly colours not so long ago. There is absolutely no point (football wise) to the roosters signing him for 1 year. If they were on the verge of premiership glory then yeah, sign him for 1 year. All he will do is bring people through the gate and maybe sneak into the 8. Then in 2014 they'll be **** again.

Yep. I've changed my tune. Would have liked to see him in Manly colours not so long ago. There is absolutely no point (football wise) to the roosters signing him for 1 year. If they were on the verge of premiership glory then yeah, sign him for 1 year. All he will do is bring people through the gate and maybe sneak into the 8. Then in 2014 they'll be **** again.

This is just a PR stunt i reckon, While i have no doubts he wants to keep playing union, the man has a reputation to not keeping his word, and this is an attempt to prove he is now a man of honor, and he is forgoing his deep desire just to fulfill a handshake agreement

What a guy

This is just a PR stunt i reckon, While i have no doubts he wants to keep playing union, the man has a reputation to not keeping his word, and this is an attempt to prove he is now a man of honor, and he is forgoing his deep desire just to fulfill a handshake agreement

What a guy

Perhaps its not hypocrisy, perhaps he has changed as a person, and now values his word.

Who knows, I'm not going to judge him, he didn't screw over this club, or anyone I know or care about. If the Dogs want to be bitter about it then good, let them.

Perhaps its not hypocrisy, perhaps he has changed as a person, and now values his word.

Who knows, I'm not going to judge him, he didn't screw over this club, or anyone I know or care about. If the Dogs want to be bitter about it then good, let them.

Chip and Chase said:
In a way I admire his confidence and his bravery in only committing to a series of one year deals. He is basically saying he will back his ability year in, year out.

Don't be fooled, the only reason he is doing 1 year deals is so he can play Rugby overseas in the off season. An NRL contracted player cannot play for another code, thus 1 year deals so he is free at the end of each season.

It's only ever been about MONEY!!!

I cant believe the Roosters still want him.

Comes in for a year on massive $$ and potentially costs the Roosters 1 or 2 or even 3 good younger players, disrupts the team structure (not that they have much but still) and all this for 1 season.

Doesn't add up.

I reckon there is more than a handshake deal already done but they just can't announce it because than the NRL wouldn't have let him play in Japan.

Ralphie said:
Chip and Chase said:
In a way I admire his confidence and his bravery in only committing to a series of one year deals. He is basically saying he will back his ability year in, year out.

Don't be fooled, the only reason he is doing 1 year deals is so he can play Rugby overseas in the off season. An NRL contracted player cannot play for another code, thus 1 year deals so he is free at the end of each season.

It's only ever been about MONEY!!!

It might only be about the money yes , but he does back his ability and not to mention if he gets injured or something, that means he is done for the year and also year after if serious so there is risk with it. He works a year and gets paid for it ,look at him as like a contractor for your work lol.

What a guy. I stand and applaud.

Any guy who screws over the dogs is a class act in my opinion.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4