Captain's Challenge: success or not?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
I tend to think it was a success and should be introduced to the NRL.
I'm also in favour of a time limit on the setting of scrums, but no longer than 20-seconds. The original 35-seconds was a joke, with players waiting until the last second.

Yep, as long as there's no video ref interjection other than trys. You just go with the onfield decision unless the ref makes a howler. Some teams will be greedy and get punished for their stupidity, but bad luck.

We should just do away with scrums and take the word Rugby out of the name of the game. Union is getting way too much publicity from this whole Jarryd Hayne thing.

I like it. One of the knocks is that kids are taught to respect the refs decision and a captain challenge goes against that. I tend to agree with it so one option to change it is a coaches challenge. Thoughts?

FFS why aren't forward passes included?! In fact, it should not even count as a challenge. Refs should get vidiot's to check any line balls, after all EVERYTHING else is checked these days..... and the best part would be there's another sponsor opportunity... a spinning Big Mac on the big screen reveals if pass has gone forward.. it's a McTRY!!
KFC might get a bit upset but Toddy will sort out the finer details, he always does...

What is not to like. You are pissing off the video ref out of the game and leaving it up to players out on the field to say was that a try. Knock on etc.

It is rare u don't know out on the field.

I could not believe the commentators fitler and Lockyer I think it was on this topic gf day.

NRL trying to brain wash us so we get more KFC time, perhaps? Dave Smith may also suggest we throw forward passes and call ourselves grid iron. As he believes we will make more money that way.

Still think 1 ref or 1 ref that polices the defense all game and one that polices attack all game, no switching rubbish.
That would make a better game with more consistent calls. Bunker is rubbish and captains challenge wont work, how is that going to stop an arrogant NRL and referee from saying they are right.

Then you have this bunker rubbish. The NRL have lost the plot

Problem with challenge system was highlighted in the Manly 20's game a few weeks ago when on the fourth tackle the ref called a knock on against TomT and then Manly challenged it and proved that he didn't knock it on,thus giving Manly a full set about 20 out.Point being that why should the opposition team be disadvantaged by the mistake of the ref by having to defend a full set again?The system needs a bit more fine tuning but has potential but I also wonder how well it will work with the TV scrutinising everything

The captain's challenge was a success in my eyes.

I don't buy - at all - Fittler's claim that the captain's challenge diminishes the authority of the refs. Firstly, the refs still decide on the challenge. Second, it actually results in less player disputes with refereeing decisions because they have it under their own control to risk a challenge. Put up or shut up.

The ideal, IMO, would be to have the ref who made the original call also decide on the challenge. Sure you get some people who can't accept they've made a mistake no matter what evidence is presented. But it would make their unsuitability for refereeing even more overt.

The attacking team should also be able to call "no try, let's get on with it" as long as the ref is comfortable with the restart procedure. Like in a held up type situation. Of course you wouldn;t let them call an air swing and believe them as it might be a knock on but even if it saves only 2 or 3 wasted minutes per game, it's worth it.

FFS why aren't forward passes included?! In fact, it should not even count as a challenge. Refs should get vidiot's to check any line balls, after all EVERYTHING else is checked these days..... and the best part would be there's another sponsor opportunity... a spinning Big Mac on the big screen reveals if pass has gone forward.. it's a McTRY!!
KFC might get a bit upset but Toddy will sort out the finer details, he always does...
Difficult to consider forward passes due to camera angles which can sometimes be deceiving from side on. Although with the number of cameras on the games today, including spidercam, perhaps it now may be more possible to view the pass from above provided it's in line with the run of play. Agree with you otherwise.

Last edited:
I like the put up or shut up aspect of it and like in cricket the smarter teams will only challenge when they are pretty sure they are right.

Just like LBW challenges are risky in cricket (Hi Watto!), NRL players might be less likely to challenge for obstruction as it is unlikely to be conclusively proven that the ref has made an error. That way I will spend less time looking at endless replays that only serve to enhance my awareness that I know nothing about the rules.

In tennis admittedly the rules are simple and the challenges are lighting fast but it has basically taken whinging about line calls completely out of the sport.

And hookers actually playing the role of hooker too instead of lock or pivot or something other than their traditional role !!!

I've still got bumps and scars on my shins from actually striking at the ball. We went an entire season once without losing a scrum. My secret, two overly aggressive props to dangle between, and a love of delivering upper cuts. Ahhh, the old loose arm in the scrum and the raking of your opposition hookers shins and knees, even after a successful strike and scrum win. Those were the days. lol

I've still got bumps and scars on my shins from actually striking at the ball. We went an entire season once without losing a scrum. My secret, two overly aggressive props to dangle between, and a love of delivering upper cuts. Ahhh, the old loose arm in the scrum and the raking of your opposition hookers shins and knees, even after a successful strike and scrum win. Those were the days. lol
How right you are, the scrum is no more, on the very rare occasion when the ball is won against the feed, the shock resonating from the commentary box says it all, they have removed the contest from the game.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6