Can we beat a top 3 / 4 side?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

XV-1

First Grader
We haven't beaten a decent team for 2 to 3 years now.
Foran gets offered an extension, but we still can't beat a decent team with him playing.
We need to invest in youth, and we have plenty.

The tine is now

First of all we need to be at full strength and If we can hold the good sides in the middle third, we have the attack to beat anyone. I'm just not sure we have the forwards to do it unfortunately.

We can and will with a full strength team
But not this shoot out style trying to win 46 - 42
Need more steel in defence and the ability to shut down opposition attacking shifts, I mean EVERY time the opposition go wide they look likely....
Koula has shut down a few of these shifts, showing his more experienced players how to move up and shut down the attack.
Also losing penalties and 50/50 calls which many will blame officials which to a degree can be, but also on the players not using more energy and tempo which helps win these decisions
Anyways in short - I think we will get some Top 4 wins and will be more based on improved defence than attack

Gee we seem to cop a lot of injuries.
For once Walker didn't limp off, and he played very well.
For us to beat a top team we need to have Turbo, Al and Guacca back.
I thought tonight's performance was the best this season, but injuries and unfortunate circumstances prevented a win.

We haven't beaten a decent team for 2 to 3 years now.
Foran gets offered an extension, but we still can't beat a decent team with him playing.
We need to invest in youth, and we have plenty.

The tine is now

Like you said, we haven't for a very long time (years). We keep hearing questions and excuses by the club and fans. What we need are answers and results.

They start with Des. I do still question his ability. On paper, this team is MUCH better than our constant floggings.

Do you realise they played the game with 12 men?
Who's faults that ? They got 40 points scored on them for Ill discipline.

Sorry, I can't celebrate stupidity on the field. We.also had quite a few passengers tonight who should have stepped up.

That said, there WERE some stand out performers also (Foz, DCE)

But it's that inconsistency in the playing group that's crueling us.

The answer is yes we can.

Look, add Turbo, Aloiai, Olakau'atu, Davey and Paseka to that side and we blow Souths off the park tonight.
100% agree, we had a lot of fire power out tonight, and played with 12 for 82min, and came close to pulling of a miracle win. Gota say loved Marty in his early yrs with us, but that attempted off-load in traffic close to our 30m line that led to them scoring right on HT was a hookable offence if ever there was.

100% agree, we had a lot of fire power out tonight, and played with 12 for 82min, and came close to pulling of a miracle win. Gota say loved Marty in his early yrs with us, but that attempted off-load in traffic close to our 30m line that led to them scoring right on HT was a hookable offence if ever there was.

As I said in the game day thread ... you can pretty much always expect something dumb from Marty in our first set after we score. Its almost like clockwork. It will either be a dropped ball, or a stupid, not needed attempt to pass/offload like he did tonight.

For someone of his experience, his discipline with the ball in hand sucks.

Who's faults that ? They got 40 points scored on them for Ill discipline.

Sorry, I can't celebrate stupidity on the field. We.also had quite a few passengers tonight who should have stepped up.

That said, there WERE some stand out performers also (Foz, DCE)

But it's that inconsistency in the playing group that's crueling us.
Well I'm not exactly celebrating either but that is a loss where I'm proud of the team. Even the guy who lost it by getting sent off, clearly wasn't on purpose, if anything trying too hard and lost concentration.

Anyhow I know you are right about giving up 40 and losing the game but gee we have some real top talent coming into the side and that makes me feel optimistic :)

I think we are building the right mental attitude to beat the top four sides. But we also have to continue to introduce new blood into the team and not select players who are inconsistent and have regular errors in their game, e.g. Taupau. To beat the top teams, every player needs to be perform at their optimum level.

There is enough talent in the current squad, it’s how it is used and played, I think the best 17 to give the topsides a run is the 17 below.

1. Turbo
2. Garrick
3. Tippytoes
4. Koula
5. Jorge
6. Schuster
7. Foran
8. Jake
9. DCE
10. Alioia
11. Guaca
12. Davey
13. Walker
14. Croker
15. Keppie
16. Tent
17. Tuitavake

I’d take loss after loss after loss to see a guy like Foran wear our jumper with pride and respect like he did tonight. One of the best performances in a Manly jumper I can ever remember.
Yep, tough as nails .
You just know he has a heart the size of Phar Lap in there.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6