Call for NRL to trial players wearing gloves

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
WHEN Ron Massey talks rugby league you listen and this week one of the game's great innovators had a thought: why don't we let NRL players wear gloves like they do in NFL?

Massey was at home watching the football on ESPN when a sports science segment grabbed his attention.

It showed how the new high-tech silicone-coated gloves had reduced the average number of dropped balls last season in NFL by 12 per cent.

Massey explained: "It has certainly helped them and, I mean, they are not dumb over there. They wouldn't be using them if they didn't work."

The study tested the force it takes to dislodge balls squeezed in consistent pressure, what host John Brenkus referred to as the coefficient of friction.

It is essentially a material's resistance to sliding and, as Brenkus' experiment proved, these new gloves are 2 1/2 times stickier than car tyres.

"And compared to an older pair of receiver gloves," he explained, "the latest gloves require nearly 25 per cent more force to dislodge a ball."

Massey added: "They take some miraculous catches over there, which are thrown pretty fast and pretty long. And they all wear them.

"I think anything that makes it easier for our wingers and fullbacks to handle the football has to be a plus for the game. I don't know whether they would consider it now or not but the one thing we want in our game is to improve and cut out the mistakes.

"Well, this is one that would certainly reduce the handling mistakes by a good percentage. I believe it has a lot to offer."

Gloves have been worn in the AFL since the mid-1990s but at the beginning of 2012 concerns were raised that the new "sticky" gloves were giving some players a significant - and unfair - advantage.

"It feels like you can't drop a mark with it," one player said at the time. "They're so sticky that all you have to do is just put one hand out and it sticks."

Which is also the immediate fear for rugby league, that it could change the fabric of the game. But what if it improves the quality of the spectacle - is that good or bad?

Gloves were first trialled more than 20 years ago in rugby league when Tim Sheens was coaching Canberra but the game's administrators outlawed the idea before it really got going.

Sheens recalled this week: "Gary Belcher wore them at training and in a trial - that would have been 1991 - and the league rang up and knocked it back. They reckoned it was dangerous with the way they were put together.

"They said it was more likely to cause damage to a player from the point of view of cutting him. They were a little rough, I have to admit, but mind you they were a lot different in those days."

Given the advances in the gloves and the fact we now play so much night football, Sheens has no doubt the idea is worth another look.

"It could be something that could be revisited, there is no doubt, depending on the condition of the glove," he said.

"The gloves could be something you could do in the All Stars game or in the 20s (Toyota Cup) to trial it. I'm not calling for it but it could be trialled, no doubt."

Massey has long been an innovator. He was the brains behind Jack Gibson and is a man who still gives advice on league and life to today's coaches like Wayne Bennett and Ricky Stuart.

"These blokes are defying the laws of gravity," Massey said about the modern player. "I never thought I'd see better wingers than Eric Grothe and Ken Irvine but these blokes today, what they do and the tries they have scored ... It is just unbelievable what they can do.

"They are scoring tries that have never been scored before and if this could improve their handling, why not?"

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/call-for-nrl-to-trial-players-wearing-gloves/story-e6frexnr-1226537201012

I think that is a stupid idea. Some guys do need gloves like Choc. But I like the lottery of a potential dropped ball from a bomb. The NFL is all about percentages with no real chance of error in every single down or play. NRL is heading in the same path even though the players are more skill full than ever, there no room for mistakes. I don't think the NRL should allow it.

Why not go all the way cover the gloves, playing strip and ball in velcro... at least when a player takes a difficult ball at the moment you know it is because of talent, not technology.....stupid, stupid idea.

First they ban the shoulder charge... Now they want players wearing gloves... Skirts can't be far behind...

Ron Massey may be suprised to learn that they don't 'all wear them over there', especially quarterbacks - you know, the guys who pass the ball. Which is the main reason why it wouldn't work in rugby league, good luck trying to pass consistently wearing reciever gloves.

Article seems like it was written to get the old tradionalists all scarlet faced & frothing at the mouth, no way it is actually seriously being considered.

MadMarcus said:
First they ban the shoulder charge... Now they want players wearing gloves... Skirts can't be far behind...
you beat me to it MadMarcus,they might as take away the whole skill of the game,agree with you 100%

Wolfpack said:
Ron Massey may be suprised to learn that they don't 'all wear them over there', especially quarterbacks - you know, the guys who pass the ball. Which is the main reason why it wouldn't work in rugby league, good luck trying to pass consistently wearing reciever gloves.

Article seems like it was written to get the old tradionalists all scarlet faced & frothing at the mouth, no way it is actually seriously being considered.

It would also definitely increase the injury rate with the scratching from gloves. You get tackled 20 times around the legs a game and the friction of the rough gloves will wear the players skin down.
Hey wolfpack. Do you play gridiron in NSW as that is the name of the state gridiron team. And seems you like and know abit about gridiron.

eagleE said:
Wolfpack said:

It would also definitely increase the injury rate with the scratching from gloves. You get tackled 20 times around the legs a game and the friction of the rough gloves will wear the players skin down.
Hey wolfpack. Do you play gridiron in NSW as that is the name of the state gridiron team. And seems you like and know abit about gridiron.

Nah don't play, would love to but just isn't possible thanks to my line of work.

There's a league in NSW, quite a few teams in the comp from memory. State team is called the Wolfpack haha, but that isn't where I got my username from. Nice pickup though.

Yeah, then we could wear helmets to limit head injuries and tights to make it harder to tackle and then when we drop the ball ( which we shouldn't because we wear gloves ) we can bring on a more defensive team.

OR they could put coloured tags on their shorts and instead of tackling they have to grab the tags.

Funny that many players in the NFL (like Heinz Ward) want them to get rid of the helmets and go back to headgear as a way of decreasing the amount of head injuries in the sport. The idea being that if you're wearing a helmet you lead with your head and use it as a weapon - which is pretty much what NFL players do.
But I digress. Ron Massey, you're an idiot.

Ron Massey must be 110 years old. Wasn't he around with Jack Gibson? Anyway I digress as well. Stupid idea. The NFL is a game of throw and catch. Our game is just not that simple.

I think the idea has merit. I think it should be the personal choice of the player. I note that not everyone in the AFL wear them, some do, some don't.

They already have tactile surfaces embedded into the players jerseys to improve the grip between the jersey and the ball and reduce the likelihood of it being dislodged in the tackle. What is the difference between that and a grip improving glove ??

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
What's wrong with a simple genetic modification to make the players' hands sticky? Maybe like Spiderman? At least that way you'd eliminate the risk that they'd forget to bring their gloves for some big game.

I think massey is in some nursing home at the moment and must have come up with this grand plan just after his mid morning nap.
I don't know why the newspapers gave this idea the time of day, obviously there is very little other rugby league news at the moment.
Let's kill this thread.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6