Canterbury at it again!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagle66

Bencher
Back in 1947, after the Grand Final, which Canterbury lost, they went to Queensland to play a couple of matches. First up, they were against Brisbane. Brisbane won the match to the tune of 60-2.
Allegations were rife that Canterbury players were drunk.
The investigations dragged on from 24/9/47 to 14/10/47. In that time, Canterbury refuted players were drunk, stated they were not going to hold an investigation if the NSWRL were going to and then decided to hold one.
On the day, the managers of the team gave each player 5 pounds and left them on the day of the game with kick off at night. After they picked up the players from the ground, took them back to the hotel for dinner and back to the game for kickoff. You wonder what they did with their 5 pound bonus for the four hours they were left alone.
The Brisbane Rugby League found that some of the Canterbury team were drunk. The NSWRL had (not in an official capacity) a board member at the game and he eventually named two players who were intoxicated.

What amazes me is how history often repeats itself in Rugby League and I am not just commenting about Canterbury.
If I was just commenting about Canterbury, I would point out how earlier in the year (1947) the players threatened to boycott because they were overlooked for match of the day fixtures.

Very good point. On a related topic, it has been reported that Nero fiddled while Rome burned. There's a petition being circulated calling for Nero's (posthumous) impeachment for this poor sportsmanship, and I urge everyone to sign. Let's get some justice around here.

Can we start a new forum...."I am bored sh!tless in the off season and I just gunna post cr@p"

I can't believe the scandal what a terrible job Greenberg is doing getting all those players drunk in 1947

So when is the Silvertails colour scheme changing over to blue and white and the emblem to a Bulldog to go with the constant Bulldog's threads that keep being posted?

Jethro said:
So when is the Silvertails colour scheme changing over to blue and white and the emblem to a Bulldog to go with the constant Bulldog's threads that keep being posted?

Need a waaambulance?

Jethro said:

This is a Rugby League forum, Jethro. Not a Manly only forum!

Stevo said:
Jethro said:

This is a Rugby League forum, Jethro. Not a Manly only forum!

Yes, I know that but in my opinion it would be good to see a lot more other Rugby League content here instead of focusing on so many Bulldogs this, Bulldogs that, Bulldogs something else type threads. Other than Manly and the Bulldogs, there are 14 other NRL teams that could also be discussed as well as local, state, interstate and international teams too.

Stevo said:
You missed the irony

No I didn't. I know that I am always pointing out that this is not a Manly forum but rather a Rugby League forum. My comment wasn't to say that all comments should be about Manly in this forum but I would like to see a shift away from the constant focus on the Bulldogs as there are other teams and Rugby League news to comment on. :flogger:

It is what it is. If people want to talk about the other 14 clubs, they will. In the meantime this is where we are at as a collective fan base.

This too shall pass....................

Can anybody shed some light on how the Dogs players handled the 91-3 defeat to Saints back in 1935 ?

Not sure I will be able to sleep until I know

Hmmm, 1947. 65 years ago. So will history repeat itself in 2077, when the Bulldogs play up after the grand final against Ulan Bator in the Mongolian conference?

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6